aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
raydarkhorse, then i am backwards too.

#93050 - 04/30/07 08:44 PM Re: firesteel or magnesium? [Re: kevingg]
boomtown Offline

Loc: Indiana, USA
Magnesium + Belly-button lint = Fire

Legal disclaimer: As good as a storage compartment as it seems,do not put Magnesium in the belly-button to light the fire. grin

#93072 - 04/30/07 11:38 PM Re: firesteel or magnesium? [Re: kevingg]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Personally, IMHO, there is no substitute for flint & steel. I am NOT claiming to be even a "sometimes practicioner", in fact, I've never been able to start a fire with flint and steel. I do know that it is possible. With practice, it is even pretty quick to do, and I know that when all else fails, I will get the darn thing to spark, so I can have a fire!!!!!

That said, I admit that my "preferred cheating method" of starting a fire with damp or wet wood is to pile a great deal
of twigs on top of a Triox tablet and touch the tablet with a lighted match. Then I pile on bigger sticks and so on, and I have a glorious fire very quickly.

I know, I should be ashamed of myself,and I am!!!!!!

Additional note: I also carry magnesium firestarter as well because, when I want a fire, I want the fire now!

#93533 - 05/03/07 09:32 PM Re: firesteel or magnesium? [Re: raydarkhorse]
Craig_phx Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Originally Posted By: raydarkhorse
I'm beginning to feel a little backward my flint is my primary tool for starting a fire, I use it first and save the lighter and matches for when I'm in trouble.

+1 for using the fire steel/ferro rod first. Mine is pulled from a StrikeForce: 1/2" x 2 1/4" of pyrotechnic wonder. Fine shave some wood or pull out a Coghlan's Emergency Tinder and flames will soon appear. grin

#93553 - 05/03/07 11:27 PM Re: firesteel or magnesium? [Re: kevingg]
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, Washington
The only downside I have ever found with the magnesium bar/firesteel is with a round version I had.....the magnesium was drilled for carry...which I did on a keychain and sometime during carry the firesteel dropped off the magnesium.

The glue bond has always bothered me and I will no longer carry such combo sets on a keychain or where the loss of the firesteel is likely.

I almost never ever bothered with the Mg shavings though.

#93561 - 05/04/07 12:26 AM Re: firesteel or magnesium? [Re: Schwert]
Be_Prepared Offline
Addict

Loc: Massachusetts
Originally Posted By: Schwert
The only downside I have ever found with the magnesium bar/firesteel is with a round version I had.....the magnesium was drilled for carry...which I did on a keychain and sometime during carry the firesteel dropped off the magnesium.

The glue bond has always bothered me and I will no longer carry such combo sets on a keychain or where the loss of the firesteel is likely.

I have worried a little about that before too. I have carried this current one on my keychain for 5+ years, and it still seems very secure, but, I wonder if the epoxy eventually weakens? I included a picture of it in an earlier post. The rod is glued/epoxied to the magnesium, which has a slot routed into it that the bar is layed into. How long had you carried yours before it fell apart? Thx

- Ron

#93575 - 05/04/07 02:02 AM Re: firesteel or magnesium? [Re: Be_Prepared]
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, Washington
Mine was very similar to yours and I am guessing I lost the firesteel rod within a year of carrying it. It may have dropped out long before I noticed, but one day I just looked at it and all I had was useless magnesium.

These combos seem fine in a kit or a pouch or something where the glue giveing way would not provide the useless part.

I have a Doan that I have had for probably 2 decades and it is still glued. I have no idea who made the one I had but regardless I consider the design a flaw. The firesteel should be the drilled part. Who cares if the Mg falls off.

#93580 - 05/04/07 02:24 AM Re: firesteel or magnesium? [Re: Schwert]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
You could always put a ranger band around it to make sure the flint doesn't fall off. I just toss mine in the first aid kit as a redundant backup.

#93588 - 05/04/07 03:07 AM Re: firesteel or magnesium? [Re: aloha]
Be_Prepared Offline
Addict

Loc: Massachusetts
Originally Posted By: aloha
You could always put a ranger band around it to make sure the flint doesn't fall off. I just toss mine in the first aid kit as a redundant backup.

That's interesting. I originally had it covered with electrical shrink wrap tubing, but, then one day I needed to use it, and cut off the shrink wrap... and that was about 3 years ago, and it's still not shrink wrapped again. Something that can be slipped on and off is a good idea.

- Ron

#93589 - 05/04/07 03:11 AM Re: firesteel or magnesium? [Re: kevingg]
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
Personal preference. Use what works for you - neither are any good if you can't get a fire going with them.

And Chris K is right on the money - I always have some fatwood. Cut a store-bought piece into thirds, pre-split one into toothpick sized pieces, and toss all of it in with the PJ cotton balls. A pinch of a cotton ball and 3-4 little bits of fatwood will start anything but dripping wet kindling everytime for me.

I've almost forgotten how to use a BIC or matches - I always use a FC rod. EDC, left front pocket, BSA HotSpark quick-clipped to a tiny Meyerco lock back (triple redundant knife). Clip is sort of like a tiny Fastex with a keyring on each end - came with the knife and wish I could find a source of them.

The FC rods that Martin sells are awesome - I can start birch bark, dry grass, pounded cedar bark, etc directly without any intermediates. One is in my pack as an uber back-up to my Hot Spark.

Personally, the mag bars are a waste of space/time/effort. But that's my personal preference <grin>. Happy scraping.

Tom

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (adam2), 574 Guests and 53 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.