Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#92371 - 04/25/07 01:41 PM Re: Sigg aluminium box: boiling water? [Re: halogen]
simplesimon Offline

The hard anodized aluminium pans available now are lighter than steel uk mess tins, cook better and easier to clean. Rectangular mess tins aren't as great as people think. they don't fit together tightly, rattle and are the wrong shape for use on a stove.
Simon

#92374 - 04/25/07 01:56 PM Re: Sigg aluminium box: boiling water? [Re: halogen]
simplesimon Offline

From on-line edition of backpacker magazine:
Simon

GSI Outdoors Hard Anodized Extreme Cookware

Lightweight, durable, and easy to clean, this is the best camp cookware we've used.

By Jonathan Dorn, BACKPACKER Editor-in-Chief, April 2001

Photo by Steve Howe

There isn't a hungry backpacker in the land who won't appreciate the performance of GSI's remarkable new Hard Anodized Extreme cookware. We cooked more than 100 meals using two Extreme cooksets last fall and winter and never mangled an omelette or burned a burrito.

The Extreme pots are made from lightweight aluminum that's been "hard anodized," a process that alters and toughens the cooking surfaces. The result is an almost scratchproof finish; our pans show only a few tiny nicks. Anodization also creates a permanent nonstick surface (there's no coating to wear off) that let us bake fry bread, pancakes, and cookies without using oil. There's so little scorching that dish duty rarely amounts to more than a quick wipe.

Even better, the pots distribute heat more efficiently than other camp cookware we've tried, which translates into faster boiling times, even cooking, and reduced fuel consumption. On one weeklong hike, we marveled at how fast we brewed hot drinks for a party of seven and at how much fuel was left at week's end-despite the addition of two unaccounted-for hikers. We also found that the pans fried evenly rather than browning just a little spot in the center. (Test the heat distribution for yourself: Boil water side by side in this pot and another aluminum one, and note how the circle of bubbles on the bottom of the GSI pot is farther from the center.)

GSI's Hard Anodized Extreme cookware comes in five- and seven-piece sets, mess kits, fry pans, and other styles. It isn't the least expensive on the market, but it may be the best value due to its durability and groundbreaking, no-fuss performance.

HARD ANODIZED EXTREME COOKWARE
Price: $61
Weight (mfr./BP): 1 LB 10 oz./2 lbs.

#92442 - 04/25/07 08:15 PM Re: Sigg aluminium box: boiling water? [Re: halogen]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Two one gallon ziplock bags over the outside and everything that MUST stay dry is in waterproof packaging already, with the whole thing slipped into a spare watch cap so the bags don't get chewed up. It's pretty waterproof.

Mine is the French copy, who's handle I like better, and it's pretty light already. Aluminum construction, and while it is thicker than the Sigg, it IS designed for being in/over/on fire.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i132/ironraven/100_1276re.jpg

I learned that the second ziplock is a GOOD thing last fall when I found that friction had rubbed a hole through the single one.

Edited by ironraven (04/25/07 08:19 PM)
Edit Reason: wanted link not a photo

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#92537 - 04/26/07 12:55 PM Re: Sigg aluminium box: boiling water? [Re: ironraven]
simplesimon Offline

The UK tins are also shiny so they reflect heat and are difficult to clean. If you think the latter is insignifcant; I'd argue a surival situation is the last time you need food poisoning. The handles also don't lock. Try pouring from them and they can easilyclose and spill.
Worse of all from a soldiering point of view: the shiny metal can give away your position. Though that's an advantage for a survivor.
Simon

#92544 - 04/26/07 01:36 PM Re: Sigg aluminium box: boiling water? [Re: simplesimon]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
The UK tins are also shiny so they reflect heat and are difficult to clean.

I would agree that the UK mess tins are difficult to clean and should really only be used to boil water. They are quite good for heating MREs, UK ration foil sachets in boiling water as they fit quite nicely inside. The boiling water is then used for the beverages. I certainly wouldn't attempt to fry your eggs and bacon in one of them. They were designed to be used with a hexamine stove which would soon blacken the bottom of the mess tin to allow greater heat transfer. The handles don't lock, and they can sometimes be awkward to pour boiling water. Just pour the boiling water from the opposite corners from the handle and you will be fine. They are also very cheap to buy.

#92585 - 04/26/07 05:21 PM Re: Sigg aluminium box: boiling water? [Re: simplesimon]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Mine are neither shiny nor hard to clean. But all I do with it is boil water and make rice or instant potatoes. :P

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 255 Guests and 45 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by clearwater
Yesterday at 06:11 PM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.