The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#92299 - 04/24/07 08:30 PM Re: Brass Sierra Cup [Re: monkey]
monkey Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
Hey everyone.

The AT Forum I mentioned in one of my last posts got me information that put the brakes on. One of the regulars is the founder of Brasslite alcohol stoves. His comment to me was,

"...it would have to be tin plated on the inside or you couldn't ever drink from it. Brass is poisionous and should never be used to store food or consumable liquids."

It's probably safe to assume the toxicity is the reason the cups went out of production. Aaron also went on to describe the manufacturing process, explaining Brass must be cold forged while the materials I am finding the cups in are most likely stamped. I fully expected cost to be the reason brass is out of production, but was surprised to find it's no good for you physically. I did a little Google research and found good enough arguments to discontinue my search.

If anyone happens to run across some of these brass cups let me know. I would still buy them for the novelty/sentament.

Thanks again for all your help everyone. This is a pretty awesome community!!

m

#92301 - 04/24/07 09:06 PM Re: Brass Sierra Cup [Re: monkey]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
Originally Posted By: monkey
Hey everyone.
"...it would have to be tin plated on the inside or you couldn't ever drink from it. Brass is poisionous and should never be used to store food or consumable liquids."

I think your friend is misinformed. Don't look now, but there are probably brass fittings in your plumbing.

Brass is mainly composed of copper and zinc. Some brass alloys contain lead, for example, to make them more machinable, but that's not a good material for a cup.

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#92302 - 04/24/07 09:46 PM Re: Brass Sierra Cup [Re: thseng]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Brass utensils or food containers that are not enamelled or tinned adequately can lead to copper poisoning and conditions like childhood cirrhosis of the liver. It's the acids in foods that reacts with the brass to leach out copper. A different but related problem with some brass utensils is lead because sometimes a mixture of tin + lead is used to "tin" brass utensils, causing lead toxicity, too. Both situations are quite rare in the US these days, but still cause problems in countries like India where untinned or inadequately tinned brass utensils can still be found.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 241 Guests and 72 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.