Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#92170 - 04/23/07 10:59 PM When did you last use an EDC item?
Themalemutekid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
I got to use some of my stuff just the other night. My GF and I were home watching tv (SNL), when her parents called saying that they were stuck on a highway without gas. Since I never let the fuel gauge go below its halfway point, I don't have a gas can in my truck.We used one that my GF had in her car, we filled it and took off to help them out. When we got there & tried to use the spout on the can it wouldn't reach the opening of the gas tank. Turns out the gas tank was meant to be used on lawnmovers. So I used my edc blade (an Emerson) to fashion a funnel out of a 20 oz water bottle.It worked great, I also got to use my edc flashlight (photon micro-light).I use my knife most everyday for mundane tasks, but it was different on saturday. Just wondering how often people use the items that they carry everyday.

#92172 - 04/23/07 11:13 PM Re: When did you last use an EDC item? [Re: Themalemutekid]
Be_Prepared Offline
Addict

Loc: Massachusetts
I probably use my flashlight for something almost daily. Today it was to read the numbers on the fuse box in my car. Apparently the inverter I pluged into one of the 12 volt outlets was a little too power hungry.

My wife seems to need the tweezers from my SAK on a regular basis, apparently they are good at removing individual strands of pigment challenged hair...

- Ron

#92175 - 04/23/07 11:49 PM Re: When did you last use an EDC item? [Re: Be_Prepared]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
My SAK... probably once every 2 days or so. Maybe once weekly with my Micra knock-off. Everything else, rarely. I pulled out some Tylenol last weekend. That's the only time I've dipped into my mini-psk since I made it up a few months back.

#92176 - 04/23/07 11:55 PM Re: When did you last use an EDC item? [Re: Themalemutekid]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
I used my Swiss Army Knife about 5 minutes ago pulling seats out of the minivan. If it’s not the Swiss Army Knife or the Photon in one pocket that I’m after, it’s the pen or pencil in the other pocket. I’m always using the stuff that I carry every day… which would explain why that Swiss Army Knife is pretty beat up.

#92188 - 04/24/07 01:57 AM Re: When did you last use an EDC item? [Re: Themalemutekid]
Matt26 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Vermont
I use my leatherman wave every day. I use the minimag solitare about once or twice a week.

#92206 - 04/24/07 03:58 AM Re: When did you last use an EDC item? [Re: NightHiker]
el_diabl0 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: NE Ohio
I keep a Gerber Clutch, Streamlight KeyMate mini-flashlight, Zebra compact pen, and 1GB flash drive on my keychain, and use many of those items every day in my job as a network admin/PC tech.

#92209 - 04/24/07 04:33 AM Re: When did you last use an EDC item? [Re: Themalemutekid]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

My glasses, right now. smile

Used my kerambit to make big boxes into small flat pieces easy to stuff into the recycling bin. Flashlight to see what was rattling about in the back of a closet. ID to get into the office.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#92233 - 04/24/07 06:10 AM Re: When did you last use an EDC item? [Re: ironraven]
Rio Offline

Loc: Pacific North West
Aside from general items such as cell phone, ipod, etc: Knife, CRKT M16-13Z - every day. Light, Princeton Tec Impact II - every 1 or 2 days. Bandanna - maybe once a month.

#92236 - 04/24/07 06:19 AM Re: When did you last use an EDC item? [Re: Themalemutekid]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Used my Leatherman SuperTool to remove the "No Suits in the Spa" sign from the old latticework around the hot tub at our home, then replaced it on the new stuff that had been installed in our absence. Anyone want to come for a soak???

#92240 - 04/24/07 06:30 AM Re: When did you last use an EDC item? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
leemann Offline
Soylent Green
Addict

Loc: At the soylent green plant.
super tool today on a door at work refuse to be without it.

Lee
http://datacore.sciflicks.com/soylent_green/sounds/soylent_green_people.wav
RIP OBG

#92243 - 04/24/07 06:58 AM Re: When did you last use an EDC item? [Re: leemann]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Used my flashlight last night to help find the cell phone that was buried in the pile of clothes on the floor.

#92246 - 04/24/07 07:05 AM Re: When did you last use an EDC item? [Re: Themalemutekid]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
EDC items
I use my Buck 110 (28 years old), Leatherman Tool (17 years old), Bic lighter, ink pen, cell phone, and Mini-Mag flashlight; on a daily basis.

EDC items
FAK; on a weekly basis

Semi-EDC items
Gas Mask, leather gloves, hard hat, life jacket, computer (communications), and log book; on a daily basis.

Semi-EDC items
Signal Mirror, 6" & 8" crescent wrenches, and "C" cell flashlight; on a weekly basis.

#92247 - 04/24/07 07:06 AM Re: When did you last use an EDC item? [Re: wildman800]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Good Lord, what are you using a gas mask daily for?

#92250 - 04/24/07 07:16 AM Re: When did you last use an EDC item? [Re: benjammin]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

My semi EDC items are what I use @ work (20-23 days each month).
My actual work sked is supposed to be 20 days out and 10 days at home.

I use the MOPP (sometimes full level IV MOPP Gear) when we hook up cargo and vapor transfer hoses to our barges. Our cargoes are either "Methyl Ethyl Make You Deathly Ill" or "Methyl Ethyl Kill You".

Needless to say, I am very familiar with Personal Protection gear. Needless to say, if TSTF, my MOPP Gear will go along with my BOB as I head for home! And yes, all of that CBR Warfare traning I received in the Military has come in very handy!

#92260 - 04/24/07 01:08 PM Re: When did you last use an EDC item? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Chuck Offline
Stranger

Loc: Summerville South Carolina
I went fishing on friday. Grabbed my 'small' PSK from my truck and took it along. I used the knife to cut bait because the usual fishing knife missed the boat.
Later I used the one gallon ziplock bag from my kit to send a care package from one boat to the other. We were anchored about 30yds apart. I took some cigars placed them in the bag and sealed it. Took that bag and placed it in a shopping bag to catch the wind and floated it to the other boat. Cigars arrived safe and sound.

#92272 - 04/24/07 03:28 PM Re: When did you last use an EDC item? [Re: Chuck]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
Last EDC item I used was my CPR-mask (Kiss of Life) for a resusitation last week. wink

Other than that, I used my Leatherman Squirt, flashlight (new one: Fenix 1LP :D)and some band-aids from the FAK

#92274 - 04/24/07 03:35 PM Re: When did you last use an EDC item? [Re: JIM]
wolf Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Michigan
I use something from my EDC everyday. So far today I've used my knife to open a package, my camera to snap some shots of the dogs at the park, my Leatherman Juice to remove a grimlock from my MaxJumbo and then to attatch a sheath for a small fixed blade on it (BRKT Mikro Slither) - I used my pen - I used my water bottle - and I'm sure I'll be using more stuff as the day wears on.

Bona Na Croin

#92285 - 04/24/07 04:43 PM Re: When did you last use an EDC item? [Re: MDinana]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

Past two weeks; flashlight, water bottles, Tyneol, pen ( daily) cell phone ( ditto) ...I'm not a seal it up and save it type of guy.

Teach

#92308 - 04/24/07 10:29 PM Re: When did you last use an EDC item? [Re: Rio]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

I thought that what we EDCed was our general items. We carry them every day because we generally need them.

Or am loopy already?

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#92309 - 04/24/07 10:31 PM Re: When did you last use an EDC item? [Re: wildman800]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

*very subtly puts more space between me and wildman, just in case* grin

#92310 - 04/24/07 10:35 PM Re: When did you last use an EDC item? [Re: ironraven]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Honestly, the only thing that came back from my Benzene physical was that my Iron poor blood has turned into lead in my ass!!!!

#92434 - 04/25/07 07:38 PM Re: When did you last use an EDC item? [Re: wildman800]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
Some of my EDC items get used a lot. Penknife was a few hours ago for opening packages, and torch was yesterday for looking in an aquarium.

Other items get used rarely. I recently started carrying bandannas and haven't used them at all yet.

#92437 - 04/25/07 07:47 PM Re: When did you last use an EDC item? [Re: Brangdon]
kharrell Offline
Typical Survival Victim

Just used my pocket knife to cut my avacado for lunch.

Originally Posted By: Brangdon

Other items get used rarely. I recently started carrying bandannas and haven't used them at all yet.

I also recently (this month) stated carrying bandanna.

I used it last week during a bike ride. It kept the chill off my face. glad I had it.

The wind was 30HPH in my face heading back from another bike ride. My lips were windburned by the time I got back to office. I should have stoped and put it on.

#92588 - 04/26/07 05:25 PM Re: When did you last use an EDC item? [Re: kharrell]
Johno Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Scotland
Today, in fact I use my EDC knife pretty much every day.

#92611 - 04/26/07 09:14 PM Re: When did you last use an EDC item? [Re: Johno]
anotherKevin Offline

Loc: Colorado, US
I use my Camillus stockman pocket knife every single day, several times a day. I also use a bandana, to mop my brow, clean things up, polish an apple.

#92613 - 04/26/07 09:30 PM Re: When did you last use an EDC item? [Re: anotherKevin]
stealthedc Offline

Loc: Durham NC
EDC is meant to be used every day.

I used my LM Blast, duct tape, and my Brinkmann 3W LED among other scrounged items to fish my keys and carabiner out of the elevator shaft today. I feel so stupid for dropping them but at the end of the day (or beginning) you never know what adventures you might face.

#92641 - 04/27/07 12:38 AM Re: When did you last use an EDC item? [Re: stealthedc]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Lets see - flashlight, almost daily, ditto for the leatherman, used my lighter when I was lighting the BBQ Tuesday
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 243 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by clearwater
Yesterday at 06:11 PM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.