The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#9192 - 09/13/02 06:47 PM Re: Executive Carry Knife
amper Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: US
That's a good idea. How big is your needle? Could it stand up to emergency prying tasks or the like? I've been thinking of trying something similar by making a combo marline spike/burnisher/scratch awl/etc.<br><br>I generally carry a Filofax as well as my Kyocera/Palm phone on a daily basis. The Filofax is mainly for notes, since cellulose is still better than silicon for that purpose. I only got the Palm because I found that it actually became a useful device when they integrated it with a cellular phone.

#9193 - 09/13/02 07:10 PM Re: Executive Carry Knife
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
The PSK Cheatsheet is geared toards outdoor survival. So some items, such as fishing knots, are not likely to be useful in an urban emergency. I was thinking that items, such as morse code (for banging on pipes), would be more valuable. <br><br>Any other ideas?<br>

#9194 - 09/13/02 07:18 PM Re: Executive Carry Knife
billvann Offline
Old Hand

See my previous post regarding fishing knots. I guess it depends on where you work. I'm not inclined to eat ish out of the Chicago River. <br><br>The condom is a good idea for water collection. And I suppose matches would be a good idea should I ever get stuck downtown w/o electricity, although it's possible so a few lifeboat matches would be worthwhile.<br><br>Other folfs have mentioned phone cards in earlier threads. I should add that as it's simple. I also have a set of the DMT credit card shapeners at hom e that I really don't use becasuse I have the two sided butterfly shaperner. I was going to put them in my PSK put then read Chris' post on adhesive honimg paper, which is lighter and thinner. So in the USK the DMT cards go.<br><br>

#9195 - 09/13/02 07:18 PM Re: Executive Carry Knife
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, Washington
My sailmakers needle is either a size 12 or 14, 7cm long. My calender is 17.5 cm long so I could make this needle just about any size. I chose this size for its usefulness in sewing the heavyweight clothes I normally wear (Filson's). The three sided point is much easier to sew with than a round needle.<br><br>I do not see this needle as being very useful for prying. I have much larger needles in my repair kit, (size 8 it think, about 10 cm and at least twice the diameter) but not sure it would pry much. It would certainly work adequately as a slim marlin spike, great as an awl and burnisher.

#9196 - 09/13/02 07:56 PM Re: Executive Carry Knife Plus
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

I carry "The List" of all my preparation information in my Moleskine notebook. This type of notebook is ideal as it has an expanding pocket in the back for Cheat Sheet, Thread, Business cards, SS precision Card ruler (Incra Rules), 2 razor blades for my Jack Emergency knife, a UTM roamer and compass rose and "The List".<br><br>On this list I have added:<br><br>Morse code and Air to ground signals graphics, <br>Preplanned meeting places and contingencies,<br>9 different water treatment protocols,<br>Phone card numbers,<br><br>Names and Numbers for:<br>Emergency Contacts,<br>How to use my answering machine,<br>Neighboorhood contacts,<br>CoWorker Contacts,<br>My community leaders,<br>Community information numbers for: Flooding, Street concerns, Non-emergency Police and Fire, Public works, Animal concerns, Trash, Cable, Power, Gas, Water, Sewer, Library, CERT, <br><br>Dates for PSK packing, battery types and changes in various items (flashlights, watch, radios)<br><br>Lists of emergency HAM radio frequencies and contact leaders,<br><br>And then my lists of supplies in-car, on-body, in-PSK etc.<br><br>I just started CERT training, so will be adding abreviated notes on these various topics.<br><br>I found your Cheat Sheet, even though geared toward Wilderness use to be perfectly useful (and I could not figure out how to modify ), so I just added it in.<br><br>I keep this list in Excel and print it out in 80 x 132 mm size, double sided, trim, staple and add to the notebook. This allows me to update at will.

#9197 - 09/13/02 08:48 PM Re: Executive Carry Knife Plus
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Thanks for your list. It's very helpful.<br><br>BTW, with water purification instructions, do you also carry iodine tablets with you?<br><br>>>> ... I could not figure out how to modify <br><br>I composed it in PaeMaker 6.0 and printed to an Acrobat PDF format. Pagemake gives me greater control over text and image placement than a word processor would allow.<br>

#9198 - 09/13/02 09:36 PM Re: Executive Carry Knife Plus
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Bill,<br><br>I carry a full bottle of PotableAqua in my vest pocket along with an Oven roaster bag.<br>This would be the primary method, but is limited to 25 L of water. So, I carry the instructions for:<br><br>Bleach (5.25% sodium hypochlorite)<br>HTH (calcium hypochlorite--swimming pool chlorine, 70% chlorine, need to make a working dilution)<br>Tincture of Iodine, 2% iodine, 2.4% NaI<br>Lugols Solution 5% iodine, 10% KI<br>Betadyne (10% poviodine)<br>Kahn-Vassher method (Iodine saturated water)<br>PotableAqua<br>Potassium permanganate<br>Hydrogen Peroxide<br><br>I sort of figure in an Urban Emergency various means to purify water will have to be used as 25 L will be good for personal consumption in the first few days, but larger volumes will be needed for various needs and longer times. My car kit contains Polar Pure (Kahn-Vassher) and is good for many 100's of L of water. My car and 72 hr kits also have a Katadyne or Sweet Water filter.<br><br>I think I will stick with your sheet unedited. My pagermaker skills are non-existant.<br><br>Randy<br>

#9199 - 09/16/02 07:44 AM Re: Executive Carry Knife
amper Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: US
I've actually been debating how useful the DMT cards are versus their weight and thickness. Thanks for the suggestion about the sandpaper.

#9200 - 09/16/02 01:59 PM Re: Executive Carry Knife
billvann Offline
Old Hand

It was actually Chris' idea originally. The paper is adhesive and is meant to be used for shapenning chiaales and lathe tools, especially with curved edges. For example, cut a piece from the sheet and adhere it to a short section of dowel rod. <br><br>My though is to cut pieced to size to fit inside the Altoids tin. In an emergency, I'd stick one on each side of the tin, turning it into a shapening "stone." I didn't prestick them on because I didn't want the adhesive from the electrical tape wrap to gum up the grit.

#9201 - 09/17/02 03:32 PM Re: Executive Carry Knife
Craig Offline

Loc: Collegeville, PA, USA
I'm trying to put together a kit myself, for whenever I land a new gig, that I could take to meetings. May I ask what make and model of multitool you keep in your Palm Pilot's small leather case?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 292 Guests and 99 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.