Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#91358 - 04/17/07 03:49 PM Re: Storm BOB [Re: Cyblade]
BrianTexas Offline
Ordinary Average Guy
Enthusiast

Loc: North Central Texas, USA
Originally Posted By: Cyblade
Go to Circuit City and get you a 5" black and white tv that runs off of D batterys for 14.99, I've got a couple so that when the lights go out I can see whats going on. Also Wal Mart carrys a battery powered fan in the camping section that helps keep air circulating during blackouts in hot weather, doesnt move alot of air but in the heat every little bit helps. Oh and if you dont have a headlamp you should really get one the ability to have both hands free to work and still have light where you want it is a very good thing to have.

Great suggestion about the TV - $15 seems to be a very reasonable price. This could work for the broadcast stations if I still want to see their weather radar. I also like the idea of the fan because when the power goes out during a T-storm it usually is pretty warm and humid.

I forgot that one of my back-up radios is a multiband radio with UHF TV channels. That might have helped as well.

#91360 - 04/17/07 03:55 PM Re: Storm BOB [Re: CANOEDOGS]
BrianTexas Offline
Ordinary Average Guy
Enthusiast

Loc: North Central Texas, USA
Canoe Dogs,

Why yes, I am an Eagle Scout ( grin ) and I don't own a Coleman Lantern ( mad ). The lovely BethTexas hasn't let me spend the money on it yet, but it is on my long-term plans. I thought about getting a propane lantern and stove, with the kits to run either on a 20lb tank or disposable 1 lb.

The maps with the county lines are essential. When I lived in Ohio, Lake Erie bordered the northern border and I had memorized the surrounding counties and cities. I found that a simple road map from AAA will work for storm tracking.

#91552 - 04/18/07 05:18 PM Re: Storm BOB [Re: CANOEDOGS]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

Well, its switching to Tornado season here, so I'm rotating the stored water and will be checking the radios & batteries...

#91639 - 04/19/07 04:42 AM Re: Storm BOB [Re: ]
marduk Offline

Loc: Mid-Missouri
When out and about and worried about the weather I carry one these. It's not terribly precise, but usually better than the weatherman re: local conditions, and much easier to carry.

http://www.strikealert.com/

For a less portable, but much more accurate unit, I use this for lawn parties and when the kids have outdoor events, ie. soccor or football games. It gives a fairly precise warning of approaching storms (if there is lightening in it, and most Midwest storms do). It aso gives afairly accurate time to clear (it estimates passage time based on rate of travel)

http://www.spectrumthunderbolt.com/personal.html

#91640 - 04/19/07 04:44 AM Re: Storm BOB [Re: marduk]
marduk Offline

Loc: Mid-Missouri
For the handyman (I haven't tried this but found courtesy of google):

http://www.techlib.com/electronics/lightning.html

#92492 - 04/26/07 01:39 AM Re: Storm BOB [Re: CANOEDOGS]
kevingg Offline
Addict

Loc: NH
Great question. BTW I grew up in Salem Ma and my parents still live there. I went out not in the recent storm but another real windy soaker to try to start a fire. It was an eye opener I must say. I consider myself pretty good, but I burned out a lighter and went through two wetfire tinders. I handicapped myself by not letting myself use birchbark. I didn't use my woodman's pal either to go digging into trees for dry wood. Anyway, good question. raging storms are great practice times!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (M_a_x), 257 Guests and 57 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hoover Stew
by brandtb
Yesterday at 03:45 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.