Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#91373 - 04/17/07 05:42 PM Brass Sierra Cup
monkey Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
Hey guys. Hoping the wealth of knowledge here can help point me in the right direction.

I'm looking for Brass Sierra Cups. Long story short, a good friend and backpacking partner used them on the trail with his grandfather. Cups were earned with trail miles, and engraved with an earned trail name.

Jack passed away in 2000 and in his honor we have been holding a "memorial" 50 miler every summer. It would mean a lot to my friend if we could find some brass cups and continue the name and cup tradition with our group.

But I can't find the Brass cups. Aluminum and Ti is all I can find. I understand why, but the point here is sentiment so I don't want to settle for anything other than Brass if I don't have to.

Anyone know who sells or makes them? Other thoughts?

Thanks a million!!

#91377 - 04/17/07 06:14 PM Re: Brass Sierra Cup [Re: monkey]
ducktapeguy Offline
Enthusiast

Two questions. Are you talking about an actual sierra cup (tapered sides, rolled edge, wire handle), or any generic handled metal cup that might be called a sierra cup? And is he sure it was brass, maybe it brass plated or possibly copper?

I was thinking it could be possible that it's an older style of soldiers cup used by one of the military forces or a reproduction of some sort. Similar to one of these.

http://www.fcsutler.com/fctin.asp

http://goosebay-workshops.com/CUPS-CANTEENS

http://www.alberene.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PBN4700

I just did a search for brass soldier's cup, or brass cooking cup. If you're willing to spend the money, you can always have them custom made. If you have a picture of the one you're talking about, I'll try and keep my eye out.

Edited by ducktapeguy (04/17/07 06:17 PM)

#91380 - 04/17/07 06:36 PM Re: Brass Sierra Cup [Re: ducktapeguy]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
At the risk of hijacking this thread, those muckets look dang useful. I wonder how heavy they are.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#91425 - 04/17/07 10:53 PM Re: Brass Sierra Cup [Re: monkey]
30carbine Offline
Stranger

Loc: Texas
I have one of these brass sierra cups; it was purchased from the Early Winters catalog in the late 1970's or early 1980's. It has a geometric design and the words "Northern Lights" embossed from the rear into the bottom of the cup. The wire handle appears to be stainless steel. The roll quality is very high. You can tell it is brass all the way through as my copy has a couple of deep scratches in it that continue to show brass, so it was not plated.

Isn't Early Winters in Washington or Oregon?

Good luck; I wish I could tell you more.

#91427 - 04/17/07 10:59 PM Re: Brass Sierra Cup [Re: 30carbine]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Those muckets remind me of an Aussie Billy can of sorts.

#91675 - 04/19/07 04:15 PM Re: Brass Sierra Cup [Re: benjammin]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Early Winters appears to be an outfitter (tripping) company in Washington state. They don't appear to sell gear on-line.

http://www.earlywintersoutfitting.com/

I found this newsletter printed in 2003 that describes awarding someone an engraved brass sierra cup:

http://www.amc-ny.org/facilities-services/trailswaves/trailswaves200301spring.pdf

Both have telephone numbers associated with them. You might contact them to see if they know anything about brass sierra cups.

Ken K.

#91826 - 04/20/07 05:02 PM Re: Brass Sierra Cup [Re: monkey]
monkey Offline

Thank you all for your help!

As far as I know, the cup is solid brass. I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to meatals though. Here's a pic of the cup in my posession. I've never posted a pic before and the post preview doesn't show it but I'll try anyway.

[img]http://www.corriganfamily.org/gallery/v/Adventure/Misc/Sierra-Cup.jpg.html[/img]

KenK, thanks for the lead. I will probably call them, but the next couple lines of the news letter are a bit discouraging.

"... awarded an engraved, brass Sierra Cup. This wide-mouthed cup with handle, perfect for dipping cool water from a mountain stream, was developed by the AMC. Times change, and the Sierra Cup is no longer available (and drinking directly from that mountain stream is not advisable)."

I think I'm hitting a dead end, but I'll keep fighting the fight. I've posted at an AT Thru-hiker's forum as well and they haven't been able to find anything either. Just a sign of the times I guess. There are much better options these days. If any of you happen to run across one, drop me a line. Again, thanks a ton for the input!!

m

#91827 - 04/20/07 05:06 PM Re: Brass Sierra Cup [Re: monkey]
monkey Offline

Anyone lend a hand on why my pic link didn't work? I read through the FAQ's and everything looks ok. I gotta be missin' something!

Thanks.

m

#91853 - 04/20/07 08:15 PM Re: Brass Sierra Cup [Re: monkey]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
Originally Posted By: monkey
Anyone lend a hand on why my pic link didn't work? I read through the FAQ's and everything looks ok. I gotta be missin' something!

Thanks.

m

You’re linking to an HTML web page, not directly to the image itself. The “URL” tags would’ve been better suited for that.

#92156 - 04/23/07 08:38 PM Re: Brass Sierra Cup [Re: JCWohlschlag]
monkey Offline

Aahhh... got it. Silly mistake too. JCWohlschlag, thanks for the help.

Thanks also to jmarkantes for the PM. Maybe if we organize that desert trip, I will introduce you to my favorite tv cop.

So, here's a picture of the cup.

Thank you all for your help!!

m

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 469 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hoover Stew
by brandtb
05/19/24 03:45 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.