The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#91186 - 04/15/07 06:55 PM Re: Gear practice -- the $25 daypack [Re: bigreddog]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
I'd go for a whistle, $1 fauxton, trash bags, string and water. Maybe a bandanna and a roll of marker tape.

I figure that if he doesn't already have the stuff then he probably isn't into preparedness and wouldn't know how to use it. I wouldn't bother with a knife or fire-starting, for example, or a compass. If he gets lost a little bit, the whistle should get him found again. If he's lost for days, then he needs water and shelter to survive, and markers to make him more visible to search parties. He may need first aid, but again if he's not trained I wouldn't give him more than a bandanna to bind wounds etc.

#91195 - 04/15/07 09:47 PM Re: Gear practice -- the $25 daypack [Re: Brangdon]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
I was thinking the same thing, except that I could have a friend fly up for something else and come see me. They might not have their kit if they flew up with just carry on (no lighters, no knives) and they just might not have expected to go on a hike. That said, I didn't include a knife because I don't see it as vital to survival if they're just spending the night out. Better to give them a blanket then a knife.

#91196 - 04/15/07 09:56 PM Re: Gear practice -- the $25 daypack [Re: Brangdon]
hamilton Offline
Journeyman

I think arotc has the best list so far. A bic lighter or two, several one liter water bottles, and some some extra lage garbage bags leapt to my head quickly. I like the idea of the enamel cup, cheap fleece blanket, and hot cocoa. I'd also like to include a box of cookies, some fruit or other snack. All of this would keep us relatively warm, dry, and happy, which I feel are probably the most important aspects to survival. The only thing I'd really like to add, but would probably put the cost above 25$ is a small first aid kit.

Personally, I don't think a flashlight or knife is essential gear on a dayhike. While I like to always keep a knife on me, I think that one could go and survive even a possible overnighter without it. As for the flashlight, while it's very nice to have, I think anything cheap enough to stay under budget probably wouldn't be worth much. Cheap flashlights break even when one doesn't need them. The only potential use I could see would be looking for firewood at night, which I would try to avoid doing anyways. I wouldn't trust one to provide enough light to safely walk through the woods at night. Better to just wait the night out by the fire, sipping cocoa.

I find it interesting that a number of people seem to have the impression that if if the person is coming without anything, that they are not interested in being prepared. Personally, I can think of a number of situations where a person could be left without gear and would have to make up a daypack on the spot. It's happened to me before, where I've flown out to visit someone, my luggage has been lost, and I've been left with nothing but my computer and the cash in my wallet.

#91197 - 04/15/07 10:28 PM Re: Gear practice -- the $25 daypack [Re: hamilton]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I agree with AROTC's list but I'd replace the flashlight with a chemlight (Cyalume) which are fairly cheap. I would always take a flashlight on a day-hike in case it goes wrong.

My Camelback Mule has a quart bottle of water (bladder was removed), compass, 3 trashbags, 20' paracord, 3 green cyalume chemlights, UK 4AA eLED flashlight, SAK Trekker, small FAK, ferrocerrium rod, Bic lighter and a film cannister w/ tinder. It's lightweight and not at all restrictive.

#91200 - 04/15/07 10:37 PM Re: Gear practice -- the $25 daypack [Re: AROTC]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
If you knew they were flying in, it wouldn't a suprise. I see this as someone who either had a total "duh" moment and forgot thier gear, or a friend (possibly of the appropriate gender) who is wanting a clue, just doesn't know it yet.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#91201 - 04/15/07 10:38 PM Re: Gear practice -- the $25 daypack [Re: Russ]
Be_Prepared Offline
Addict

Loc: Massachusetts
This topic has been kinda scary... not because of the responses, they are great... no, the scary thing is realizing I can't even pay for my EDC with $25, let alone what I put in my daypack for a hike. Better make sure my wife never sees this forum!

- Ron

#91204 - 04/15/07 10:49 PM Re: Gear practice -- the $25 daypack [Re: Be_Prepared]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
The flashlight alone goes over $30 wink The Camelback was $60 IIRC, fortunately this practice session had an empty pack as a given. $25 is a very restrictive target price.

#91208 - 04/15/07 11:37 PM Re: Gear practice -- the $25 daypack [Re: AROTC]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I'm thinking of someone visiting. In reality, I wouldn't spend any money, because I already have the spare gear on hand. I don't go hiking or camping with someone that I don't know.

#91221 - 04/16/07 02:16 AM Re: Gear practice -- the $25 daypack [Re: Russ]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
Ha, I didn't think of chem sticks, but I think that'd be a lot better then a flashlight. Cheaper, better signal, and they last longer. Now with the $5 I just saved what to get my friend? Probably first aid stuff, like a triangle bandage.

#91250 - 04/16/07 02:55 PM Re: Gear practice -- the $25 daypack [Re: teacher]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Small can of bugspray: $2.00
two disposible orange ponchos: $2.00
2 liters water: $2.00
Compass: $4.00
Whistle: $3.00
Metal cup: $3.00
Bandana: $2.00
Six Snickers Bars: $3.00
lighter: $1.00
Birthday candles: $1.00
two lightsticks: $2.00
slap upside the head: free

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (adam2), 534 Guests and 94 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Today at 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.