Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#90822 - 04/10/07 02:42 PM Re: Ease of use on multi-tools [Re: Naseem]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
One problem with the new Wave is that it is strictly right-handed for one-handed opening of the two main blades. Unfortunately my son is left-handed.

This morning I watched him pull the knife out as a lefty (hold case with right hand and pull knife out with left hand - the exact opposite of what I do), then switch hands, open the blade with his right hand, and then switch hands again.

I do wish LM would come out with a left-handed version of the new Wave to address that issue.

#90825 - 04/10/07 03:12 PM Re: Ease of use on multi-tools [Re: KenK]
lukus Offline

Loc: TEXAS (where else?)
You'd have to get one of the security torx that Leatherman uses, but couldn't you take out all the blades and just reverse the order. I know there's guys out there making custom blades and such, and I don't think there would be any problems with everything reversed.

#90826 - 04/10/07 03:21 PM Re: Ease of use on multi-tools [Re: KenK]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
Quote:
This morning I watched him pull the knife out as a lefty (hold case with right hand and pull knife out with left hand - the exact opposite of what I do), then switch hands, open the blade with his right hand, and then switch hands again.

Ahh.. The curse of the left-handed people.. grin

I'm also left-handed(and use a 'old' Leatherman Wave and a Squirt BTW) and from my experience, you get used to switching from hand to hand every time. wink

Quote:
I do wish LM would come out with a left-handed version of the new Wave to address that issue.

So would a lot of other things... frown

If you'd ask me: Leatherman New Wave hands-down.

Take care

#90827 - 04/10/07 03:44 PM Re: Ease of use on multi-tools [Re: lukus]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
No, the handles is stamped such that it is right-handed. They'd need to completely redo the handles. I can't recall if the knife blades are symmetric side-to-side.

#90840 - 04/10/07 07:57 PM Re: Ease of use on multi-tools [Re: KenK]
hamilton Offline
Journeyman

I realize this is my first post, but I believe it is possible to open the new wave left handed, and without modification (which I believe voids the excellant warranty). I own one, and the first thing I checked when I got it was to see how I could open all the tools one handed, with either hand.

I just push the the knife out with my index or middle finger, and then bring it the rest of the way up with my thumb. Admittedly, it is slightly harder to close one handed. For that, I depress the lock with my middle finger, and push the blade down with my index until it is out of the lock. Then just bring it home with the thumb.

I do the same thing right handed to open the file. The saw is a bit too difficult to bring out like this on my wave. I usually have to resort to the finger nail pull. Still, I can open and close all the tools one handed (with the exception of changing the double headed screwdriver. That still has me stumped), and it is an excellant quality tool. I highly reccomend it.

Edited by hamilton (04/10/07 08:04 PM)

#90842 - 04/10/07 08:21 PM Re: hamilton, [Re: KenK]
BrianTexas Offline
Ordinary Average Guy
Enthusiast

Loc: North Central Texas, USA
I have the same problem with my Leatherman Charge Ti. I have to open it with my right hand and pass it to my left. I usually don't open it one-handed because I'm afraid of dropping it and breaking the blade during the transfer.

Perhaps we need to have a website called equippedtosurvivelefthanded.com.

#90868 - 04/11/07 07:10 AM Re: Ease of use on multi-tools [Re: KenK]
hurley52 Offline

i am ambidextrous and am able to open the two main blades on my LM new Wave with my left hand, as well as my right, it just took a little bit of practice and i found that if i use my middle finger as opposed to my thumb i am able to get it openned. it felt a little awkward at first because the blades are on the opposite side of the blade and i cant use my thumb.

#90909 - 04/11/07 08:33 PM Re: Ease of use on multi-tools [Re: Naseem]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Leatherman for the following reasons:
1) Main blades are on the outside.
2) The file is diamond coated on one side. As you are in South America, I take it that a parang or machete is part of your equipment? The file is ideal for sharpening.
3) The saw, which locks, will cut bamboo etc.

Try running your SAK under a cold water tap. That should ease the blades.

#90932 - 04/12/07 10:54 AM Re: Ease of use on multi-tools [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
Naseem Offline

Loc: Guyana, South America
Thanks for all the advice and comments.

I have one final question: does the bit holder on the Leatherman get worn/slack after considerable use? I would hate to lose a bit by it falling off the tool. Also, has anyone had any experience getting replacement bits from the company?

It's also very difficult for me to access warranties and replacements from over here. As for returning items - forget it. A friend of mine recieved a defective item which the seller kindly offered to replace on the condition that he return the defective item. He had to give up after the US customs charged him import duty that was more that the value of the item - he just told them to keep it and ordered a new one.

I'm seeing that most people here (ie., the right place - the survival forums) are Leatherman fans and I'm almost convinced, but the possibility of losing a bit and not being able to easily replace it might be a consideration for me.

PS. hey Leigh_Ratcliffe - we call it a "cutlass" and it's 22" (yep - twenty-two inches) of blade. You can do some mean cutting with it!!! Not a tool for novices though. Will get some pics in another post later on.

#90948 - 04/12/07 05:52 PM Re: Ease of use on multi-tools [Re: Naseem]
hamilton Offline
Journeyman

I haven't noticed any looseness from the bits, but I don't use them that regularly either. I don't believe leatherman will replace individual bits, but they do sell supplemental bit sets.

http://www.leatherman.com/shop/shop.aspx?category=37

Edited by hamilton (04/12/07 05:53 PM)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 520 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.