Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#90947 - 04/12/07 05:49 PM my sore muscles... ointment or painkiller?
picard120 Offline
Old Hand

ohhhh, man. My muscles are sore from spring biking trip for 10km. Is there any ointment that I can rub on to speed up break down of lactic acid at the muscles?

Should I take aspirin in conjunction with ointment?

#90951 - 04/12/07 06:02 PM Re: my sore muscles... ointment or painkiller? [Re: picard120]
DesertFox Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York, NY
I don't know enough about pharmecuticals to comment on what will break down lactic acid. The only way I know of is gentle stretching and light excercise to get the blood flowing to those sore muscles. As far as pain, Aleve works wonders for me after a hard weekend.

#90955 - 04/12/07 06:35 PM Re: my sore muscles... ointment or painkiller? [Re: picard120]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
I don't really believe the hype about IcyHot or anything like that. It's probably just a topical anasthetic without a lot of use. I don't think there's a lot to do to "speed up" break down of lactic acid- which I would think needs to be broken down by the liver or kidneys!

I'd personally avoid aspirin or ibuprofen. Both work to decrease inflammation. That means that you won't get as much blood flow to the "sore" (that is, injured) muscles. So, it may feel better, but healing will take longer. Stick with one of the NSAID drugs that has less inflammatory properties: Aleve or Tylenol.

#90962 - 04/12/07 06:54 PM Re: my sore muscles... ointment or painkiller? [Re: DesertFox]
el_diabl0 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: NE Ohio
Soak in a hot bathtub...works for me.

#90964 - 04/12/07 06:55 PM Re: my sore muscles... ointment or painkiller? [Re: DesertFox]
garland Offline

Loc: harrisburg, pa
Excellent info here:
http://ph.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070324003735AAvqxpv&show=7

Personally I've heard that taking a pill of aspirin breaks up the lactic acid. My experience is that it helps. However I also hear it prevents muscle growth so I stopped taking it after workouts and just got better at stretching beforehand smile
Facebook: http://on.fb.me/foPFgx

#90966 - 04/12/07 07:13 PM Re: my sore muscles... ointment or painkiller? [Re: garland]
Anonymous
Unregistered

The best way to relieve the aching muscles is to get back on the Bicycle and do another 5 km the next day.

When Eddy Merckx was asked the same question after winning the Paris-Roubaix, which is a 260 km race, he replied the only way to relieve aching muscles was to do a 120 km cycle ride the next day.

#90970 - 04/12/07 07:21 PM Re: my sore muscles... ointment or painkiller? [Re: picard120]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I think with all your little (and not so little) aches and pains that you are c you really need to seek face-to-face consultation with a general practitioner and move up from there as he or she may advise.

Or you have a bit of hypochondria.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#90974 - 04/12/07 08:08 PM Re: my sore muscles... ointment or painkiller? [Re: ironraven]
Matt26 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Vermont
Or try your local accupuncture practioner! I've had problems with my right shoulder for the last six months and just started treatements last friday. I just finished my third treatment and am almost pain free! To quote the Monkeys "I'm a believer"! laugh

#90976 - 04/12/07 08:35 PM Re: my sore muscles... ointment or painkiller? [Re: NightHiker]
raydarkhorse Offline
Addict

Loc: on the road 10-11 months out o...
Originally Posted By: NightHiker
As for ointments, I like Tiger Balm (if you don't mind the aroma)
I have been using it for so long I have begun to like the smell

#90983 - 04/12/07 09:34 PM Re: my sore muscles... ointment or painkiller? [Re: raydarkhorse]
TK_Miller Offline
stranger

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the soreness you're feeling is the micro-tears of the muscle fibers. When you rest the tears start to rebuild and that's what adds muscle developement. But if there is no movement you lose mobility so the answer to your question could be "active rest". Someone else referenced to it all ready. Get back out there and 'walk it off' so to speak.

Icy Hot and such is just topical(sensation only). A nice rub down and real heat (hot packs, heating pad, etc...) would also relieve some of the pain symptoms.

#90986 - 04/12/07 09:57 PM Re: my sore muscles... ointment or painkiller? [Re: TK_Miller]
Be_Prepared Offline
Addict

Loc: Massachusetts
I think lemons and limes are good for these sorts of problems... often I will use some other fluid to help with the ingestion of the juice, maybe something that's distilled from another plant, 100% Blue Agave perhaps... cooling the liquid with frozen cubes of natural spring water is preferred by some, but isn't necessary.

- Ron

#91025 - 04/13/07 01:21 PM Re: my sore muscles... ointment or painkiller? [Re: raydarkhorse]
BrianTexas Offline
Ordinary Average Guy
Enthusiast

Loc: North Central Texas, USA
I love the smell of Flexall in the morning...It smells like, middle age...

- The forty-three year old "BrianTexas"

#91030 - 04/13/07 02:28 PM Re: my sore muscles... ointment or painkiller? [Re: Be_Prepared]
DesertFox Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York, NY
I have researched this method of pain relief at great length. Very effective. Only side effects are headache and dry mouth. Possibly some memory loss.

#91038 - 04/13/07 03:39 PM Re: my sore muscles... ointment or painkiller? [Re: DesertFox]
Be_Prepared Offline
Addict

Loc: Massachusetts
Originally Posted By: DesertFox
I have researched this method of pain relief at great length. Very effective. Only side effects are headache and dry mouth. Possibly some memory loss.

Yes, there is a potential downside, that is true. I haven't experienced the memory loss, unless when using a "related" product, I ate the worm... but that would have been during my young and foolish days anyway wink

- Ron

#91060 - 04/13/07 07:08 PM Re: my sore muscles... ointment or painkiller? [Re: Be_Prepared]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
You left out stretching and moving around for sore muscles. Also soaking in a hot tub. Getting a massage. Do something fun to distract yourself.

I personally do not like to take pain killers.

#91098 - 04/14/07 06:08 AM Re: my sore muscles... ointment or painkiller? [Re: picard120]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Two things that I have found to be effective, at least for myself and my wife, are emu oil rubs (from, among other places, Wallyworld), and an anti-imflamitory from the healthfood store called phenocane. Works as well as, or maybe better than, 800 mg motrin....

#91147 - 04/15/07 02:44 AM Re: my sore muscles... ointment or painkiller? [Re: picard120]
hazeywolf Offline

Sports-Akileine "Start Cream" is the best muscle-rub I've ever tried - the cream contains Nicotafuryl and Capsicum which increases the micro-circulation, and the temperature of the skin and muscle tissue.

http://www.leguidesante.com/akileine-sports-start/products_1472.html

#91211 - 04/15/07 11:52 PM Re: my sore muscles... ointment or painkiller? [Re: Matt26]
picard120 Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Matt26
Or try your local accupuncture practioner! I've had problems with my right shoulder for the last six months and just started treatements last friday. I just finished my third treatment and am almost pain free! To quote the Monkeys "I'm a believer"! laugh

I read news report that acupuncture practioners don't sterilize the needles throughly that the next customer can contract hepatitis C, or B.

this is serious threat.

#91232 - 04/16/07 07:04 AM Re: my sore muscles... ointment or painkiller? [Re: picard120]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I recall a professional bodybuilder saying that drinking a solution of sodium bicarbonate helped neutralize the lactic acid buildup in tissue. That seems a bit rough, but the chemistry is at least right. Aspirin is another acid, and analgesic properties aside, I would think consuming more acid would compound the problem.

A nice hot jacuzzi seems to do wonders for me when I am that sore. Stretching keeps me limber, but doesn't do anything for the pain. If I am in real distress, I find a good deep tissue massage therapist and let them work on me as much as I can stand.

#91266 - 04/16/07 05:22 PM Re: my sore muscles... ointment or painkiller? [Re: benjammin]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
I recall a professional bodybuilder saying that drinking a solution of sodium bicarbonate helped neutralize the lactic acid buildup in tissue.

Hmmm, I suspect the sodium bicarbonate would be used up by stomach acid rather than make it into the bloodstream and on to the muscles.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#91305 - 04/16/07 11:07 PM Re: my sore muscles... ointment or painkiller? [Re: Blast]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Well, I am thinking the same, but I reckon anything that offsets the gastric pH is bound to have a systemic effect as well. The body will look to go to equilbrium, and so the ionic exchange would have to ripple out from the digestive system one way or another. I would wonder how much bicarbonate it would take to swing the pH enough to make a difference in a relatively short period, though

#91342 - 04/17/07 01:49 PM Re: my sore muscles... ointment or painkiller? [Re: benjammin]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Normally the volume of the stomach fluid is 20 to 100 mL and the pH is acidic (1.5 to 3.5).

I'll do the actual neutralization calculations later...must...have...green...tea...before...

*THWACK* faceplant onto keyboard

-Blast

Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 317 Guests and 49 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by brandtb
05/01/24 10:50 PM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.