Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#87888 - 03/09/07 05:57 PM Re: Is beeswax a superior survival candle fuel? *l [Re: Nicodemus]
garland Offline

Loc: harrisburg, pa
Personally I'd be more worried about colony collapse disorder's effect on food production smirk

but you're welcome by the way
Facebook: http://on.fb.me/foPFgx

#87889 - 03/09/07 05:59 PM Re: Is beeswax a superior survival candle fuel? *l [Re: garland]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
Well. I do understand, that the neolithic era beeswax should be the same as the modern one, but what's about paraffin then? The modern paraffin making technology must be superior over that of 1920's. Not to mention that paraffin is not the only known material for candles (Stearin, for example, is still popular).

Similarly, the beeswax treatment technology could be improved over years too. I doubt that the above mentioned http://www.philoxia.com/survival.htm employs any nuns to hand sculpture and enchant for slower burning times their survival candles smile

Also, I believe that 13% is not much, because it's below the mean deviation of burning times stated for that same beeswax survival candles from www.philoxia.com : "SC72 80-100 hours". Too many factors could affect the real numbers.

Edited by Alex (03/09/07 06:00 PM)

#87905 - 03/09/07 07:50 PM Re: Is beeswax a superior survival candle fuel? *l [Re: Alex]
garland Offline

Hey hey, you know this isn't true statistical math smile

Computing mean deviation would require actual work, as opposed to me just doing some web surfing looking for answers on my lunch break. I mean comon, work? Who does that, I mean really!

Joking aside; I don't think paraffin has been improved too much. From what I understand the chemical formula is pretty well standard. Kind of like petroleum jelly. On that note, they are both chemically similar. From what I understand at least.

http://www.henriettesherbal.com/eclectic/bpc1911/paraffin.html

That being said, one can see by the chemical formulas for paraffin that they are basically very simplistic. To my knowledge they haven't changed since their discovery.

Similiarly it's funny how effectively the filtration/bleaching system of making medically acceptable beeswax is pretty much the same as was (except now many times they use peroxide as the bleaching agent).

What I'd like to do is a formal test; make two comparable candles of the 'survival' variety to as stringent or symmetrical build as possible. Then test them on a homemade calorimeter.

After doing that, also test their burn time and ability to boil water.

But until I get my wedding out of the way, I need every free dollar frown .. so this research kind of had to suffice smirk

#87963 - 03/10/07 05:33 AM Re: Is beeswax a superior survival candle fuel? *l [Re: garland]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Neolithic beeswax? I am denied university funding to replicate my theory of a seabased migration down the Pacific Coast to show a possible explanation of rapid New World colonisation and somebody writes about neolithic beeswax? I have the article somewhere, give me a few days to find it. Lets test aromatherapy candles. Maybe one will calm predatory grizzle bars and pagan biker gangs. Problem is a recent warning about PRC candles mentions high levels of lead in the wicks.I'll take bee pee-pee over lead poisoning anyday. I've been learning about eastern orthodoxy lately. Anecdotaly I know the beeswax candles smell nice and put my sunday morning fast in a harmony for the after Liturgy break-fast of rolled grape leaves and strong coffee.No, I don't drink the superior survival drink OJ.

#90778 - 04/09/07 08:20 PM Re: Is beeswax a superior survival candle fuel? *l [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
duckear Offline
Addict

Chris,

What would aromatherapy candles made from the wax of killer bees do? One shudders to think of the possible carnage.

Edited by duckear (04/09/07 08:20 PM)

#90859 - 04/11/07 02:10 AM Re: Is beeswax a superior survival candle fuel? *l [Re: ironraven]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
By pure, they mean unbleached and unscented. It's a common problem in the "organic" world. I heard of someone who bought a bunch of organic rubarb, ate the leaves, and had to get their stomach pumped. And they spent the entire time saying "but it was organic". People don't think about what is IN their natural products in the first place.

Someone ate Rhubarb leaves!

Surely everyone knows the Oxalic acid in the leaves is a notorious poison.

Sorry, getting back to question, Is beeswax a superior survival candle fuel? No, because the tallow candle is a superior candle fuel. Not only does it work as a fuel for lighting and heat but the tallow candle, in a dire emergency be also used as a food source. Not very tasty but could be the difference between life and death.

And if you think eating a tallow candle sounds disgusting then just look at some of the ingredients in some of the diet crisps which use Olestra. Apparently causes something called anal leakage.

Homer Simpson says, "Hey, Apu, you got any of those potato chips that give you diarrhea? I need to do a little spring cleaning".
Apu responds, "They are in the safety cabinet. I'll get the key."

Edited by bentirran (04/11/07 02:19 AM)

#90887 - 04/11/07 04:03 PM Re: Is beeswax a superior survival candle fuel? *l [Re: ]
garland Offline

While the versatility seems nice on paper, I disagree for several reasons.

1) I cannot readily think of a situation in which I could not find a better use for the candle. It may be because I'm in a northern area(pennsylvania) and deal with relatively cold winters.
2) Seriously, if you can't find something better to eat, you've got issues. I mean, you've got to figure if you have your priorities straight, that you've got a week to figure out how to get some food.. whereas you have only a few hours before you freeze to death.
3) Beeswax is edible too. Unfortunately it really doesn't digest very well. I suspect tallow has the same effect. Anything waxy doesn't seem to digest very well. I'd reckon the beeswax would taste better though.
4) If your knife was edible, would you eat it? Honestly.... only if I was completely paralyzed and unable to *edit* use it. The purpose of that analogy is to relate that tools are designed as tools - they serve better function in their intended role. If you're smart about it, you'd never even have to consider something along those lines. I'd be using the candle to readily start fires to keep me warm so I could try to think of something more realistic to eat. Such as small game, grubs, plants, whatever. The last thing on my mind would be "MMMM.... candle.... *drool*."

I had no idea rhubarb leaves contained a poison. But then again, I don't go making rhubarb because I heard it tastes awful. Live and learn. Not to derail my own thread but does boiling the leaves destroy the poison?

Edited by garland (04/11/07 04:55 PM)

#90890 - 04/11/07 05:31 PM Re: Is beeswax a superior survival candle fuel? *l [Re: garland]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re Garland

Quote:
I had no idea rhubarb leaves contained a poison. But then again, I don't go making rhubarb because I heard it tastes awful. Live and learn. Not to derail my own thread but does boiling the leaves destroy the poison?

I'm afraid that boiling the leaves does not destroy the poison as the oxalic acid does not break down easily.

Starvation is a complex issue. If a couple of 4 oz Tallow candles can be consumed and the body can absorb that available energy, which would equate to approx 1200 calories, then death from starvation would be delayed by a couple of days. That couple of days might allow someone who is suffering from starvation enough time and energy to locate and procure additional food resources before rescue. Some of the alternatives to death by starvation such as cannibalism are poor alternatives.

As for Rhubarb tasting awful try the following recipe for Rhubarb Crumble (goes nicely with a good buttery Chardonnay)

* Servings: 4
* Level of difficulty: Easy
* Preparation Time: 10 minutes
* Cooking Time: 50 minutes

Ingredients

* 200ml freshly squeezed orange juice
* 125g Sugar
* 2 star anise
* 1 stick Cinnamon, broken in half
* 1 vanilla pod
* 450g rhubarb

For the crumble topping

* 50g Butter
* 75g flour
* 50g demerara sugar
* 50g flaked almonds
* pinch ground cinnamon

To serve

* clotted cream, or custard

Method

1. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4.

2. In a small saucepan, heat the orange juice, sugar, star anise, cinnamon and vanilla and simmer gently until the liquid becomes a syrup.

3. Meanwhile, cut the rhubarb into 5cm pieces and lay in a 23cm-square ovenproof dish. When the syrup is ready, pour it over the rhubarb and set aside.

4. To make the crumble topping, rub all the topping ingredients together in a mixing bowl until the mixture looks like coarse breadcrumbs. Scatter it over the prepared fruit.

5. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the crumble topping is golden. Serve with clotted cream or custard.

Edited by bentirran (04/11/07 05:37 PM)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (Phaedrus), 240 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.