The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#90482 - 04/05/07 06:08 PM Re: Contigency Shelter Plans [Re: ironraven]
DesertFox Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York, NY
So how would one go about shelding the electronics stored for emergency use?

#90492 - 04/05/07 08:21 PM Re: Contigency Shelter Plans [Re: Russ]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
The car body as a Faraday cage works if you drive a big peice of Detroit steel with a metal body, rather than the plastic ones so in vogue now, and you have a ground wire hanging down for your radio. And if you have a car old enough for good metal body panels, you probably have fuel injectors. smile But odds are, if it's taking out pacemakers, it's gonna get your fuel injector no matter what your car is made of. And since cars aren't generally grounded, the energy will probably try to go to the terminal in your battery, and break things along the way.

And you're right, I should have pointed out that all an antenna is is a piece of wire. I forget that it isn't common knowledge.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#90496 - 04/05/07 09:34 PM Re: Contigency Shelter Plans [Re: OldBaldGuy]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Seal up a room or rooms airtight. Provide a manual and/or electric air pump to pull filtered air into the shelter and a passive system to allow co2 to escape. If you check some of my older posts, I go into much greater detail.

#90497 - 04/05/07 09:36 PM Re: Contigency Shelter Plans [Re: MDinana]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

EMP will affect radios with an antenna length greater than 10 inches, is my understanding. If an electronic component has power, including the capacitors, it is probably susceptible to EMP.

#90636 - 04/07/07 04:39 AM Re: Contigency Shelter Plans [Re: Blast]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Most of the answers are "NO" and the rest are "I DON'T KNOW". If TSHTF, I don't intend to be in suburbia, then again, we all know about the best laid plans of mice and men. I don't advertise my plans or capabilities to the neighbors, but I still try to formulate workable contingency plans in the event that we would be stuck in suburbia for awhile.

These threads about "Lights Out", "What have done this week/month", etc; has given me a different POV on some of the contingency plans that I have been refining over the years, negating some previous aspects (as being unrealistic or overly optimistic) and have created new lines of thoughts that have realized new possibilities/options that had never occurred to me before. Some of your questions have also sparked a couple different avenues of thought as well.

Hopefully the same applies to you.

#101525 - 08/04/07 12:04 AM Re: Contigency Shelter Plans [Re: wildman800]
RobertRogers Offline
Survivor

One problem will be, of course, people who fail to prepare and then wtshtf they will consume without contributing much.

#101673 - 08/05/07 11:43 AM Re: Contigency Shelter Plans [Re: wildman800]
jshannon Offline
Addict

Loc: North Texas
Don't take this personally...

So what happens when your neighbors tell you NO, go away? Won't your plan will fail immediately since you cannot force yourself on other people or their property when YOU decide it's time to take their space? Better have a backup plan.

Bringing up matters like this to neighbors would have to be done very cautiously, or they may take it as irrational paranoia when talk of defensive positioning, etc are discussed.

#101714 - 08/05/07 11:46 PM Re: Contigency Shelter Plans [Re: jshannon]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

In answer to your post,,,,I will go away and let them fend for themselves. I am not advocating the taking over of anybody's private property. Read the post a little more carefully.

Those who want to work together for the common good will find that I am willing and able. I am willing to approach my neighbors, if/when the situation calls for it.

There are always options when you look hard enough and have realistic imagination. These options would be brought up in the event of a nuke, EMP, and/or anarchaic situation. The situation would dictate if and when I would approach my neighbors and that same situation would have them willing, most likely, to cooperate.

If a neighbor is not willing to work together, fine, We'll address our defensive preparations to fill any gaps. Such a defensive network, at best, would still only be a short term solution that would have to, most likely, become a need to relocate to a more viable location. Yes, I have that contingency plan written up, as well.

#103799 - 08/28/07 12:45 PM Re: Contigency Shelter Plans [Re: Russ]
Shadow_oo00 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
My plan is to shelter in place unless it really gets bad, then head for the forest, I have a travel trailer and alternate spots to set up. If for some reason I can't take the trailer I have scouted abandoned buildings along the way in case I need to get off the road for a short time.

Prepare Or Not To Prepare That Is The Question. The Answer, You Better !!!

#104761 - 09/05/07 08:59 PM Re: Contigency Shelter Plans [Re: wildman800]
hilary155 Offline
Stranger

I believe that you are safer if you have neighbors who have also prepared and are willing to work with you in the event of a disaster situation. Granted, anything can happen. But I think we should side on the concept of working together until we are given reason to go "every man for himself".

Having friends and family as contacts in your county scattered about just makes sense. Everyone should have a backup base of operations.

Every day I am subjected to events that reinforce the idea that most people in this country are idiots. I have spent a lot of energy weeding through the knuckleheads. What friends I do have are certainly in the top 1% of the population with regard to intelligence. I view them as a valuable resource. I would prefer to deal with whatever is to come with my friends than living alone in the woods.

I could live alone in the woods quite easily. I have done it before. But that hardly helps the situation.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 275 Guests and 140 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by chaosmagnet
01:07 AM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.