Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#90240 - 04/02/07 09:06 PM Everyone can be a universal blood donor
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
This news is a bit old, but for those who haven't heard, the time may be close when everyone can be a universal blood donor (we should all be donors anyway). A company is currently conducting clinical trials on an apparently inexpensive method to use bacterial enzymes to strip off the unique chemical markers that are responsible for blood "types". Once stripped off, you basically end up with O type blood, which anyone can receive. Pretty cool news.

Imagine a mass casualty situations, like a major earthquake, where doctors could get blood donations from local volunteers for use on the injured even if the roads are messed up and its difficult to shuttle around units of blood. I remember when me and everyone in my NYC office went and donated blood right after 9/11 even though no one had specifically called for blood donations, that I recall. It was just a way for regular people to try and help out. If all those pints of extra blood collected could have been turned into O type blood--wow, that could've helped people all over the country.

#90248 - 04/02/07 10:59 PM Re: Everyone can be a universal blood donor [Re: Arney]
jmarkantes Offline

Loc: Portland, OR, USA
Here's the news roundup on blood type converting. Sounds like it's still early enough in the research stage that it's 5-10 years from the public. But really interesting and could be extremely helpful. I don't think it helps with the rh factor, but I'm not certain how what percentage of folks are rh+, or even how vital it is matching the rh factor between people.
J

#90249 - 04/02/07 11:28 PM Re: Everyone can be a universal blood donor [Re: jmarkantes]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Here's an interesting point raised by someone. I already closed the window with the quote, but the person remarks that perhaps it would be better to divert the R&D money spent on this developing technology on better donor recruitment? He goes on to say that currently, about 5% of people donate regularly. If that could be raised to just 7%, he says that then the issue of blood shortages would mostly disappear. Excellent point there.

#90255 - 04/03/07 03:24 AM Re: Everyone can be a universal blood donor [Re: Arney]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Darn. I am B negative, when I walk in the door of the blood bank they almost stand up and cheer. This could ruin it for me! I only donate for the free coffee, OJ, and ding dongs you know...

#90345 - 04/04/07 01:03 PM Re: Everyone can be a universal blood donor [Re: Arney]
Malpaso Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
I'm O-Neg anyway, but I found that out in an unusual way. I had always been scared s-less of needles. I'd gone to blood banks, gotten to the door, felt queasy, turned around and left. On 9/11/01 I went to the blood bank, and gutted it out. They told me I was a universal donor. I've been back every 8 weeks since.

#90374 - 04/04/07 04:40 PM Re: Everyone can be a universal blood donor [Re: Malpaso]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Malpaso
I've been back every 8 weeks since.

Good for you! So, does the needle thing get easier over time for you?

I remember being at the ER a few years ago with my dad. A woman in the next curtain needed an IV put in, she understood the need for it and was totally apologetic and was trying really hard to be brave, but she'd just get uncontrollably hysterical whenever the needle would get a few inches away from her arm. Poor thing. I never found out if she finally got the IV in.

#90383 - 04/04/07 05:34 PM Re: Everyone can be a universal blood donor [Re: Arney]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
It doesn't need to be universal. Someone needs your blood right now, just as it is.

Sue

#90424 - 04/05/07 12:05 AM Re: Everyone can be a universal blood donor [Re: Arney]
Malpaso Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
Originally Posted By: Arney
So, does the needle thing get easier over time for you?

Yes, I actually watch them put the needle in now.

#90430 - 04/05/07 01:21 AM Re: Everyone can be a universal blood donor [Re: Arney]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Well not all of us. They take the same amount out of everyone no matter how big or small they are. When they tried to take the normal amount out of my skinny little self they had to pick me up and wring it out of me as I don't seem to have enough. I was in bed for days after until I was able to produce enough to refill my supply.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 310 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.