Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#90191 - 04/02/07 09:01 AM Reunification and Communication Plans
LED Offline
Veteran

Sorry, i couldn't think of a better title. Because I live on the west coast and have family in the midwest and east coast, I've been thinking about how we would communicate and/or reunite if some sort of disaster disrupted power, conventional communication, etc., especially for an extended period. I don't even want to think about how i would communicate with my relatives in europe. I know the likelihood of something like this happening is very low, but the thought of not being able to communicate with family/friends is disturbing. It seems having a plan in place, even a very basic plan like how long to wait, and who will attempt to reach who, is important. How many of you have similar situations with family/relatives living far away and do you have a plan in place?

#90193 - 04/02/07 12:55 PM Re: Reunification and Communication Plans [Re: LED]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Reunification and Communication Plans

I think that we have to look at what sort of communications disaster you are talking about.

A localized power outage affecting a city for example. Usually this power outage would normally be resolved within hours to days and would not generally affect the mobile/cellular phone network unless the cellular network towers had also been affected with power outages. If the normal PSTN network has also gone down, then most people would naturally begin to use their cell phones for voice communications. The resulting congestion would make communications difficult. Therefore sending text messages would have a much more likely hood of being sent because of the reduced bandwidth requirements a text message would require. If this fails then attempt to send the text message again at 04:00am when most people are asleep. A solar charger for your phone would be useful to keep the charge on the phone topped up as one of the first priorities for the authorities would be to re-establish the cellular network. Leaving your mobile switched on for that period, it could lose its battery charge.

If the power outages were more widespread, say effecting much larger areas of the country for longer periods i.e. periods greater than 1 week then communications begin to become much more difficult. We now move onto the Global satellite (Iridium) phone type systems. If this fails to work and your GPS also has problems getting a signal then you should begin to worry as there has probably been a space war between the US, China and Russia or a large solar event or a nearby Super Nova, which has destroyed most of the orbiting satellites communications systems. If it does work then the chances of getting through to Europe will probably be better than the central or eastern United States for various reasons (most European telephone networks are a bit more robust than in the US) unless of course your family members elsewhere also have a Sat phone.

If the satellite phone fails then we can move onto the next technology which would be the shortwave radio transceiver sited at both your and your relatives locations respectively. This time around though getting through to central and eastern United States would be more probable. If this fails to work then one or two things have happened. Your SW transceiver electronics have been fried due to an EMP attack (even more worrying as it would appear the space war has been a lot more serious) or the Heaviside Appleton layer of the atmosphere has been affected. (even more worrying because most of the earths radio communications have probably been affected by the astronomic event). To get around the EMP type scenario try getting a SW transceiver which works using old fashioned tube technology.

British Amateur HF transceiver Heathkit HW101

If the Heaviside Appleton layer has been affected therefore not allowing SW transmissions or don't have a Sat phone or SW transceiver then it may be time to start the lost forgotten art of Writing a Letter and sending via the Postal Service. If there is no postal service then you or your family elsewhere would probably be advised to stay where they were unless of course you or you relatives life's depended on moving elsewhere. If the Postal Service is unavailable then the US government is also unavailable to do much either.

Edited by bentirran (04/02/07 07:59 PM)

#90198 - 04/02/07 01:45 PM Re: Reunification and Communication Plans [Re: ]
beadles Offline

Loc: Richardson, TX
In an extended event, one of the things you should do is check in with the Red Cross, and possibly the Salvation Army. I believe the Red Cross maintains a list of displaced persons, and facilitates reconnection. Also, find your friendly local amateur radio operator. Passing messages like this is one of the things we do.

#90201 - 04/02/07 02:31 PM Re: Reunification and Communication Plans [Re: ]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...destroyed most of the orbiting satellites communications systems..."

If satellites are taken out, I fear that communication with friends and relatives would be the least of our worries. No satellites means that you can not buy fuel at most/all gas stations, and it might mean that you can not even buy a burger at McD's, or a six pack at your local stop 'n rob. Seems that their computer systems, which they need to be able to run their cash registers/ordering systems, are tied into sat's somehow. If that were to happen, bad things, a lot of bad things, would start, and only get worse with time. In that case, we might have to hire Kevin Costner to be The Postman...

#90207 - 04/02/07 04:49 PM Re: Reunification and Communication Plans [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Don't forget internet/e-mail. There have been plenty of times when phone calls were not possible due to downed long distance lines or busy switches but the internet will take a different route so if a circuit is down going from the eestern US to Europe then the route may have to to Europe via the Eastern US and take a little lobger but eventually get there. Vioce systems don't re-route like that.
HAM radio is also an option, even if you and your realtives don't have a HAM license and radio you may be able to contact an ARES (and whatever the Europe equiv. is) and have them relay a message for you.

#90218 - 04/02/07 05:38 PM Re: Reunification and Communication Plans [Re: Eugene]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re - Eugene

If you have access to a Cable Broadband connection you can use Voice over IP (VOIP). This will route the voice call over the IP network in the same way as normal IP Internet traffic. If there is a local power outage you may not be able to keep your modem and PC running. I would recommend a VOIP capable cable Router with a Uninterruptible Power Supply to allow the router to maintaining your Broadband connection and hence the ability to use VOIP telephone calls. Using a decent UPS to power the VOIP router would give 12-24hrs use. Whether there was a UPS at the other end of the cable is another matter.

EDIT

I've just seen a BBC report about the 25th Anniversary of the Argentine invasion of the Falkland Islands. It reported that the first the UK government knew of the invasion was a report from a local farmer in Port Stanley, who was a radio HAM enthusiast, reporting the invasion to the BBC radio HAM club in Central London. The BBC reporter then informed an official at the Foreign Office who then informed the Prime Minister then Parliament. Short Wave radio still has its place!!

Edited by bentirran (04/02/07 06:47 PM)

#90220 - 04/02/07 06:27 PM Re: Reunification and Communication Plans [Re: LED]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
This is a very incomplete answer, but one particular idea that struck me about both immediate and long-term communications is the value of a cell phone. A cellular system can become jammed up in the initial phases of any disaster and also get knocked out, but once things have settled down, most newer cell phones give you multiple options to stay in touch--voice, text messaging, email, instant messaging. Granted, all these services go through the wireless provider, but the provider will likely be trying to hard to get things running and stay running, as much as any landline provider. One thing that Katrina taught me was that it can be easy to be displaced from your home or have the home destoryed, so any fixed means of communication, like a landline or postal mail, may be useless so we can take advantage of the roaming capabilities of a cell phone to stay in touch no matter where we end up.

If you can maintain power to your phone, maybe using a car charger or some external power source, like a Charge2Go or Sidewinder, you'll have a means to stay in touch. Probably not 100% reliable, but at least you'll have a chance, even if you're on the move. For those Katrina families that got separated and didn't have any common number to call--I wonder how long it took some families to find each other when the members were moved from shelter to shelter and eventually shipped off to different states?

It's a good thing that people remember, no matter if you have a communications plan or not, that in the first hours or even days of many major events, there will likely be no communications for various reasons, so they should expect that and should not try repeatedly to call into a disaster area.

#90222 - 04/02/07 06:37 PM Re: Reunification and Communication Plans [Re: LED]
philip Offline
Addict

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
I, too, live on the West Coast and have family in the Midwest. Often, long distance still works even when you can't make a local call. (The SF police chief said he could call his brother in Hawaii, but not his wife at home during the phone outage of Loma Prieta - too many locals have their phones off the hook, trying to call loved ones.) I'd expect to be able to make a long distance call, and I'd expect my brother to be able to call in to my home number, if it's on the hook.

During a New York City black out, I read that people were using their cellphones to light up darkened building lobbies - they couldn't get a cell dial tone, but payphones still worked. Do you know where your payphones are? Got quarters?

Satellite phones should work as long as you have power. The last time I checked (last fall), a QualComm satphone could be had for $300 used, $500 refurbished, $645 new. That includes no time, not even an account. Buying a dial tone on a satellite phone is expensive. GlobalStar service plans (GlobalStar is the satellite that the QualComm uses) includes a $50 activation fee, and the cheapest is 50 minutes a month for $50 a month, with any minutes over your allowable number billed at a dollar each. Voicemail is an additional $7.95 a month. The early termination fee is $250 if you don't keep the service for a year.

Their cheapest airtime plan is $350 a year with no minutes. Use of the phone costs $1.49 per minute. The same early termination fee applies. In all plans, you pay per minute for incoming and outgoing calls. There are roaming fees for calls not originating and terminating in the US. I rent a satphone occasionally for camping trips where there is no cellphone and being stranded in winter weather is a possibility. The QualComm phone worked fine; an Iridium phone suffered from dropped calls. This is anecdotal, so I can't make a judgment on quality withhout more experience.

Based on the economics, I can't afford a satphone.

I have a general license for amateur radio and an HF transceiver, so I might be able to reach a ham in the Midwest (or where ever) to ask for a phone call at her expense to my family. Frankly, I'm less concerned about them knowing I'm okay than I am about knowing my wife here in the Bay Area is okay.

We have our own plan. We both have ham and GMRS licenses, and we carry a little card with us to remind us that we are to meet in one of two locations (if one is destroyed or unreachable, we use the secondary). We have our ham and GMRS radios programmed with our "personal" frequencies to communicate. We don't expect cellphones to work, so we don't have a plan that includes them. Local health and welfare takes priority over communications out of state. Meet up with my wife face to face or by radio to know we're both okay. Coordinate actual meeting and get to our stash at home for food & shelter.

If we are in a long term survival situation, which I would expect in a big earthquake just like big hurricanes in New Orleans, I would give my phone my first try at letting folks off the coast know we're okay, then give ham radio a try, and then use either Red Cross or Salvation Army's people for health and welfare traffic.

I live in a high traffic area, and lots of cars are parked on the street. With my siphon and Beil tool, I'll have gas and batteries for a long time, but that's a very last resort, as some people might take offense to having their car peeled. I can power and recharge my radios off car batteries, so I could be able transmit on my own for some time, assuming my radios and antennas are in working order.

#90223 - 04/02/07 06:37 PM Re: Reunification and Communication Plans [Re: LED]
jmacclau Offline
Stranger

Get a analog telephone in order to make calls. Local calls use two circuits but long distance use just one. Use text msgs either with cell phone or internet-less bandwidth usage.

Give one or two trusted people who live out of state your important numbers of relatives and very close friends. You contact the trusted numbers and they can call the rest.

#90224 - 04/02/07 06:49 PM Re: Reunification and Communication Plans [Re: LED]
DesertFox Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York, NY

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 276 Guests and 79 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by brandtb
05/01/24 10:50 PM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.