Here is link to the history and use of the STAR OF LIFE:

STAR OF LIFE

Pete

#90278 - 04/03/07 03:22 PM Re: Trauma bag [Re: OldBaldGuy]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
My first-aid instructor:

'You can only stop doing CPR, if you are exhausted,the paramedics say you can stop, or when you are in the middle of nowhere with absolutely no chance that someone can hear and help you.'

She also said: ''The only situation you don't have to begin CPR is when the head is 2 meters away from the body.
And if it's only 1.5 meters, you kick it half a meter...'' grin

#90309 - 04/03/07 11:36 PM Re: Trauma bag [Re: JIM]
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
I'm a AHA CPR instructor and I make it pretty clear to my students when you can stop CPR when:

a)you are to tired to go on
b)higher medical authority tells you to stop
c)higher medical authority takes over

Now if you guys want to talk about stolen stuff... I was on a call one time where food delivery guy got hit by the car. We were working him up and his take out delivery food (chinese) was next to him in the paper bag. There was wall of people around us and out of the sudden I see this hand appear and steal the food. Wicked.

Our ambulances sometimes are called to the projects (low income housing) where somebody is stalling us in the apt and after long physical exam and interview they refuse to go and meantime ambulance gets robbed downstairs.

#90318 - 04/04/07 02:58 AM Re: Trauma bag [Re: Polak187]
SARbound Offline
Addict

Loc: Quebec City, Canada
I ordered the large red bag that you can see on this picture :

Description is as follows (http://www.code-2.com/Square-Duffle-Large-p/911-82211.htm) :

Large Duffle: Our largest case. Easily-accessible main compartment, ten inside pockets, four outside pockets and numerous elastic hold-downs. Removable padded insert to hold "D" sized oxygen tank.

Specs:
Material: 1000D nylon in Red, Royal or Green
Overall Dimensions:
28"Lx11"Hx15"D (large)

I couldn't find any decent soft fishing tackle box to use as a trauma bag, so I finally ordered that bag because it seemed decent and at an okay price, and shipping to Canada was cheap. I'll keep you guys posted !

#90320 - 04/04/07 03:17 AM Re: Trauma bag [Re: SARbound]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Having worked several long codes, I've never taken my watch off either. Honestly, you need the watch (down time, time for meds, etc). It's just one more thing to lose as well.

OK, yeah, I can see walking down the street and having a purse if someone keels over. Most medics I know give the old "EMT Salute" and keep walking in those situations. In CA, I've always been taught that Good Sam laws don't apply to trained personnel. So, rather than risk any legal action, they just do like the normal bystander and don't identify themselves. Questionable ethically, but probably smart legally.

#90336 - 04/04/07 05:03 AM Re: Trauma bag [Re: Polak187]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
We once had an officer hit by a car while on a traffic stop. By the time assistance arrived, his badge and gun were gone. Scumbags will steal anything...

#90382 - 04/04/07 05:34 PM Re: Trauma bag [Re: SARbound]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA

I can say that an AED is possibly the single most important bit of life-saving equipment to come down the pike in the last few years. Unlike CPR, AED's have an actually meaningful "recovery rate" and they have gotten small enough to really be practical for a kit the size you're proposing.

Unless you're carrying in an emergency vehicle, I don't think there's a need to have a labeled bag like that.

Edited by martinfocazio (04/04/07 05:35 PM)

#90409 - 04/04/07 08:24 PM Re: Trauma bag [Re: MartinFocazio]
SARbound Offline
Addict

Hi Martin!

Depending on the event i'm being assigned to, I might carry a team-supplied Heartstart AED and o2 tank in this bag. I might not have given enough context when I described my story at the beginning of my post. I am part of a volunteer group that offers first-aid services to the community. This group is structured, members wear uniforms (etc.) and our training goes beyond basic first-aid (AED, o2, airways, etc.).

I understand that for a «normal» person that gives first-aid care twice a year, a trauma bag with it's corresponding looks might be pushing it a little. However, at the end of the day, in my context, I think it's alright. Like NightHiker said, if the bag is a trauma bag, it should be identified as such so it's not mistaken for something it isn't.

Thanks and have a great day!

#90420 - 04/04/07 11:09 PM Re: Trauma bag [Re: tfisher]
aligator Offline
Journeyman

Loc: NY
Hi Bee, Just a thought, having worked various events, your agency should be providing the bags and equipment. If for no other reason then liability, if your using anything more sophisticated then band aids, if something malfunctions that can be linked to a negative outcome, and it turns out to be your privately owned something, that puts everyone involved in civil jeopardy.
On the other hand, while I also carry a good sized kit in my car, I have no intentions of carrying it very far if I don't have to. You can do allot with a very small kit filled with well chosen components. My EDC is about the size of a grapefruit and at least remedially can manage anything from blisters to GSW/knife wounds. I think if I were you, I'd take my SAR kit and upgrade it as my knowledge and skills improved. But be selective when and where you use the personal kit. Anything mechanical can break. This is one of the reasons that we do rig checks prior to starting a shift. We need to assure that everything is there and functional. This happens twice a day in most systems. How many private folks do you know that check their stuff even once a month?

Regards Jim

Edited by aligator (04/04/07 11:10 PM)

#90429 - 04/05/07 12:59 AM Re: Trauma bag [Re: aligator]
SARbound Offline
Addict

Good evening Jim,

We are provided with all the necessary bags and equipment. However, I like to use my own equipment because I know exactly where my stuff is and what I have on hand. I also like the opportunity to bring additional items in my trauma bag such as water bottles, snacks, and similar items that don't belong in a issued bag that might come in handy during events.

:-) Take care!

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 314 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.