Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#93868 - 05/07/07 04:45 AM Re: First Knife for Kids [Re: kharrell]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
They look so innocent at that age. Just think, in three or four years, he's going to notice girls. Then he's going to start chasing them, and competing with other young males and doing foolish stuff to impress everyone....

I'm so glad I don't have kids laugh

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#93906 - 05/07/07 03:58 PM Re: First Knife for Kids [Re: ironraven]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
As a bit of a side-note:

In Scouts I've found that a lot of boys lose their pocketnives when the knife falls out of the pocket while the boy is pulling other "stuff" out of their pockets. The other common way is simply by leaving it sitting on a table someplace, especially at summer camp.

These days I recommend to the Scouts that they get a piece of thin twine - preferably a bright color - that is a bit shorter than the distance from their belt to the ground. Tie a bowline knot on each end. Loop one end around their belt or a belt loop, and then loop the other end through the ring on their pocketknife. When not in use the twine is bunched up inside the pocket (preferably not hanging out of their pocket - for safety).

When using the knife this length of twine is plenty long enough to provide sufficient "reach". If the lanyard is short enough to not allow the knife to hit the ground, then if the knife falls out of the pocket they'll feel the tug on their belt (loop).

If the lanyard does catch on something, they'll only get hung-up from their belt or belt loop, so there is little real danger there - compared to a neck lanyard.

The best twine I've found for this is the bright synthetic string used for running the level lines in construction - I don't know the official name of this string though. Home Depot & Ace Hardware sells the stuff. They can use paracord, but it tends to be a bit of overkill and takes lots of room in their pocket. I've also seen the knots in paracord lanyards come untied in pockets - most likely from frequent jostling in their pockets, but this doesn't seem to happen with the level-line string. I've assumed that if the full weight of the boy is on the level-line string that the string would break (great for safety), but I don't KNOW that for a fact.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 540 Guests and 103 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Today at 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.