The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#90079 - 04/01/07 01:42 AM Re: First Knife for Kids [Re: billym]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Heck, I STILL cut myself from time to time. Work around sharp things, that will happen...

#90083 - 04/01/07 02:29 AM Re: First Knife for Kids [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
I think I'm going to cut myself right now........

#90091 - 04/01/07 03:10 AM Re: First Knife for Kids [Re: kharrell]
Cjoi Offline
Stranger

Loc: N Cal
Dad worked life support in the Navy when I was growing up. I got a Navy survival knife in time for my 8th b-day and Brownie Day Camp. We had to earn a "Totin' Chit" - just like the Cub Scouts did(way back in the 60's!) Still have mine; knife not the Chit. Too bad most kids these days aren't allowed to experience the responsibility of carrying a pocket knife. Heck, that goes for too many adults these days, too!

Gave DD14 a SAK when she was almost 9, but she actually gets more practice with knives helping me in the kitchen.

This link shows a pic of ye olde Navy survival folder http://www.uswings.com/images/usmc_pocketknife.jpg

edited to add: some lucky kids to get those gorgeous knives!

Edited by Cjoi (04/01/07 03:13 AM)

#90110 - 04/01/07 10:27 AM Re: First Knife for Kids [Re: Cjoi]
Macgyver Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Victoria Australia
My oh My! I didn't realize that I had so many nephiews. smile Thanks guys.

Something that I didn't mention was that many people give a knife to their kids and, even if supervising them as they use the knife, they don't give proper instruction in healthy knife techniques. Usually I think it is because they don't know them themselves. I didn't know proper knife techniques and different knife grips to prevent injury, and increase control, until I was about 25.

Everyone knows that you generally don't cut towards yourself, but that is just the beginning.

You can still injure yourself, or someone else, real easy cutting away from yourself.

Some easy points that I find useful are these.

*To increase control on fine work use some fingers from your other hand to guide and push the blade. This will prevent dangerous slips because it is also gripping the thing that you are cutting.

*When using one hand to cut keep the cutting arm as straight as possible so if something slips (murphy guarantees that it will smirk ) the knife does not move far at all and you have the most power in that position too.

*If you absolutely must cut toward yourself, use only the wrist to move the knife, if you slip it won't move far either. Or if you have to use the arm, then hold the knife so that if you slip your fore arm or elbow contacts the body first and stops the motion of the knife.

*I also keep a mindset, as I'm sure most of you do, that I consider where the knife will go when it slips. If I could possibly get cut or cut something else I will change my grip or motion of the knife.

If simple rules like this are taught to young kids then they will be safer with their knife than most adults.

I agree with the other comments, teaching a kid to be responsible and to think before he acts with a knife will make a good foundation for many other things in their lives. If they have good motor control, can think things through carefully, and if they obey you, then they are ready for a knife no matter what the age.

I hope that helps someone out there.

#90181 - 04/02/07 02:30 AM Re: First Knife for Kids [Re: kharrell]
Seeker890 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Central Ohio
That can be a very personal decision based on the maturity of your boy. I know in Cub Scouts, they do not officially earn the cub version of the whittlin chit until Webelos. That is around 9 to 10 for most. Based on my experience, roughly 3/4 will not have had their own knife before Webelos. Most all will have their own knife by the time they graduate from cubs in the 5th grade or 11 years old. My son got his first about the time for crossover from Bear to Webelos.

#90238 - 04/02/07 08:46 PM Re: First Knife for Kids [Re: Seeker890]
kharrell Offline
Typical Survival Victim

Thanks for all the advise.

I think I will let him "carry" one of my knifes while camping this summer and teach him how to use it.

Maybe give him one of his own when he turns 9 as a Birthday present if he shows good responsibility this summer.

PS:

I am glad I still have my first shotgun (stored at Dads house), which I will most likely pass down to my kids.

#90311 - 04/04/07 12:51 AM Re: First Knife for Kids [Re: kharrell]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
The BRKT mini-Canadian I ordered for my daughter came in. What a beauty! She'll get it this Sunday.

While she's been taught what I hope are all the right things about handling knives, I don;t think I'll allow her to carry this knife for awhile unless I'm with her. It's just too scary sharp and I want to be there to observe and witness how she handles this fixed blade.

I didn;t show her much about whittling before now. After reading these posts, it occurs to me that will be an excellent way to show her how to use two-handed pressure and resistance pressure when cutting things. So...I supervised a little whittling session last night on a freshly cut ash branch using one of my medium fixed blades. She's gonna be ok.

Like I told her momma to ease her concerns.... "If we've done all the right things, she'll likely only cut herself once" laugh

#93445 - 05/03/07 04:44 AM Re: First Knife for Kids [Re: kharrell]
kharrell Offline
Typical Survival Victim

Well I changed my mind and purchased a $10 Walmart fixed blade. I gave it to him this weekend on the first camping trip. Showed him how to whittle a stick. He was hooked! All he wanted to do was whittle his stick.

Attachments
11-newknife.jpg (202 downloads)

Edited by kharrell (05/03/07 04:48 AM)

#93496 - 05/03/07 05:56 PM Re: First Knife for Kids [Re: kharrell]
Be_Prepared Offline
Addict

Loc: Massachusetts
He will remember that knife for the rest of his life, even if someday he owns a bunch of expensive high-end gear. I still have the little Buck folder that my dad gave me back "before electricity" as my son says. The plastic insert on the side is cracked off on one side, but, it's in a box of "stuff" in my bureau that I don't use anymore, but, can't get rid of either.

- Ron

#93862 - 05/07/07 04:07 AM Re: First Knife for Kids [Re: Be_Prepared]
kharrell Offline
Typical Survival Victim

He removed all the bark from this stick! Happy Boy!

Attachments
15-HappyBoy.jpg (191 downloads)

Edited by kharrell (05/07/07 04:09 AM)

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 543 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Today at 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.