Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#89969 - 03/30/07 11:32 PM Re: First Knife for Kids [Re: kharrell]
asfried1 Offline

I had the same experience as many of the above. Boy scout knife whilst in cubscouts at about age 8. I got my oldest daughter a nice Benchmade Griptillian folder at age 13 - she really wasn't interested until then. I think my other 3 kids are pretty solid people and I will have no hesitation getting and teaching them about a pocket knife when they reach age 7-8. But, like their older sister, I would get them a LOCKING folder rather than that lockless finger guillotine that was all that was available in 1974.

#89975 - 03/31/07 01:14 AM Re: First Knife for Kids [Re: kharrell]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
At eight years old, I'll bet the interest will be in a SAK. The more stuff on it, the better. The one's I've had don't have menacing points on the blades either, which is a good thing for kids. Don't buy a cheap imitation model though. There are tons of those around and children could hurt themselves trying to force those stiff cheap blades open and closed. Not to mention nobody wants to put their kid's safety in jeopardy with a cheap piece of junk. They don't need a $100 knife, but they don't deserve a $3.95 one either.

#89976 - 03/31/07 01:16 AM Re: First Knife for Kids [Re: kharrell]
Macgyver Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Victoria Australia
I got my first knife when I was 8 or 9 and after sharpening it just like my uncle did I had it close on my nuckle nearly going to the bone. Needless to say I reccomend getting a LOCKING or fixed blade knife for a first knife. My brother gave his boys locking knives at the age of 8 as well and they have lost them a few times but have been rather responsible with using them.

They have asked me to make them a knife for quite some time but I thought that 10 was a good age for them to look after a super sharp custom knife in an appropriate manner. I made one for my eldest nephiew for his last birthday and I have one I am making for my next nephiews 10th birthday.

This is the knife that I made for him.

#89980 - 03/31/07 01:53 AM Re: First Knife for Kids [Re: Macgyver]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
THAT is a beautiful knife. I'm sure he'll appreciate that work of art.

I wish I had been more appreciative of the knife, shotgun, and some other things my father gave me, I was appreciative and took good care of them, but in retrospect, had I had more of an eye toward nostalgia, I wouldn;t have sold the shotgun and I'd have some idea what happened to my first knife.

#89981 - 03/31/07 02:00 AM Re: First Knife for Kids [Re: kharrell]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I guess along with what others have said about how ready you think your son is, the the other question we can't answer is how old were you when you got your first knife? Also, is it going to be all his, or "his" and has to get it from you? Is he going to be allowed to carry it in town?

My grandfather and my biological father's father never agreed on much, but they did think I needed to know how to use a knife. My first "all mine" knife, that wasn't a loaner or anything like that was a Vic Huntsman. Still have a wicked scar on the back of my left thumb from having it slip while closing it, but that was the only time it ever bit me. Don't have the knife anymore though, it went missing in a move. frown

My brightest idea is to give him an IOU-type card, and take him to a good sporting goods store where you've already selected a few items that are in budget and inside your ideas about size, and talked to people there so they know that nothing strange is going on when you bring him to see what fits best in his hand. And if he gets exposed to a smaller, local sporting goods or gun or climbing store where people can go in and just shoot the breeze with someone behind the counter who is clued, it can only be a good thing.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#89982 - 03/31/07 02:11 AM Re: First Knife for Kids [Re: Macgyver]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Uncle Macgyver, I am your long lost shirttail nephew from the U.S. I would like mine to look just like that beautiful knife!!!

#90013 - 03/31/07 07:51 AM Re: First Knife for Kids [Re: Macgyver]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
Can I be your nephew too?

#90018 - 03/31/07 09:59 AM Re: First Knife for Kids [Re: kharrell]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
I got a Leatherman Wave as my first knife from my father when I was 8-9 years old. Of course we practiced using it together.

#90074 - 04/01/07 12:33 AM Re: First Knife for Kids [Re: JIM]
aardvark Offline

Loc: So. California
I got my first folder around that age, and immediately cut myself with it. My dad took it away and only much later did i start carrying and using a pocketknife. I suppose the moral of the story is to look for impulsive behavior, does the kid think before acting, which is frequently hard for a kid (and adult).

#90077 - 04/01/07 01:27 AM Re: First Knife for Kids [Re: aardvark]
billym Offline
Addict

Loc: Oakland, California
Kids are going to cut themselves this is part of the lesson.
After the whole safety speech and even if they are very safe sooner later they will cut themselves. This is part of the lesson and a segue into first aid training.

One day my brother who has two great kids (I am single w/ none) called and was feeling bad because his boy cut his eyebrow while playing with DAD (took a fall). My brother felt terrible. First off I told him that playing with your kid and even rough-housing is a GOOD thing and that his son had to earn his lumps; this is what makes us tough. So when they cut themselves remeber YOUR first knife and the first time it drew your blood.

When I give my nephew a knife it will be two; one will be a mini-stockman from Buck (I think it is called the Duece these days)and the other will be some single bladed folder with a lock.
I bought his dad (my Bro) the tiny buck while on a trip while in Jr High school he was about 10 . I was suprised to hear that he still has it and that his son wants to to give it to him. So I will get him one of his own. The locking folder will be a practical user.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 543 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Today at 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.