Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#90064 - 03/31/07 09:50 PM Re: Stainless Steel 32oz water bottle [Re: dougwalkabout]
Old_Scout Offline
journeyman

Loc: Delaware
OK - now I see what you mean. But I think you've got some engineering and testing ahead!

Here's the Wiggy's rig

Wiggy's SS Bottle

Looks like they've improved the dongle on the lid since I bought mine.

"Be Prepared" "For what?" "Why, any old thing!" B-P

#90094 - 04/01/07 04:19 AM Re: Stainless Steel 32oz water bottle [Re: Old_Scout]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
The Wiggy's rig looks good (as does the water bottle that started this thread).

I'm really concerned about the weight of these items, though.

It's not a problem with car camping, short-haul trips or BOBs.

But with self-propelled trips, either day hikes or multi-day backpacks, where you are carrying your gear on your back, you consistently leave too-heavy items at home. There's an equation of weight-vs.-utility that you work through. And IMHO, both of these items would stay at home (for this kind of trip anyway).

However, the future is not bleak. I see more and more stainless steel items that are quite thin and light, yet reasonably tough. These promise to be a boon for unrepentant walkers such as myself.

#90099 - 04/01/07 05:21 AM Re: Stainless Steel 32oz water bottle [Re: dougwalkabout]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Oh, wow, I think I see where you are going. Like a the cheapie travel mugs that have the removable bottom so they can be cleaned, but made out of stainless and lacking the handle. Maybe use something like styrofoam or fiberglass insulation in a plastic sheath as your removable inner insulation but that wouldn't be critical.

Have a screw on bottom and a screw on top. Heck, it might be possible to make the bottom wide and deep enough that it could be used as a small bowl or large cup. You'd want to be able to be compatible with the standard Nalgene cap so you can use all the various filters out there. And if it's shiny, it would work great with the Steripen- UV bouncing off the sides rather than going out the bottle.

It wouldn't be a field conversion, but I think you might have something there.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#90138 - 04/01/07 05:09 PM Re: Stainless Steel 32oz water bottle [Re: ironraven]
yeti Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: somewhere out there...
I think I may stick with my nalgenes and space saver cups. I feel the wide-mouth 32 oz/1l nalgene bottles are about as small a mouth as I'd like when it comes to bottles in regular use. I use mine for far more than just for water and can't imagine being able to really clean smaller-mouthed bottles well with any certainty. Bottles are notoriously hard to clean anyway.

I EDC drinks in these bottles with an Outdoor Research (OR) Water Bottle ParkaŽ 1 Liter that zips shut over them. This insulation works so well I carry these bottles year-round. I have stainless steel space saver cups for all my bottles in various packouts. While I would prefer the spacesaver cups run about 2/3 the height of the bottles (adding about 1 extra inch) instead of the 1/2 reach they have, I'm still happier with these setups as they lend towards maximum flexibility.

BTW, the space saver cups also easily fit within the OR bottle parkas with the bottle...similar to the old military canteens and the steel cup.

Edited by yeti (04/03/07 02:59 PM)

#91048 - 04/13/07 04:35 PM Re: Stainless Steel 32oz water bottle [Re: falcon5000]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

http://www.guyotdesigns.com/stainlessbottles?sc=11&category=-111

Ok, I got it in the mail last night, the company had been snowed out and sent me a few extra items for the wait smile. Here's what I have so far:
It's a thick 32 oz stainless steel bottle and appears very durable with a lifetime warranty. It does boil water and fits a normal 32 oz lid including water filters and steripen. It takes awhile to bring up to a boil because I think of the thickness of the steel and convection of sitting in free air.It has a small groove on the inside of the neck that corresponds to the flange and doesn't appear to pose a problem for future cracks or anything, I think its from a weld joint and is normal, if anything it would act as an expansion joint.I don't know how it would do in the cold yet but I think if you get it right in a good fire you will be ok. It's not as bulky as my nalgine cup set up and I tried weighing it but my scale won't go below a half of pound. All in all the pictures below are blurry because I'm in a rush to goto work and it's not an official review but I like it, it serves what I need it to do, Use it with a steripen and a Katadyn combi water filter if needed, boil water in and emergency and can cook or polish the bottom for a mirror if needed. I found after you boil the water,you can dip the outside of the bottle in water and it cools down almost instantly. So the bad side of this is it does transfer heat around quickly but you can manipulate it to your advantage by putting up a wind block from green wood or what have you. I looked at aluminum and it transfers heat even faster and not as durable. I'll stick with the stainless steel anyday. (on the pictures you may have to right click the mouse and say view image)

Update: it is air jacked (see comment below) and I would not recommend it.

Bottle after I took the lanyard off
Lanyard

Has a manufacturing groove around the neck that is at the same location as the base flange.
On the stove

Boiling on stove

On the torch

Boiling on the torch

With the Katadyn water filter

With the steripen

[img]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s272/falcon5000_/IMG_1685.jpg[/img]

Edited by falcon5000 (04/14/07 02:30 PM)

#91087 - 04/14/07 03:34 AM Re: Stainless Steel 32oz water bottle [Re: falcon5000]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Looked a little like an artillery shell at first- kinda concerned me before I started reading *grin*

Looks good. I suppose the only way to know for sure is to stress test it.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#91106 - 04/14/07 02:29 PM Re: Stainless Steel 32oz water bottle [Re: ironraven]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

My apologies, I dropped the ball. When I did some of this testing it was before work and I couldn't tell if it was a thick canister of jacketed. Like a dummy and in a hurry I was wondering why it took so long to heat up. Well I took it into work to examine more closely and it has what appears to be an air jacket around it. So I'm skeptic that in a fire at lower temperatures if it would get hot enough to boil water, especially in winter. So I would not recommend it for use in this case. If you just want it for a water bottle then it would do at that but that's about it for it. So I guess the search goes on.

#91114 - 04/14/07 04:01 PM Re: Stainless Steel 32oz water bottle [Re: falcon5000]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Really??!! Sure fooled me. If there's a air jacket, it must be very thin -- you really can't tell by looking at it in the store. An second layer of stainless would explain the weight, though.

#91117 - 04/14/07 04:23 PM Re: Stainless Steel 32oz water bottle [Re: dougwalkabout]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

I e-mailed back the company asking them why on there website it said single jacket also, so well see what happens. It definitely has a second wall.

#91251 - 04/16/07 03:02 PM Re: Stainless Steel 32oz water bottle [Re: falcon5000]
Frozen Offline
Journeyman

I have one of these Guyotdesigns bottles sitting on my desk, and I can't believe this thing is double-walled. Run your finger and thumb like calipers around the opening and the shoulder. When I fill it with cold running water, the sensation is instant cooling on my hand. It just can't be double-walled.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 517 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Today at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.