Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#89813 - 03/29/07 03:31 PM Re: Stainless Steel 32oz water bottle [Re: falcon5000]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

Well I shot them an e-mail and this is what they said,I'm ordering one as we speak, I need a 32 oz for the adventure (Steripen) for traveling too, that puts boiling water as my backup:

Update for Case #793 - "32 oz Bottles"

Mark -

Our Backpacker stainless steel bottle is 32oz, non-insulated, and with no coating on the inside. However, if you boil liquids in it, the bottle is too hot to handle, but I guess you could concoct a way to hold it or harness it without being burned and pour the boiling liquid in to a vessel that you can drink out of. We are developing an all stainless steel vacuum sealed bottle that will handle boiling liquids and not burn the one holding it.

- Cara Guyot

Message History
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, March 28, 2007 01:26 pm EDT (GMT-04:00)
Subject: 32 oz Bottles

I was wondering if you sell a 32oz non insulated,no coatings on the inside,steril stainless steel bottle that can be used to boil water in an emergency. There are several people that may be interested in one if you have them.

Guyot Designs LLC.
support@guyotdesigns.com

#89872 - 03/29/07 10:48 PM Re: Stainless Steel 32oz water bottle [Re: falcon5000]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Sounds good! The too hot to handle situation doesn't really bother me, as I carry Kevlar lined leather gloves that can handle high-temps just fine or I could always just rig something else up. It's just nice knowing I can replace my daily carry Nalgene bottle with something I can purify water in (without having to carry a bunch of other stuff, without having to worry about expiration dates, and without having to worry about how many uses that method gives me).

#89892 - 03/30/07 02:26 AM Re: Stainless Steel 32oz water bottle [Re: Paul810]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"We are developing an all stainless steel vacuum sealed bottle that will handle boiling liquids and not burn the one holding it."

I don't think he understood how you wanted to use it, despite the clarity of your question.

I can see a SS vacuum bottle holding boiling liquids. Science isn't my strong point, but if a container (even SS) is made of two walls with a vacuum between, how is it going to boil water? Isn't the whole point of a vacuum NOT to transfer heat (or cold)?

Or is someone here going to make me feel like a dummy? (Go ahead, I've been there before....)

Sue

#89894 - 03/30/07 02:30 AM Re: Stainless Steel 32oz water bottle [Re: Susan]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Being pretty weak in science myself, but very familiar with boiling hot coffee in a SS vacuum thermos, I think that you are right on. Only time I ever felt the outside of the thermos get hot was when the liner had failed, therby filling the middle space with rapidly cooling coffee. Time for a new thermos...

#89900 - 03/30/07 03:27 AM Re: Stainless Steel 32oz water bottle [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
All it would need for it to work is have no void between the two layers at the bottom. Basically, if the bottom is steel touching steel (while the sides are separated by a vacuum) than it will still work.

#89926 - 03/30/07 01:02 PM Re: Stainless Steel 32oz water bottle [Re: Susan]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
No, it doesn't work so well. The only way it would work is thermal conduction through that tiny little seam, pretty much worthless, or by using boiling stones.

If I had to take a guess, it was a PR flunky who's got a script.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#89935 - 03/30/07 04:25 PM Re: Stainless Steel 32oz water bottle [Re: falcon5000]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

Well I'll find out when it arrives, it should be non insulated but well see and I'll let you know when it comes in.

Our Backpacker stainless steel bottle is 32oz, non-insulated, and with no coating on the inside. However, if you boil liquids in it, the bottle is too hot to handle, but I guess you could concoct a way to hold it or harness it without being burned and pour the boiling liquid in to a vessel that you can drink out of. We are developing an all stainless steel vacuum sealed bottle that will handle boiling liquids and not burn the one holding it.

So I think they are in development of a vacuum container but do not have one yet.

#89947 - 03/30/07 08:08 PM Re: Stainless Steel 32oz water bottle [Re: falcon5000]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I've been contemplating an experiment with an old stainless steel thermos, to turn it into a stove/pot/water carrier, all in one.

Something along the lines of the Kelly Kettle:
http://www.leevalley.com/gifts/page.aspx?c=2&p=43901&cat=4,104,53221&ap=2

Except, I would like to keep the inner container of the thermos intact.

Any ideas?

#90052 - 03/31/07 05:16 PM Re: Stainless Steel 32oz water bottle [Re: falcon5000]
Old_Scout Offline
journeyman

Loc: Delaware
I regularly carry a Wiggy's SS water bottle. Have boiled water in it - works well - hot as H*ll!! Use gloves, big socks or mitts. Before I've just dropped it into a double wool sock "rig" and all is well! This thing is built like a tank - except for the little dongle welded to the top of the lid for the chain - I replaced with a SS bolt - no prob. I also replaced the chain with more substantial SS "clock" chain. It uses a humongous o-ring for the lid seal - don't boil with that turned down or you have a bomb! It fits into standard Nalgene spaces and cups integrate to the bottom diameter. Heavy as lead but thoroughly dependable. Would recommend.

BTW, I cannot conceive of an insulated bottle that you would boil in - a scientific oxymoron!

"Be Prepared" "For what?" "Why, any old thing!" B-P

#90061 - 03/31/07 09:28 PM Re: Stainless Steel 32oz water bottle [Re: Old_Scout]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
... an insulated bottle that you could boil in ...

Yeah, it does sound funny at first glance.

However, it wouldn't be insulated when I got through with it. I'd be removing the bottom of the outer shell, so I could hang it over a small-stick fire.

Think of it as a vertical pot with a shroud to concentrate the heat and increase efficiency.

Once it cooled off, I could put the stopper back in to transport the now-drinkable water.

If I really wanted to, I could stuff some foam between the inner and outer walls, and voila, it's insulated (somewhat).

Wacky idea, I know. But I see a lot of people with steel thermoses, and I wonder how I could convert them into something useful in a tight situation.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 499 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Today at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.