The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#88492 - 03/16/07 12:17 AM Re: Thoughts on Packs & Bags [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Why Scotchgard? Is that a real waterproofing agent? I have used Nikwax spray waterproofing before, to reasonable success. In any case, I use a heavy duty plastic clear bag as a liner and my down sleeping bag gets it's own "plastic bag-inside-the-stuff sack" routine. Never had wet or damp down in my life -- "knock-on-wood".

There is mostly a threat of dampness spreading from the moisture inside the clear bag so I separate any damp clothing from the rest with another stuff sack.

#88556 - 03/16/07 07:01 PM Re: Thoughts on Packs & Bags [Re: duckear]
el_diabl0 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: NE Ohio
I just got a Maxpedition Pygmy Falcon and I'm pretty impressed with it so far. Built like a tank.

#89492 - 03/26/07 02:00 AM Re: Thoughts on Packs & Bags [Re: duckear]
aligator Offline
Journeyman

Loc: NY
duckear, which one? From hunting or the military line? What modules/pouches? How do you have it set up? Regards, Jim

#89504 - 03/26/07 02:48 AM Re: Thoughts on Packs & Bags [Re: Jess]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
I would also think that a rifle in a backpack is just an extra useless 5 pounds. In your arms is much more useful!

#89527 - 03/26/07 02:22 PM Re: Thoughts on Packs & Bags [Re: MartinFocazio]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re Martinfocazio Thoughts on Packs and bags

I must agree with you there finding the best pack is very hard task indeed. You have not specified the capacity required therefore but I am assuming something around 30-50 Litres. The following from the Karrimor Sabre and Delta range are excellent. They are robust and are very good quality kit with Mil spec additions which may be useful. They are actually very comfortable in use also. They also are available in a Black and British DPM.
You maybe interested in the Karrimor Delta 35

or for a more versatile pack you may be interested in the Karrimor Sabre 45

The last image shows that additional PLCE compatible 12.5 litre pouches can be added giving an extra 25 litres.

Sabre 45 in DPM

To see the whole range click here

Additional dry bags designed to fit the whole range are also available although for complete waterproof dry bags I would probably go for the range made by Ortlieb.
Hope this helps.

#89557 - 03/26/07 09:57 PM Re: Thoughts on Packs & Bags [Re: MartinFocazio]
lukus Offline

Loc: TEXAS (where else?)
I have a Kifaru Express and an E&E that I take on and off the Express depending on what I'm using it for. I love it, and the E&E is a must have and worth every penny, I sometimes use it by itself. Definitely not cheap, but it's probably the last pack I'll buy. It's a bit heavy, but as comfortable as any pack I've carried.

When I bought it, it was a toss up between the Express and the Marauder. I like the simplicity of the Marauded where one zipper opens up the whole bag. In the end I went with the Express because I thought it would raise less scrutiny when going through an airport. I use it as carry on and can keep most of my essentials with me.

#89588 - 03/27/07 04:55 AM Re: Thoughts on Packs & Bags [Re: MartinFocazio]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
The toughest bags I have are old. Really old. But they've lasted and still seem to have almost infinite life left in them.

A small duffle, maybe 10" diameter by 14" long, made by Kelty. At least 25 years old.

A "Klettersack", made by Wilderness Experience, also more than a quarter century old.

The only new bag I have that feels as solid is a Deuter Futura 32. Actually this thing is just about bomb-proof. I guess I'd have to say it betters the bags I mentioned above. The bags above are extremely basic. In contrast, the Deuter is pretty high-end technical. It's maybe a bit large for warm weather day hikes, but perfect for warm weather overnighters or cold weather day hikes. But the thing is so dang comfortable that I end up taking it on most warm day hikes anyway. The Air Comfort system is wonderful. There are some detailed reviews of this bag at:

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/...%20Futura%2032/

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 259 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
Today at 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.