Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#895 - 07/07/01 05:57 PM Dacron fishing line
Anonymous
Unregistered

I was wondering if dacron fishing line would be good for my pocket survival kit. I figured it would be good for fishing but also useful for other tasks as well (unlike monofilament). Any ideas or info is appreciated.<br><br>

#896 - 07/10/01 03:38 AM Re: Dacron fishing line
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Mil-spec and USCG approved fishing kits have braided lines instead of monofilament, don't know for sure if they are Dacron. I suspect this is part of the reason.<br><br>Doug Ritter<br>Editor<br>Equipped To Survive
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#897 - 07/10/01 01:24 PM Re: Dacron fishing line
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have seen other's recommend SpiderWire fishing line. Something like 5 to 10 times stronger than similar sized monofilment lines. Reportedly you have to cut the line, biting and trying to break with your hands will not work. The drawback is it expensive and requires the use of certain knots because it is slippery. Expensive means $10-$15+ a spool. <br><br>Some people have reported that it is more likely to tangle. <br><br>This is an option you might want to investigate.<br><br>

#898 - 07/14/01 03:15 AM Re: Dacron fishing line
Anonymous
Unregistered

Are you talking about the sewing thread? There are two types DB-90 and DB-110. I have found that the Dacron Thread will hold there shape when wrapped tightly around a bobbin and they will absorb water. I carry some on a sewing bobbin for sewing only.<br><br>Jerry Sosa, Commander<br>Safety<br>Intermountain K-9 Search and Rescue

#899 - 07/15/01 01:55 AM Re: Dacron fishing line
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm talking about actual dacron fishing line, you can check it out in a bass pro or cabelas fishing catalog. I bought some 20lb test and I am well pleased. It has no memory(so it doesn't stay coiled up after being wrapped around a bobbin) and it is easier to tie than monofilament. It costs about 5-10 dollars for a 200yd spool.<br><br>

#900 - 07/21/01 09:48 PM Re: Dacron fishing line
Anonymous
Unregistered

Braided dacron is great. Easy to tie and handle. My second favorite, after braided nylon, which is impossible to find. The dacron is now getting harder to find. You may have to special order it from a fishing equipt. store or buy it online.<br><br>

#901 - 08/08/01 03:19 PM Re: Dacron fishing line
Anonymous
Unregistered

Braided Dacron is great stuff. It was the line of choice before mono really became established, and it is still a good choice. It doesn't stretch as much as mono, so it is very sensitive and responsive. One advantage that Dacron has over mono is it's bulk; when handlining a fish, with or without a hand reel, the texture and thickness of Dacron are a bit easier to manage than mono, and greatly better than Spiderwire or Firewire or something like that. The thinness of the new lines is murder on the hands. Even with Dacron, gloves are nice. I tossed some jigs to red snapper on a handline a couple of times, in the Gulf, to see what handlining a heavy fish was like. Dacron is a nice thing to have in the kit for use as general purpose cordage, or as thread. I have 550 cord, decoy cord (about 2-3mm braided nylon), braided dacron and nylon, Spectra, and heavy-duty thread, to use as cordage. Dacron is more stable in sunlight than nylon.<br><br>

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 220 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by brandtb
Yesterday at 10:50 PM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.