The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#89907 - 03/30/07 05:20 AM Re: Water Consumption - A new take [Re: stealthedc]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
I've been reading lots of these quotes, and it got me thinking. Usually, I'll have a quart of water in class, probably a coke in the afternoon, maybe a coke or glass of milk with dinner. In other words, probably close to 3-4 quarts/day.

For all of you drinking gallons (literally) of water daily, have you been checked for diabetes? One of the first symptoms IS polyuria and polydipsia: peeing and drinking too much. It's probably more of a concern if you find yourself drinking several normal sodas daily: that's a LOT of sugar you're pouring in.

Just something to think about.
http://diabetes.webmd.com/guide/understanding-diabetes-symptoms

#89925 - 03/30/07 01:00 PM Re: Water Consumption - A new take [Re: MDinana]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Checked every year- when I get the boredom munchies or the nervous munchies, I drink water or tea. I've done about 20 pounds in a year, and turned into a camel. smile

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#89942 - 03/30/07 06:25 PM Re: Water Consumption - A new take [Re: ironraven]
raydarkhorse Offline
Addict

Loc: on the road 10-11 months out o...
You need to take into account that we sometimes use our drinks like a comfort food, and tend to drink more than we really need when it is easily available. Watch when your occupied even when it's fairly strenuous you tend to drink less than when sitting around watching TV or working at less strenuous jobs. Watch construction workers in the summer (or your buddies if your a construction worker) they drink as much as you would in the field and for the most part they drink less than a lot of the folk who made these entries talk about.

#90718 - 04/08/07 07:54 PM Re: Water Consumption - Recommendation vs. Reality [Re: stealthedc]
ironbirdexplorer Offline
Stranger

Loc: Canada
Hey all, it's been a long time since I've posted on here. Been busy with work and family. It's good to be back.

I'm in Canada's Army and Canada being Canada, we do a lot of our work in winter and cold temperatures. One thing I've found is that I actually get more dehydrated in winter and in cold temperatures than summer temperatures. I've come to believe, without reading a whole lot of research to back this up, that the reason for this is that during the summer and in hot temperatures (yes we do get hot temperatures here in Canada's summer, almost hot enought to melt our igloos!). I'm more conscious of dehydration and take steps to prevent it. During the winter, I'm less conscious and find myself getting dehydrated really quickly. I find the results of winter dehydration at about 3 or 4 in the morning when I'm snug in my sleeping bag and my guts start to churn with diarrhea and I have to conduct my personal "Operation White-Light, No-Duff" dash for the nearest commode, generally a poor unsuspecting birch or poplar. I don't know if anyone else suffers dehydration like this, but it seems linked for me. Of course, checking dehydration here in Canada's winter is dirt simple...Does the snow turn yellow?

Iron

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 223 Guests and 93 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.