Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#881 - 07/03/01 01:10 PM Wallet-sized Morse Code cards?
Craig Offline

Loc: Collegeville, PA, USA
I went to the Morse Code link Doug was kind enough to post in the fantastic LED flashlight review he recently conducted. I printed out two copies. One for my wife and myself. I know it really isn't taught anymore, but I intend to learn it. I've read many stories of trapped people, both accident survivors and POWs, who used Morse Code as their only means of communication. My question is, is there any place I can get laminated, wallet-sized Morse Code cards?<br><br>

#882 - 07/03/01 03:56 PM Re: Wallet-sized Morse Code cards?
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Print your own ,utilising both sides of the card for additional information.Then take them to a print shop or one of those vending machines that laminates documents. Morse is'nt entirely forgotten by us old pelicans! .... I . _ l ..._ I . I .._. I .._ I _. <br><br>

#883 - 07/04/01 11:05 AM Re: Wallet-sized Morse Code cards?
Greg Offline
newbie member

Loc: Washington State, U.S.A.
too bad there isn't a readily available source for a few other<br>items as well. I'd love to have a basic knot tying card and<br>one with the major pressure points. I'd like to have a few<br>"memory enhancers" for basic ocean survival as well. I am<br>also an illiterate/ innocent when it comes to fishing techniques. <br>(Lets see, according to the card, I do what with the swivel(s)?)<br><br><br>

#884 - 07/04/01 08:20 PM Re: Wallet-sized Morse Code cards?
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

There are many Card sets,both military and civilian. MajorSurplusNSurvival is selling a set. There is the excellent SAS FLICKBOOK. Again,if you can make a clear copy lamination is available. Im looking into this myself. Practical experience is essential;but what if we were incapacitated with a untrained party? We can all "get stupid" due to fatique or injury .A warning on knot illustrations; knots are a three dimensional construction.The best of instructions can leave you frustrated.I had a Bos'uns Mate use HUGE ship's hawsers on the parade ground. You complete that knot and you NEVER forget!<br><br>

#885 - 07/05/01 12:22 PM Re: Wallet-sized Morse Code cards?
NAro Offline
Addict

Greg<br> Forget about the card on pressure points. The Wilderness Medicine suggestions now are to go for direct pressure and not fool around with pressure points - (check some of the excellant manuals listed in ETS). Can't say I've had any direct personal experience with this, thankfully. Perhaps another forumite has.<br><br>

#886 - 08/08/01 04:03 PM Re: Wallet-sized Morse Code cards?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Medical instruction cards are something I am looking around for, as well, but I can tell you that there are some passable knot cards. The kind I remember the name of are Pro-Knots - there are different ones, such as fishing knots, flyfishing knots, and rope knots. Not bad, about 5 or 6 double-sided leaves per "book", normal wallet card size, maybe a bit thicker per leaf than Nading cards.<br><br>

#887 - 08/09/01 12:19 PM Re: Wallet-sized Morse Code cards?
Craig Offline

I know Eastern Mountain Sports has knot-tying cards. I also found these other cards on the web:<br>http://www.preparedness.com/surdecofcar.html<br>http://www.safetycentral.com/surcarwitcom.html<br>http://www.survivalcard.com/<br>I know www.campmor.com has some as well.<br><br>

#888 - 08/10/01 12:41 PM Re: Wallet-sized Morse Code cards?
Craig Offline

I found the card set at MajorSurplusNSurvival as well as the SAS FLICKBOOK very easily.<br><br>Something called the "Brunton® Life Card" is mentioned at http://www.adventuresports.com/asap/product/mpi/survival.htm, but I can't find that anywhere. Now I'm curious. Does anyone know where that product may be found?<br><br>

#889 - 08/10/01 01:32 PM Re: Wallet-sized Morse Code cards?
Anonymous
Unregistered

>>Something called the "Brunton® Life Card"... but I can't find that anywhere. Now I'm curious. Does anyone know where that product may be found?<<<br><br>Maybe. Brunton markets what, to put it charitably, has to be the most minimalist "survival kit" I've ever heard of, consisting entirely of a Fresnel card-lens, a "floating compass" that appears to be a compass dial -just the dial- that you can float in water, and some sort of instruction card, all in a shirt-pocketable vinyl envelope for $5. I've seen them at REI from time to time, but you can't really tell anything much without opening the package, and the web site is not much more helpful:<br><br>http://www.rei.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=2470717&prmenbr=8000<br><br>I had momentary thoughts that, if the compass dial is flat enough and durable enough, it might comfortably live in a wallet, which would be unique for a compss... but there's no way to tell without opening it, and I have real reservations about anything magnetic that close to my credit card strips. The picture on the package shows a compass dial floating in water in the palm of a hand.. well, that should keep anyone from using unnecessarily often...<br><br>Anyway, I suspect the instruction card is the one they're referring to.<br><br>

#890 - 08/10/01 06:11 PM Re: Wallet-sized Morse Code cards?
Craig Offline

I'll see your reservations and double them. Sounds very mediocre at best to me.<br><br>

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 528 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.