Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#88963 - 03/21/07 01:09 AM Re: Carrying survival gear for more than one perso [Re: Johno]
raydarkhorse Offline
Addict

Loc: on the road 10-11 months out o...
When I'm camping or just out having a good time, I will share any part of my gear. In a bug out situation I might help you and give you some info but I won't give up my gear without a fight.

#88979 - 03/21/07 04:27 AM Re: Carrying survival gear for more than one perso [Re: Blast]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Immoral and fun can be two totally different things...

#88998 - 03/21/07 01:26 PM Re: Carrying survival gear for more than one perso [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
Immoral and fun can be two totally different things...

Well, I suppose in theory that might be true... grin

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#89060 - 03/21/07 10:24 PM Re: Carrying survival gear for more than one perso [Re: amper]
samhain Offline
Addict

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I consider carrying a little extra as an investment.

If something happens to my hiking partner because they are not as equipped as they "should" be, then it's going to fall to me to drag their butt out.

It's also a little cushion should Murphy chose to tag along (being the party pooper that he is).

There's a balance of course between me being the pack mule and the other person being responsible for his/herself.

I only hike with those I care about so the investment isn't a burden.

#89078 - 03/21/07 11:53 PM Re: Carrying survival gear for more than one person. [Re: unimogbert]
J_Michael Offline
Almost a Stranger
stranger

In the wilderness I often duplicate essentials and have whomever I am with carry them along. Some things such as bandaids, and aspirin and so forth are for sharing. My 10yr. old carries an emergency blanket, mirror, and now firesteel & tinder, a small Swiss army and a lanyard held photon light and whistle in addition to trail gear in a pack. The lanyard is "always, always on.
In a true survival situation I figure what you have is what you have be it myself or others and for me the smaller and lighter it is the more probable I'll have it so things like eating utensils are out.
I have to say, in the great outdoors, if you need it and I do not you've got it. If we both need it we will just have to share.....

#89079 - 03/22/07 12:02 AM Re: Carrying survival gear for more than one person. [Re: amper]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
My kits are all social.

My BOB sits at home and is tailored towards my immediate family needs, not just personal. I won't bug out without my family. Gathering family is part of my emergency plan.

My office and car kits are tailored towards getting me home, probably on foot ~7 miles, and contains the usual stuff people cite here. But they also include a supplement bag - a healthy supply of ABD pads, triangle bandages, cheap plastic ponchos, latex gloves, masks and other things I'm pretty sure I'll be using or handing out before I get home - there are 300 people in my office building alone, after a quake some of them will need to apply pressure, or worse. Many of them will exit the building coatless into PNW cold and rain. I'm not currently on a team tasked with helping them all, but I intend to help as many as resources allow. Until my employer stocks and prepares adequately, that's my commitment. Bought in bulk, these things are cheap, mostly non-perishable and worth having than not.

My home kits include similar provisions for neighborhood triage and assistance. I won't feed them all, but I have supplies and training to give basic first aid, set up a triage with others and some emergency shelter and warmth for at least immediate neighbors as necessary. Again, the community isn't organized for more than that yet, and government response could be days away. My 'community' kit reflects the commitment and training I can contribute if the shake happens tomorrow (think CERT).

The natural follow on to social kits is community preparedness - neighbors and office workers. I'm finding that slow going.

#89450 - 03/25/07 05:02 PM Re: Carrying survival gear for more than one person. [Re: J_Michael]
aligator Offline
Journeyman

Loc: NY
Ladies and Gents. IMHO there is a difference between equipping a dumb/lazy/ignorant... whatever person that continually under prepares for recreational endeavors,equipping to protect family members and others that either can't carry their own load (wife bad knees, daughter too young to carry much), and those that won't (wife), and preparing for rescues.

For recalcitrant others, I have a neighbor, older couple, pretty well off. On several occasions, I've helped them out by blowing their driveway after a heavy snow fall. I suggested they get a snow blower or contract with someone to plow their driveway. As of yet, they still shovel. Experience is a wonderful teacher, and if you face adversity often enough, most people will adjust. If not???

Rescue; How much can you carry, and in what scenarios would you rescue others? I'm an ex-EMT and an RN. I'm still trying to figure out how to carry a MASH unit in addition to all the other stuff (wife bad knees/non believer)that fill my bag. The conclusion I've come to is that I will never be able to carry enough to address everyones needs. I will equip and educate myself to reasonably answer my families needs and will help others when and as i can without compromising my families position. Regards, Jim

Edited by aligator (03/25/07 05:04 PM)

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 560 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.