Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#88880 - 03/20/07 01:51 PM Re: Carrying survival gear for more than one person. [Re: Susan]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
I carry enough plus a very little bit more. I try not to hike where the tourists go for many reasons.

If my regular hiking companions were to not carry their share I'd accept that ONCE. And we'd have a talk. And if it didn't change we'd not be regular companions any more. That's the plus side to their not being relatives!

Once upon a time I decided to not hike anymore with a fellow who had gone on several outings with me and my other buddies but who scared me for his lack of awareness. He wasn't a full participant and couldn't save me if I needed help (couldn't even find the car when spot-checked!). He understood and later took some Sierra Club courses, worked up to Trip Leader, and then had to spend an unexpected night out. :-)

Only gear I've really loaned on the trail was in Rocky Mtn Nat'l Park when a solo individual from N. Carolina described being really confused on top of the tundra where he was doing cross-country camping zones. He'd left his compass at home. I loaned him mine because my buddy had his. (He mailed it back later)

unimogbert

#88881 - 03/20/07 02:03 PM Re: Carrying survival gear for more than one person. [Re: Susan]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I would loan stuff to my brother, but he usually out-gears me. Other than that, no I don't. Carry stuff for other people capable of carrying their own? No frakkin' way. If someone needs water bad enough for me to give it to them, then my hike just turned into a rescue.

#88883 - 03/20/07 02:29 PM Re: Carrying survival gear for more than one perso [Re: Rio]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I am all for helping someone it trouble, but if I played with the same group a lot, and the same people were always underequipped and wanting to use my stuff, I would come to the conclusion that they were using me ("I won't worry about buying one of those, OBG will let me use his again"). If we are talking about a built in air compressor I might have in my jeep or something that is one thing, but smaller, less expensive, must have stuff (eating gear, compass, knife, first aid kit {ala Jon Dorn of Backpacker Magazine}), after the second time we would be having a talk. If I can bring two of something, they can sure bring one...

#88889 - 03/20/07 03:26 PM Re: Carrying survival gear for more than one person. [Re: amper]
stealthedc Offline

Loc: Durham NC
I do not carry extra gear for others. When all is said and done, it is heavy enough to carry what you have for yourself. That is not to say that I could not improvise with what I had to assist others.

I did, however, have a "Guest BOB" at my house for some time. Now it has been converted into a kid's supplies BOB that an adult would carry for my kids. The guest stuff has made way for more baby clothes, wipes, diapers, and water now that I have a 2 month old in the house. It could be and still is a minimal "Guest BOB", but the guest needs to know that the primary reason for the bag is supplies for my children, which the guest obviously can't use anyway. My 2 year old has her own BOB with 1 Daltrex 2400 ration, .5liter of water, change of clothes, wistle, poncho, mylar blanket and a couple toys, but she still can't even carry it on her own. She is indeed quite skilled with a flashlight and can turn on basically any push-button flashlight and knows how to point and where not to (aka in the eyes). But back on topic-

Although I prefer and am better suited to bug-in, a bug-out situation could occur when you have company visiting, so my philosophy is that it is always best to have some supplies that they can take with them. Granted, I take a personal kit with me wherever I go, which supplements my EDC, but others do not carry around a BOB let alone have one...

#88892 - 03/20/07 04:09 PM Re: Carrying survival gear for more than one person. [Re: stealthedc]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
My PSK and hiking -kit is made for just one person. The BOB is for 4 persons (family of 4)

The only things others have used/loaned were water, flashlights and FAK-supplies.
I always carry more of those things on my person and in kit (and for redundancy of course), so it isn't really a problem, allthough I always say that they should purchase their own gear.

#88912 - 03/20/07 06:25 PM Re: Carrying survival gear for more than one perso [Re: amper]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Camping and bugging are slightly different things. I've gone camping and carried the biggest pack because, well, as a big husky I am the size of BOTH the two young ladies I was camping with. (And nothing immoral occured.)

Bugging is different. There have only ever been two team bug out plans I've had. One is with family, and I'm carrying a lot of the heavy stuff but my mom comes up to my shoulder and my dad has a back problem. The other was in college, with a friend who has the same hobby (points into the mass of lurkers in the peanut gallery) who would have been humping his own gear; we had the same route to the halfway point before going in opposite directions on a major route.

If it is an actual get out of dodge, I'm alone or with people I trust. If I don't trust, I might give you water (bring your own bottle) and a lit stick (NOT a lighter, sparklite, match or anything else), but that is about it unless it is a barter item.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#88915 - 03/20/07 06:45 PM Re: Carrying survival gear for more than one perso [Re: ironraven]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
I am the size of BOTH the two young ladies I was camping with. (And nothing immoral occured.)

Better luck next time! grin

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#88920 - 03/20/07 07:26 PM Re: Carrying survival gear for more than one perso [Re: Blast]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Well, I figured someone would read something into the statement that wasn't there. :P Should have known it would be you.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#88923 - 03/20/07 07:42 PM Re: Carrying survival gear for more than one perso [Re: amper]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Bah! Other than extra water, what's mine is mine. Will I share? Yes. But that means getting something back. My pack is just as heavy as the next guy, but if he's under packed, why should I make my pack heavier? He can borrow my knife, drink some of my water (he can keep that), use my fork while I use my spoon, squeeze into my tent. But to carry doubles of everything isn't really practical, much less fair, IMHO. I'm not in the business of giving things away, especially on a student's budget. Maybe to my girlfriend or brother, but that's about it.

#88926 - 03/20/07 08:12 PM Re: Carrying survival gear for more than one perso [Re: MDinana]
Johno Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Scotland
I am in two minds on this. One side of me is the hard "its mine and you cant have it" side and the other is the one where I would help out anyone if they asked me.

Such as I always carry enough in my FAK to treat a good few minor injuries. I also carry two means of shelter.

What I wont do is carry enough food for anyone else. Whenever I go out my scoff is calculated for me for the length of time I'm out.

I suppose in a life saving scenario you would share, I would hope someone would do the same for me.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 457 Guests and 33 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Today at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.