Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#88646 - 03/18/07 01:07 AM Re: canned food rotation [Re: OldBaldGuy]
FRERAD1776 Offline

We mix soups in ours ie. chx/rice and chx/noodles.

It adds a little chance to the selection. :-)

#88647 - 03/18/07 01:13 AM Re: canned food rotation [Re: frenchy]
FRERAD1776 Offline

Measure each type can you wish to use and then make the slots to fit.

The Cansolidator adjusts to take any 2 1/2 or smaller can.

#88659 - 03/18/07 04:48 AM Re: canned food rotation [Re: FRERAD1776]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
If you've got shelving or a cupboard that is suitable for monthly collections, don't try to change all of the food from one shelf to the next, just change the labels. Find some kind of label system that you can attach to the shelves (above or below) and be able to move.

Simple way: Got some old plastic 1" venetion blinds? Cut them into 4"-6" lengths and write a month on each one. Apply Velcro to the back of each one (soft fizzy side of the Velcro). Apply the hook side of the Velcro to the edge of the shelves. When you want to 'rotate' your food, just move the label.

Sue

#88668 - 03/18/07 01:05 PM Re: canned food rotation [Re: frenchy]
BlackSwan Offline

Frenchy,
I put my food and water in plastic milk crates. That way they can be shifted easily. A pantry, a bug in stash and a bug out stash all in one simple system.

Cardboard goes on the bottom of the crates with the name of whatever goes there written on it. Then when something is taken, we know what is missing when it is time to make up the weekly grocery list. There is a missing item and a name at the bottom... makes it real easy and fast to make up the grocery list

Each item gets the month/year purchased written on it in marker where it is easy to see.
Every few months I check for old items and use/replace them.

I have used this system for years and it works well for me.

Jeff
Too organized smile

#88672 - 03/18/07 02:57 PM Re: canned food rotation [Re: frenchy]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I wouldn't send those guys a single cent (US or Euro)! What a rip off. I'd just use my own ruler, measure my cans and draw my own plans.

Frenchy, what kind of pantry set up do you have?

If you're deep, look at the manufactured ones- it is a pair of angles with an opening in the back. Dowels, hardware cloth (wire mesh, fairly stiff) or canvas, a carpenter's stapler, something to make row guides, and closet rod brackets are you need if you are retrofitting an existing closet-like pantry.

If is wide but narrow, take out your existing shelves, and put in new ones that have about a 30* slope to them and run the full width of the pantry. Put them at the top, pull them from the bottom. Think one half of the above design.

If you are so narrow you can't put the cans in width wise, then you need some kind of guides- look at gutter material. Mount it running up and down in pairs with the hollows facing each other. Not the best description- look at this thing. On the left side of the door, the green soda cans. Follow that basic concept.

There is no reason to buy if you aren't going to be using metal.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#88691 - 03/18/07 05:18 PM Re: canned food rotation [Re: frenchy]
frenchy Offline
Veteran

Loc: France
Thanks for your thoughts on the subject.
I have now a few ideas to consider.

And maybe I should start to make an inventory :
- of the various cupboards I want to use (2 or 3 different places in the appartment + shelves in the basement)
- of the various cans (contents + sizes) I need to store.

#88694 - 03/18/07 05:42 PM Re: canned food rotation [Re: ironraven]
frenchy Offline
Veteran

Loc: France
I have various cupboards or shelves to equip.
That's why something like the Cansolidator design appealed to me, at first. It is easy to install and use on existing shelves, to change the configuration, a.s.o...

But now, you got me thinking : I may have other options by building new shelves or using other designs.
I.e., I have, in one pantry, a wall which usable depth is about 9cm. I will check and see if I can find some PVC pipe of the correct diameter. That would give a good vertical storage, against an unused wall ! Drilling of few holes would allow to check how many cans are in (like my .45 pistol magazine)

O.K., let's get back to the drawing board ...

#88769 - 03/19/07 03:29 AM Re: canned food rotation [Re: frenchy]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Check out standeyo.com for thisd kind of info. The book: "Dare To Prepare" by Holly Deyo is a good referece on this subject.

#88780 - 03/19/07 11:55 AM Re: canned food rotation [Re: wildman800]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Where in particular is this book? All I found was a lot of stuff on the edge of the black helicopter crowd.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#88823 - 03/19/07 09:35 PM Re: canned food rotation [Re: frenchy]
desertrat1 Offline

Loc: Kingman AZ
If you have Microsoft Excel, there is a spreadsheet out on the web titled DFPlanImp.zip. It calculates the amount you need to store for your family size. items can be substituted, and has recommened shelf life for the items.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 492 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Today at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.