Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#88698 - 03/18/07 05:47 PM Short hike
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
Since it didn't rain overnight, we went on a short hike this past Wednesday morning despite a sudden and heavy downpour. But fortunately, the rain lasted for less than 30 minutes, so off we go with my little 3 year old.

The trail was a little muddy and the rocks were slippery, so I made her hold hands, which saved her from several falls.

I guess the wet brought out the snails. These were some of the biggest that I have seen which shell lengths of 4-5 inches long and shell height of about 3 inches. Some French chef somewhere must be drooling.

We also saw some interesting fungus.

The trail goes through here.

The recent rains sure made these guys happy.

The strawberry guavas were plentiful, ripe and delicious. We picked a handful from various trees and soon I had a little bag of them. We munched on some as we went. When we got home, there was only about 2-3 dozen or so left. I saw a couple of guavas too, but they were over the side of the trail and I didn't feel like taking a chance of falling into the gorge. Forgot to take a picture, and missed them on the way out as my daughter was tired and done with hiking.

That was it for our little excursion.

#88702 - 03/18/07 08:18 PM Re: Short hike [Re: aloha]
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego

Aloha:

Outstanding action report, would like to see others take the time to document there little hikes and outing to share with the rest of us. I will be looking for the next one. When I go out I will give you a report of my outing.

#88720 - 03/18/07 11:36 PM Re: Short hike [Re: ]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Geez. You got some funky fungus on the island.

But good eating! crazy

They actually look like a white version of the black one found in some Chinese cooking. The black one is a little crunchy and full of vitamins, or so I am told. I am not sure if the white one is even edible.

#88721 - 03/18/07 11:36 PM Re: Short hike [Re: big_al]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

I look forward to your outing post Al.

#88796 - 03/19/07 02:29 PM Re: Short hike [Re: NightHiker]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Aloha,

Thanks for the hike review! That is one funky snail and I love picture #4 with all the branches.

How long were you out there, how far did you go and did your 3-yr. old walk the whole way? Does she carry much of her own water? Dads want to know!

Thanks,
-Blast

Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#88813 - 03/19/07 05:30 PM Re: Short hike [Re: Blast]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Aloha Blast,

Those snails are really messing us up. But I wasn't expecting to see them or so many so I never checked to see what we are supposed to do if we run into them.

Funny thing about that tangle of branches...it was a good sized tangle, but once you get into the middle of it, you can stand upright no problem. And I do mean you. I know you are tall, but you and your buddy Yao Ming can both stnad upright in there. Yao might break his back getting in and out, but inside, lots of head room. I liked that spot too. My daughter had no problem, but she ducked too when I did. Kinda cute.

The particulars...we were in there for about an hour or so. So that means we only went about a mile or 1 1/2 round trip. She did walk until she wanted to go home, then she had to be carried about 1/4 to 1/2 mile. Then she walked the rest of the way out.

She did start off carrying her water, but about half way in, shucked her pack so I carried it. I weighed my kids packs out to about 2 pounds with a small Nalgene bottle of water, a few snacks, etc. Remember the little yellow backpack I put together for the 4H group? My girls each have one and I make them take it with them on hikes. My wife asked me if I posted the little safety booklet I made for the kids, and I haven't taken the time to. But I think when I have a few free moments, I will to get all of your expert commentaries. I'll also look for a link to the yellow 4H packs and post that too.

I think it really depends on her mood, since she did a slightly longer hike that was more hilly before she was 2 and she went for it holding my hand all the way up. Now that she is almost 3, sometimes she likes it and sometimes she doesn't. My older girl, who will be six in a few months, will go hike all the way. Her longest hike so far has been about five miles or so that she did under her own power about a year ago. I think with kids, you can't make them enjoy it so we just take them to get them outside, try to make it fun by having their friends along and having some activities and/or equipment to make their time more interesting and enjoyable, encourage them and not push them too hard.

As always,
Aloha!

#88817 - 03/19/07 06:01 PM Re: Short hike [Re: aloha]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Here is a link to the kids backpack thread:

http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.ph...=true#Post73420

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (jds), 517 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by chaosmagnet
Today at 07:18 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Today at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.