Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#85532 - 02/13/07 01:35 AM food shortages
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I came across an article last June stating that food shortages would start appearing around Sep'06. The article further stated that some major chains were "remodeling", widening aisles/decreasing shelf space. I did observe that and bare shelves appearing that held sugar, flour, & some odds & ends of other products. I read another article in Dec'06 that stated the shortages would be more obvious by Feb'07. I am seeing this. I ordered groceries for my towboat last month, I can't get canned Crowder Peas. My grocer informed me that they disappeared towards the end of Nov'06.
I fully expect shortages in corn products (Tortillas have risen 400% in Mexico & South America), wheat, whey, barley, oats, sugar, & some other staples besides.
Has anybody else noticed empty shelf space in stores?

#85533 - 02/13/07 04:43 AM Re: food shortages
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Interesting. One big reason may be a lot of cropland is being switched over to corn for ethanol. This is a Really Bad Idea.

-Blast

Edited by Blast (02/13/07 04:48 AM)
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#85534 - 02/13/07 08:31 AM Re: food shortages
Blackeagle Offline

Loc: Salt Lake City, UT
Quote:
Has anybody else noticed empty shelf space in stores?

I'm skeptical of the usefulness of looking a little bit of empty shelf space as an indicator of food shortages. You're going to get a lot of false positives from lazy stockers.

#85535 - 02/13/07 12:40 PM Re: food shortages
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
The only thing I've noticed missing from the shelves has been six packs of eggs. But since they had plenty of 12, 18 and flats of eggs I'm not too willing to read a lot into it. Even when the pass to Cheyenne is hit or miss, the stores here seem to stay pretty well stocked.

#85536 - 02/13/07 07:54 PM Re: food shortages
Micah513 Offline

Loc: Springfield, MO
Only times I've seen shortages here was late in the day on 9/11 and just last month during the ice storm here a bunch of items were cleaned out.

Other than that the local SuperCenter has more than enough supplies on hand... at least 24 hours worth of stuff.

If the terriorists hit us hard then you might need to worry about this a little more. But then again I don't know if they would ever be able to pull off a big enough attack to fully cripple our supply chains. When you factor in the fact that we live in a global community with food & stuff coming in from around the globe I don't know that we will ever be cutoff permanently.

There will always be local shortages for various reasons.

#85537 - 02/16/07 08:48 PM Re: food shortages
BrianTexas Offline
Ordinary Average Guy
Enthusiast

Loc: North Central Texas, USA
I've read about the increase in prices of corn (maize for our European brethren) and think it is due to the interest in ethanol production. The irony is that we can't produce enough corn in order to replace all of our foreign supplied oil (at least without depleting our food stocks).

On the overall question of food stocks, I think that you are refering to local shortages caused by specific factors. In Dallas the stores get cleaned out the moment a single snowflake hits the ground. If we keep several weeks of canned/dried foods in the pantry, we should be able to ride out any specific shortages.

I'm more concerned about the water supply. Even if I have filtration and purification equipment on hand, it won't be useful if water isn't around. The area lakes around Dallas were hit pretty hard by last summer's heat wave. All of the recent rain hasn't helped the lakes rise back to normal levels.

#85538 - 02/18/07 09:17 PM Re: food shortages
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

A news release Friday states that honey bees in several states have disappeared. I am not making this up. Coast to Coast AM carried the story last night. No dead bee bodies and this is not attributed to the mites that have been killing bees (I guess they leave some remains behind). 1 "bee" family on the east coast had 3000 hives, now they have 800 hives and no idea where their bees have gone to.
Bees pollinate 1/3rd of our food crops and wind does the rest.

#85539 - 02/19/07 11:38 PM Re: food shortages
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
The plague, or whatever it is, has happened since the last harvest. It can't be blaimed for anything right now.

A year from now, maybe.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#86580 - 02/24/07 07:26 AM Re: food shortages [Re: wildman800]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I listened to an update on the "disappearing bees" story tonight, by Linda Moulton Howe. The bees are disappearing in 22 states and it is 60%+ of the hives affected, that are being wiped out (1 example given was 800 hives remained out of 1 company's 3000 hives). The same story is occurring in Spain and Italy (the 2 major apiary suppliers in Europe). Honey bees imported from Australia (because ours are disappearing) are also disappearing once they have been introduced into this country. The current hypothesis concerns new pesticides and insecticides that have been introduced into agriculture within the last few years. Because the bees leave the hive before they die, there are no bodies to autopsy and thus there isn't a possible "smoking gun" as yet, just the mystery.
Besides the fact that honey bees pollinate 1/3rd of our food producing crops, they also pollinate those plants that feed other animals and those non-food crops (cotton?) that we make use of.
I would like to know why the mainstream media spends so much air time on Anna Nicole and hasn't said a peep on this subject (no, I really am not that nieve).

#88616 - 03/17/07 08:27 PM Re: food shortages [Re: wildman800]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

New information reported by Linda Moulton Howe on C2C-AM last night, the northern bee keepers are now starting to open up their hives (they were last checked in Nov 2006) and they are finding 60% - 96% of their bees are gone. Other pollinating insects have also been determined to be MIA. She's reporting, based on interviews with Fed & Florida State Agriculture people stating that an emergency does exist and that food shortages may be apparent before the end of 2007.

She also reported that herbicides mixing with insecticides, rodenticides, and pesticides may be mixng together, after being applied, to form new chemicals that no one has a clue about or what their impact on the local ecology (includes humans) may be.

One insecticide in particular, based on Nicotine, has been identified by the French & Italian gov'ts to be, at least partly, responsible for the decimation of bee hives in their countries. They have banned the Nicotine based insecticide. She didn't state (or I missed it) whether their bee populations were rebounding after this insecticide was banned within their borders.

She also reported that the long term effects of Genetically Modified crops MAY have something to do with the insects disappearances. Again, the long term effects on humans have not been ascertained as yet either.

Information on last night's show can be seen at:
coasttocoastam.com

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (chaosmagnet, Eugene), 482 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Today at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.