Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#88487 - 03/15/07 11:33 PM Benifits of a Partiially Serrated Blade?
alvacado Offline

Loc: South Texas
I am in the process of upgrading my EDC for the sole purpose of having a stronger knife should I need on in an emergency or "survival" situation. I have selected the Benchmade 556 and am undecided about the plain or partially serrated blade. I have carried a knife for decades and have found little use for the partially serrated blade. Am I missing something?

Regards,

Al

Age and Treachery will overcome Youth and Enthusiasm

#88491 - 03/16/07 12:08 AM Re: Benifits of a Partiially Serrated Blade? [Re: alvacado]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
ON a larger blade I suppose serrations can be useful but on a blade less than 3", to me it's a "why even bother?" type of question. I had a Delica 50/50 blade that sits in the box now after replacing it with a full plain edge Salt 1. The serrations always got in the way when I was slicing or spreading and they are a bit more difficult to sharpen.

Since I also have a Leatherman in my day pack which has a full length serrated blade and a saw blade in addition to the plain edge blade - I see it as being the best backup tool I've got.

That said - my MK3 is carried in my vehicle kit.

#88493 - 03/16/07 12:18 AM Re: Benifits of a Partiially Serrated Blade? [Re: alvacado]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I don't think you're missing anything. The only serrated blade I have is a mostly serrated Spyderco Rescue that stays in the console of my truck, strictly for use on seatbelts should the need arise. None of the knives I carry have serrations.

#88498 - 03/16/07 12:41 AM Re: Benifits of a Partiially Serrated Blade? [Re: alvacado]
MarshAviator Offline
Marsh Aviator
Journeyman

Loc: Baton Rouge, LA, USA
Al,
The main thing that I personally find serrations useful for is cutting of strap,rope or fabric tubing.
Like many people if I could only choose one, it would be a standard or non-serrated blade.
Because some don't want to carry two knives (standard and serrated); the partially serrated was born.

IMHO the serrated knife is a rescue,escape (egress) or work item not a survival item.

#88505 - 03/16/07 02:12 AM Re: Benifits of a Partiially Serrated Blade? [Re: alvacado]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
No, you’re not missing anything. Blade serrations are mainly used for sawing fibrous materials such as rope, webbing, fabric, etc. It works great for that use, but makes the knife a complete pain in the butt for anything else. In an emergency or survival situation, you will likely need your knife for more than just cutting rope and so forth, so a plain non-serrated edge is better in my opinion.

Serrations may make cutting rope go faster, but plain edges can cut through it as well (with a little more effort) and are much more versatile and much easier to sharpen (especially in the field).

If you find yourself partial to having serrations, simply carry a multitool that has both a plain-edge and a serrated blade. That way, you can always pull out the serrated blade when it will count the most. Having one blade that’s partially serrated and partially plain-edge just makes a knife that’s kind of a pain in any situation, in my opinion.

#88516 - 03/16/07 03:49 AM Re: Benifits of a Partiially Serrated Blade? [Re: JCWohlschlag]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
I like partialy serrated works good less strain on your hand since you can do the 'saw' motion... there are times when you don't want it as well so it's a toss up wink

#88517 - 03/16/07 03:52 AM Re: Benifits of a Partiially Serrated Blade? [Re: alvacado]
Menawa Offline

If your main purpose is to be able to cut cordage (or a seat belt) lightning fast, then a serrated blade might make sense. But it is my prejudiced opinion that serrated blades are primarily for people that don't know how to sharpen a knife, and that people that know how to sharpen a knife don't want a serrated blade.

#88529 - 03/16/07 01:32 PM Re: Benifits of a Partiially Serrated Blade? [Re: alvacado]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Beyond the limited benefits of a partially serrated blade, you can always put a toothy edge on a plain edge by finishing the sharpening process on a coarse stone. This way you can have a polished edge near the hilt where you want to push cut and a toothy edge at the tip where you draw cut. $.02

#88530 - 03/16/07 02:11 PM Re: Benifits of a Partiially Serrated Blade? [Re: Russ]
Micah513 Offline

Loc: Springfield, MO
Because of this site I bought the Benchmade 556s and I must say I love it. I got the serrated mainly for the seatbelt & rope options. (as has already been mentioned)

The main thing I use my knife for is cutting up fruit - 2 to 3 a day - the length that is non-serrated is plenty long enough for that. I keep the straight edge very sharp.

I guess the question I would ask is why not have the partial serrated?

is there some task/job that it isn't able to perform?

Sharpening is not a problem from what I can tell.

#88531 - 03/16/07 02:28 PM Re: Benifits of a Partiially Serrated Blade? [Re: alvacado]
lukus Offline

Loc: TEXAS (where else?)
If you know how to sharpen a knife and keep it touched up, there isn't really any good reason for the serrations. I've found that they are really more of a hinderance when trying to get a clean cut. Cutting cardboard or paper just leaves a ragged edge and catches more than it cuts.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 226 Guests and 50 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.