The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#86870 - 02/27/07 10:35 PM Thoughts on Packs & Bags
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
As a self-professed "Bag & Pouch Addict" I have tried over the years to find the perfect bags and pouches. For the most part I have been disappointed in most of the packs and pouches I have owned, and of late, I've been getting rid of bags and pouches that I simply don't use. I've found that what's left all seems to share these basic design principles:

Simple Construction - minimal, if any, interior specialty structures, key fobs, pen pockets, ipod sockets or other apparently task-specific construction elements. Some days I need to carry more than 2 pens. Other days I need to carry more than one laptop. Simple construction lets me organize the interior as I see fit.

All Chambers Close with Zippers - Not velcro, latches, snaps, buckles, buttons, turnbuckles or lashing - just good, high-quality, sand-proof, user-proof Zippers.

No Open-Top Chambers. Inversion, dropping and throwing a bag should not cause any contents to come out.

Very Strong Materials & Durable Bottoms - My bags get dragged, thrown, dropped and rolled on cement, dirt, rocks gravel and snow. I don't like it when a simple drag over 12" of cement leads to a ruined bag.

At least water-resistant, if not water proof. - This is a tough standard, but for me, it's grown into a must-have, I'd even settle for a single dry-section of a "normal" bag, but I don't want to have to find out that the bag I tossed up under the bow of the boat 3 hours ago during a body recovery search on the lake ago rolled back and landed in the bilge and now my maps, camera and batteries are soaked. A fully waterproof bag is a bit heavy and expensive if you have waterproof zippers, but a dry section would be great.

Porta-Brace brand products are the closest I've found to meeting these requirements, Pelican also makes some really good bags these days.

#86873 - 02/27/07 11:13 PM Re: Thoughts on Packs & Bags [Re: MartinFocazio]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I'd never heard of Porta-Brace, so I did a google and checked them out. They look pretty use specific, primarily camera type gear. Do they have any regular old backpacks that I missed???

I agree with your requirements above, tough and simple usually win out over fancy...

#86876 - 02/27/07 11:45 PM Re: Thoughts on Packs & Bags [Re: MartinFocazio]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Water-resistance being as important as it is, has anyone here regularly applied products like Scotchguard to their bags? I understand that you have to do it every few months. But does it work at least reasonably well under the conditions that Marty mentions?

If not Scotchguard, what?

Sue

#86880 - 02/28/07 12:09 AM Re: Thoughts on Packs & Bags [Re: Susan]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
I have found that, for simplicity & ruggedness, tactical tailor makes good bags. I have a daypack that I've used for several years, and not in the most hospitable environments. The one I have has 4 pockets: an outside pocket, sorta like a map pocket; a middle pocket, whic is designed to put in stripped MRE's about 3 days worth (easily); and the main compartment, that can hold enough gear for several days. I have an older version of the one on this page: http://www.tacticaltailor.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=294
Mine has side compression straps, where you can also attach a couple of bags. there is an inner sleeve for a hydration system as well. It isnt waterproof, but, it is definitely rugged.

#86884 - 02/28/07 12:50 AM Re: Thoughts on Packs & Bags [Re: oldsoldier]
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego
Martin you might look into Fireline gear.try
www.thielsen.net or www.firecache.com That will give you a good Idea of what is out there. The Hotline pack is the one I use. The bottom part for most of my Basic gear with room left over for addins, and the top part for longer deration problems (my BOB)

#86900 - 02/28/07 03:23 AM Re: Thoughts on Packs & Bags [Re: big_al]
duckear Offline
Addict

Kifaru

#86912 - 02/28/07 05:15 AM Re: Thoughts on Packs & Bags [Re: duckear]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
I have several small to medium size Sealline dry bags that I use inside my primary packs. I have rain flys for my packs that get used for backpacking/climbing/etc but I use the Sealline bags when I have more than rain to be concerned with.

#87084 - 03/02/07 01:18 AM Re: Thoughts on Packs & Bags [Re: 7point82]
Jess Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
I use a Kelty (www.kelty.com) multi-day internal frame pack for my bug out bag (BOB). It holds 2800 cubic inches, has a 2 liter hydration pack, and has an exterior shovel pocket and loop that can hold an ax, walking stick, or my rifle--although I don't ever use it for that because it bumps me on the bum when I walk shocked

It has some mesh pockets on the side that I stick my ditch kit in.

I adore it.

#87086 - 03/02/07 01:24 AM Re: Thoughts on Packs & Bags [Re: Susan]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I have sprayed my good ole M-65 field jacket with Scotchguard, and am not really impressed with it. Leaves a funny odor, and I didn't notice any big difference in water repelancy (is that a word?)...

#88452 - 03/15/07 05:37 PM Re: Thoughts on Packs & Bags [Re: MartinFocazio]
VeracityGear Offline

Loc: MD,USA
REI - I feel makes the best bag for the bang. Much like you, I have gone through plenty of bags, and the ones that offer the most room and compartments are made to last for that day.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 567 Guests and 69 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.