Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#88353 - 03/14/07 07:36 PM Fire Piston (Doug)
sirnite99 Offline
stranger

I couldn't find where these had ever been discussed on this forum before, but as a certified gadget-freak, I thought they looked way cool and very useful. I would be curious as to what Doug and anyone else thinks of them. Any thoughts?

http://www.firepistons.com/

#88363 - 03/14/07 09:53 PM Re: Fire Piston (Doug) [Re: sirnite99]
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, Washington
We had a discussion long ago here about firepistons. One of the fellows worked so well it either nearly burned down the house or his dog…cannot quite remember, but it is what prompted me to order one from Jeff Wagner at Wilderness Solutions.

This is it:

It has a tinder cavity in the handle:

And a wooden ring that allowed me to add a kangaroo braid neck cord.

These are real fun fire tools. I now have 3 of them and enjoy using them. They work very well with tinder fungus and are always interesting to any onlookers. Tinder and kindling prep is all important with these as it is with traditional flint and steel techniques. A fun and useful tool but not my first choice for firemaking.

#88383 - 03/15/07 02:32 AM Re: Fire Piston (Doug) [Re: sirnite99]
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego
don't get them wet and let the wood swell. Sorry, but Im a PJ and cotton ball man myself, from there I can use flint, matches or even a frezenel lens. And no I have not tryed it.

#88398 - 03/15/07 04:28 AM Re: Fire Piston (Doug) [Re: sirnite99]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

There are some very cool and really beautiful ones offered these days. Fun to play with, interesting from both a historical perspective and for demonstrating various physical principles, but IMO not a **practical** solution to firemaking in a real emergency.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#88414 - 03/15/07 06:08 AM Re: Fire Piston (Doug) [Re: Schwert]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

A personal acquaintance in the 'primative movement' made the mistake of attracting the attention of my city police force. Would anyone hazard what a fire piston with funny organics inside looks like? They are everything Randy (you have to many nice toys there from my Starbucks Vente Americano dollars guy) and Doug posted. But the one gift all anthropologists tell me indigenous, traditional people with little contact appreciate most are contemporary firemaking devises; bic lighters and magnesium bars!These people know to well the advantages of a quickly ignited fire, their equivelent to a microwave dinner when you stagger in at 5:45 P.M. monday evening.

#88424 - 03/15/07 12:48 PM Re: Fire Piston (Doug) [Re: sirnite99]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I haven't played with one yet, but I've looked at them. For a serious tool, at this point, you should be able to avoid the wooden ones (and not a bad idea when with people who might think it is something else- check the archives for the last time we had this discussion).

At my favorite survial gear place online, I found these:
Economy model
aluminum and lexan
Way cool pen size with ferro rod

I'm thinking some tax money might go for one of those latter ones.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#88470 - 03/15/07 08:21 PM Re: Fire Piston (Doug) [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Modern firemaking equipment might be mana from heaven for indigenous peoples but, and it's a BIG but, they are very expensive in terms of their income. It's also a very bad idea for them to become reliant on tools that might "go away" with no warning. It's something that Ray Mears has major issues with. With excellent reason.

I have to disagree with Doug about use in a real emergency. Fire Pistons have been around for a very long time. It's a simple case of practice, practice, practice.

#88472 - 03/15/07 09:00 PM Re: Fire Piston (Doug) [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

I would absolutely not avoid wood firepistons as they are very smooth and work exceptionally well. I live where it is damp enough and these simply do not have any issues with swelling. Here are my others made by Darrel Aune.

This one a handdrill version with bone ember pick.

A better look at the pick:

The O-ring version, a simpler version to maintain but not quite as fun.

And the family with the two from Darrel and the one from Jeff.

I have the best luck using tinder fungus to make an ember and then transferring it to a piece of char for my cedar tinder nest.

While I do not carry these as my first choice for an essential fire, I do carry and use for the absolute fun and amazement of making a fire by compression.

The new shirt pocket version with firesteel looks sort of interesting too. I may have to add one of those. I also have one of the lexan versions but it works much less reliably than my Cocobolo ones.

#88475 - 03/15/07 09:15 PM Re: Fire Piston (Doug) [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
Fire pistons and (real) flint & steel seem like perfect, everlasting fire producers until you realize that they last only as long as the very special tinder does.

Sure, you can carry a large supply of tinder fungus for your fire piston, but then why not just carry a BIC lighter, matches and a ferro rod?

On the other hand it is good to *know* about fire pistons, bow drills, flint & steel, etc. because you can at least try to make them if you are caught out there with nothing at all.

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#88478 - 03/15/07 10:07 PM Re: Fire Piston (Doug) [Re: thseng]
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

I think that the best thing about using firepistons, flint and steel, fire drills, handdrills, and firesteels is that one learns rapidly that the spark or the coal is only the beginning. Without a proper tinder and kindling you will not get a fire.

Most novice match and BIC users fail to do adequate fire prep and never learn how to prepare a proper fire set when the conditions are a bit less than ideal.

Char, tinder fungus, seed heads, bark nests, bark scrapings and all the other things used with the more "primative" methods teach fire prep well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 517 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Today at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.