Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#88186 - 03/13/07 02:09 AM Re: Multi-tools [Re: Virginia_Mark]
stealthedc Offline

Loc: Durham NC
I EDC a LM Blast and LM Micra. Love them both. I too, got the Blast/C301 combo at Walmart clearance ($24.95) recently and have been using all three on a daily basis. Knife - well, you know. Micra - tweezers, mini screwdrivers. Blast - Pliers, wire cutter and screwdrivers. I too, do not use the blade of the Blast as I figure it is a ready to go sharp blade as a back up to my folder. And I like the fact that the tools on the Blast lock. Some of us cannot affort the high priced tools mentioned here, and while they may be superior (directly correlating to price and features) the Blast is indeed a workhorse that will take a beating.

#88195 - 03/13/07 03:50 AM Re: Multi-tools [Re: Virginia_Mark]
terry13111 Offline

I wear my LM new Wave everywhere I go. I really love this tool. But if I was to change anything, I would replace the tiny bit driver with a good awl, and make the scissors bigger. I modified the sheath and carry a small sewing kit and a flint and tinder along with it. I am currently looking for a sharpener to fit in there as well.

#88198 - 03/13/07 04:20 AM Re: Multi-tools [Re: terry13111]
MrBadger Offline
journeyman

I too use the LM Wave (old style) and it has served me well. If I don't think I'm going to need the capabilities of the pliers, I'll pack a LM Micra.

When the Wave finaly dies I'll likely get a Vic Swisstool Spirit while the LM goes back to the factory for repair. If I like the Vic, the fixed/replaced LM will go in the car kit.

I also really like the Leatherman Juice series. I find it's a happy medium between the capabilities of a multi tool and the smaller size of a Swiss Army Knife. I just bought a few Juice S2's on clearance at Target for $10 to give as gifts.

#88200 - 03/13/07 04:27 AM Re: Multi-tools [Re: oldsoldier]
jmarkantes Offline

Loc: Portland, OR, USA
At the risk of sounding "Me Too!", damn that Gerber. I have the same one in the car somewhere, probably had it around for... heck I can't remember. Over 15 years probably. I pull it out every once in a while and think 'hey this was nice, I should put it back to use'. Then within a day or so when I use it, that sob pinches the hell out of my palm. Again. This happens while I'm using it and thinking "remember now, this thing can pinch the palm if you hold it wr-" Ow!

Back to the Leatherman Wave. That's usually floating around nearby, with a squirt p4 on the keychain. I dig it.

J

#88203 - 03/13/07 05:00 AM Re: Multi-tools [Re: Virginia_Mark]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
Originally Posted By: Run2The9
After listening to Les Stroud tell us how he never goes anywhere without "a good multi-tool"; I decided I probably should pick one up. I got to looking at a few brands, mainley the Gerber and the Leatherman's. After narrowing it down to a few models, I decieded to go with the Leatherman "Blast". It seemed to be the best blend of features (that I would need) vs. weight. At 6.9 Oz, it has most of the stuff I think you would need, and is 2oz less than the "Wave", and 5oz less than the "Surge".
I have been wearing it on my off hip and I forget it's even there.

What Multi-tools are you guys wearing / using?
Here's a pic of the "Blast"

Looks like old Blast lost a bit of weight there.

#88204 - 03/13/07 05:08 AM Re: Multi-tools [Re: aloha]
leemann Offline
Soylent Green
Addict

Loc: At the soylent green plant.
super tools have 2 of them and like them tons also the original Leatherman tool and a Gerber.

Lee
http://datacore.sciflicks.com/soylent_green/sounds/soylent_green_people.wav
RIP OBG

#88208 - 03/13/07 06:30 AM Re: Multi-tools [Re: leemann]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
I have a Leatherman Charge Ti with the clip that I usually carry.

I also carry a Squirt P4 occasionally.

Finally, I bought a couple of those Blasts packages at Walmart when they were on clearance. So, I keep them in vehicles and around the house.

I've got a bunch of tools from all the major brands (L-man, V-Nox, Gerber, Sog, Spyderco, ect) and I've carried them all at one time or another, but Leatherman just seems to make the models with the best tool selection for me.

#88221 - 03/13/07 01:48 PM Re: Multi-tools [Re: Virginia_Mark]
norad45 Offline
Veteran

I pocket carry a Leatherman KF4 Juice (now discontinued.) At 5.5 oz. it's about midway between the Wave and the Squirt.

#88222 - 03/13/07 02:03 PM Re: Multi-tools [Re: norad45]
Themalemutekid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
I carry a Gerber Recoil Auto-Plier i like it because it doesn't weigh much, & all the tools lock..it's never let me down.

#88287 - 03/14/07 01:35 AM Re: Multi-tools [Re: Themalemutekid]
DrmstrSpoodle Offline

Isn't that the model with the push-button pliers that pop out, and how long have you had it? The locking button broke on mine after about a few months of use, and then the side parts didn't lock anymore. THEN the bolt the tools are held on with slowly started to screw off. If I were you, I'd ditch the Auto-Recoil and get something else, at least a Leatherman...

Just trying to throw my experiences with a caveat out there...

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 271 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Today at 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.