Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#92814 - 04/28/07 02:18 PM Re: Mistakes on Man Vs. Wild -- Drinking water [Re: paramedicpete]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
Much of the problem with "tummy bugs" when abroad is due to not being used to the local germs. You don't have the right intestinal flora, the right antibodies etc. You can eat the same food as the natives and you'll get sick and they won't.

There are limits, though. When people like Oxfam campaign for water in 3rd world countries, they are often campaigning for clean water. Water from a well is drinkable because it has, in effect, been filtered by passing though rocks on its way to the water table.

#92919 - 04/29/07 06:58 PM Re: Mistakes on Man Vs. Wild -- Drinking water [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
There are various forms of Giardia that don't affect us, but G. Lamblia not only affects us, but also beavers ("Beaver fever"), domestic dogs, cats, cattle and sheep.

The old mountain men could have been affected with it, and attributed it to bad food, etc.

Also, the simple density levels of all the affected animals (including us) have risen exponentially into most areas that used to be fairly pristine. Where was the last place you went that you considered relative "wilderness" and didn't find human debris? And human waste?

Sue

#93262 - 05/02/07 04:18 AM Re: Mistakes on Man Vs. Wild -- Drinking water [Re: teacher]
Spiritwalker Offline

I was infected with Giardia once (source unknown but I suspect a glass of water at a truckstop in PA) and waited a month before going in to see a doctor. The first two or three days were constant trips to the bathroom about every hour or so, although for some reason I only needed to get up once per night while sleeping. After that it seemed to level off and although my stools remained loose to very loose, one or two sessions on the throne per day were all I needed.

The doctor that tested and then treated me tried to give me a stern lecture about how people die from waiting so long before coming in for examinations when they have problems. I just asked him if, in his expert medical opinion after examining me, he thought I was in any danger of kicking the bucket in the next few days. He got mad at me! lol

I suspect that people in the past were infected with lots of stuff but just accepted it as part of living, adjusted accordingly and went on with their lives.

Edited by Spiritwalker (05/02/07 04:18 AM)

#93616 - 05/04/07 12:19 PM Re: Mistakes on Man Vs. Wild -- Drinking water [Re: cedfire]
OddArne Offline
stranger

I like his show. I wouldn`t take the chances he does, but there are a still a lot of useful tips, I think.

#93708 - 05/05/07 07:16 AM Re: Mistakes on Man Vs. Wild -- Drinking water [Re: OddArne]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
It's a bit of a healthy profanation there, in my opinion. Many of those tips could do much better for survival by simply doubling the efforts, but that's not mentioned. In other words, most of the tips are kind of a lazy type. I do like the show anyway - very realistic, but I'd change "Survivorman" to "Survivorcaveman".

By the way, I saw another show, he's made probably earlier: Off The Grid. Same trend. The modular home parts delivery by helicopter was more than spectacular.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 250 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.