Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#87217 - 03/03/07 04:52 AM Re: Survival Reference Info - brainstorming [Re: camerono]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
Or, find an older pilots survival scarf-the ones with a map on one side, & survival infor on the other.
Blackeagle, that was the only name of a cactus that I know smile. Well, I know prickly pears, but I know you can eat those. Didnt know about the saguaro though. And, I had no idea poison ivy could be found there. I was under the assumption it was an east coast plant. I learned something new!

#87221 - 03/03/07 05:42 AM Re: Survival Reference Info - brainstorming [Re: oldsoldier]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
We have a lot of poison ivy's cousin, poison oak, out here in the wild west...

#87225 - 03/03/07 07:00 AM Re: Survival Reference Info - brainstorming [Re: KenK]
ducktapeguy Offline
Enthusiast

The Boy scout Handbook is a great source for info, it has pretty much all the basic info needed. The older ones are definitely better though, I have ones from the 5th (1950's), 6th(1960's) , 9th (1980's), and 11th editions(2000+), I think anything from the 9th edition and earlier have lot more useful information. The later version seem to eliminate a lot of older, but essential information such as plant and animal identification and firemaking skills, in exchange for bigger color pictures and a safer "environmentally friendly", attitude.

#87243 - 03/03/07 04:54 PM Re: Survival Reference Info - brainstorming [Re: oldsoldier]
DesertFox Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York, NY
Saguaro and barrel cacti are both excellent sources of water in a desert survival situation. But don't try it for kicks, for two reasons.
1. They taste REALLY bad.
2. It's illegal (in Arizona anyway) to destroy the Saguaro. They take 75 years or so to mature. Too many a**holes were using them for target practice.

#87252 - 03/03/07 09:03 PM Re: Survival Reference Info - brainstorming [Re: ducttape]
Jess Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Concealed Carry Weapon (CCW) License Reciprocity State By State:

http://www.ccrkba.org/reciprocity.html

#87259 - 03/03/07 11:30 PM Re: Survival Reference Info - brainstorming [Re: Jess]
gatormba Offline

Loc: Alabama
Personally for me, in a TRUE survival situation CCW reciprocity is the last thing I am going to be concerned with.

#87277 - 03/04/07 03:19 AM Re: Survival Reference Info - brainstorming [Re: gatormba]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"Personally for me, in a TRUE survival situation CCW reciprocity is the last thing I am going to be concerned with."

Like a friend of mine says, "I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6".

Sue

#87293 - 03/04/07 06:34 AM Re: Survival Reference Info - brainstorming [Re: falcon5000]
mootz Offline
Stranger

Loc: Idaho
This thread has prompted me to start a running tally that I could put into a computer folder in order to printout and put into my wife's, children (when they get to that age) and certainly into my own vehicle(s). Things like using a watch (with hands) to indicate direction, using the stars for direction, and the basic information that I normally take for granted, would be shared.

Just another "preparation" project my wife would eyeball me and think, "He's paranoid!"

#87299 - 03/04/07 01:22 PM Re: Survival Reference Info - brainstorming [Re: thseng]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
A few references for you to copy/learn info from:

"The Mariners Pocket Companion" from the Naval Institute Press
An annual calendar with significant survival info in the front of the book. Also list significant dates in US Naval history.

"The Boy Scout Handbook"
It lists sections on basic firemaking, camping, survival, activities, basic tracking, etc.

"The Field Hunter's Guide"
Shows photos, tracks, and discriptions of the various animals indigenous to North America.

"United States Coastal Pilots","USCG Tide Tables", "USCG Tidal Current Tables", "USCG Light Lists"
These US government publications provide descriptions of the areas adjacent to Navigable waterways, port facilities, Hypothermia charts, and a host of other information that applies in general as well as in the maritime environment.

"Nuclear War Survival Skills" by Kearney
Available on the internet, free. Just put it into a search engine and it will come right up. I feel, That Chapter 4 - Evacuation is the most applicable and valuable assets to have in the home. How to do an emergency bugout in 2 hrs time.

"Dare to Prepare" by Holly Deyo. Website: standeyo.com "Prudent Places" by Stan and Holly Deyo
Very well researched and written advice on preparation for manmade & natural disasters. "Prudent Places" lists the various hazards associated with specific areas/cities which in turn, tells one what realistic possibilities exists that pose a threat to you.

That's all I can remember off of the top of my head (I am @ work)

#87381 - 03/05/07 11:53 AM Re: Survival Reference Info - brainstorming [Re: thseng]
Greg Offline
newbie member

Loc: Washington State, U.S.A.
Hmmm...too bad we don't have a "noted survival author"
kicking around. These are some great little bits of
useful info.

I'd certainly buy a copy of a survival oriented pocket ref.
Or a packet of PSK sized cards. I have a fresnel lens, already.
smile

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 242 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hoover Stew
by brandtb
Yesterday at 03:45 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.