OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Man, and he warns me about no wise crack answers! smile smile smile

#87227 - 03/03/07 01:35 PM Re: Daisy Chain [Re: big_al]
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
I agree with the line of comments - they are a fairly useless archaic feature, especially on packs that have a single vertical row. Parallel rows can come in handy on odd occasions, such as lashing a filthy wet ground cloth to the outside, but there are other ways to skin that cat if no chains are present.

One of my packs intentionally has zero outside pockets (Kelty Slick Rock). Sometimes I find it useful to attach a daypack that is hydration bladder compatible to the daisy chains, but I don't usually carry the full bladder in the day pack when it is attached to the main pack because of weight placement.

You may find the loops a bit more useful if you lace a paracord through them much like a boot lacing - like you see done in elastic cord on many Camel Bak packs. But start the lacing at the bottom and run it up. Load the pack out to full volume first, lace it bottom-to-top, then use the lacing to stow something like a bulky overgarment (parks, perhaps). Trim the ends to that length and carefully fuse ends (keep flame away from pack). Add a cordlock if desired and then knot the two ends together with an overhand knot or a figure 8 knot.

The lacing won't interfere with any other uses of the daisy chains and occasionally comes in useful. Worst case you have an extra length of paracord that you're unlikely to lose or misplace. Figure out how you prefer to stow the excess cord ends to suit yourself.

I believe I would find ALICE or MOLIE attachments more useful if they were thoughtfully placed - simply covering panels with them adds unnecessary weight.

If you want TOTALLY useless, as mentioned previously: Ice Axe Loops. I use ice axes. I've used ice axes for 35 years. I have NEVER used an ice axe loop to stow an axe, even temporarily. [Insert anecdote about clinging to a vertical wall by crampon points and on hammer while screwing in an ice piton with other hand - I have no such stories].

As for attaching climbing gear to daisy chains - I've done that occasionally and every time have been very dissatisfied - YMMV.

I DO carry 4 non-locking 'biners tightly clipped into the loops because they are handy for a variety of uses (bear bags, anyone?) and are readily available on the outside of the pack. Run each thru two loops spaced far enough apart to make them lie flat against the pack and rotate the gates to the inside, open end down. "Toy" 'biners are lighter and cheaper, can serve some of the same uses on the trail, and fit well on daypacks.

My 2 cents.

Tom

#87249 - 03/03/07 08:26 PM Re: Daisy Chain [Re: AyersTG]
a_m Offline

Loc: Ottawa
Originally Posted By: AyersTG
If you want TOTALLY useless, as mentioned previously: Ice Axe Loops. I use ice axes. I've used ice axes for 35 years. I have NEVER used an ice axe loop to stow an axe, even temporarily. [Insert anecdote about clinging to a vertical wall by crampon points and on hammer while screwing in an ice piton with other hand - I have no such stories].

Actually, I've found that those are rather nice for holding collapsible trekking poles.

Alex

#87296 - 03/04/07 08:01 AM Re: Daisy Chain [Re: AyersTG]
Seeker890 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Central Ohio
They don't seem to have a clear function. I have used them to carry small carbiners used to hoist the "bear bag". They don't get lost down in my pack that way, and anyone in my group can find them. I have used them to hang my laundry from to let them air dry while walking on the trail. A double row would have been more functional. That way I could strap longer items such as my ground pad or a dripping ground cloth easier to the outside.

#87353 - 03/04/07 10:45 PM Re: Daisy Chain [Re: big_al]
samhain Offline
Addict

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I am so glad you asked that question.

I've been wondering what those little boogers were for a long time and never thought to ask.

(Never asked because never had a use for them).

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 285 Guests and 61 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.