Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#87046 - 03/01/07 04:03 PM Soundoff: New Season "Jericho" Duh Moments
stealthedc Offline

Loc: Durham NC
Two episodes into the new season. I have to admit that I am addicted to the show but for the most part find it ridiculous.

Here goes mine:

Last episode:

1. Somewhre around 12 weeks after the bombs, Mr Prepper (ada Robert Hawkins) has used all of his toothpaste!

#87057 - 03/01/07 06:48 PM Re: Soundoff: New Season "Jericho" Duh Moments [Re: stealthedc]
garland Offline

Loc: harrisburg, pa
I was just talking about this in the break room. I can't stand the hollywood-ism of this show. From drinking iodine (poisonous) when he should be taking potassium iodide to the "1 day fallout" .. what a joke. Most fallout will stay at significant levels for at least 2 weeks.... to staying in a mine; which is hazardous as all get out considering their poor construction and the fact that a good blast wave would collapse the entire thing... or the 'oh there's a mushroom cloud' .. but where's the flashbulb of god? You'd see that first, for sure.

I can go on and on. Good story about a nuclear whodunit but really.... some of the stuff they present is so misleading it's not even funny.
Facebook: http://on.fb.me/foPFgx

#87069 - 03/01/07 10:05 PM Re: Soundoff: New Season "Jericho" Duh Moments [Re: stealthedc]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I agree with Garland about the "Hollywood-ism effects" being misleading. I notice though, that for the first time ever, a Nuclear War is being shown as survivable.
Judging from various things I've been overhearing, this and the Katrina/Rita debacle have awaken some souls that they can and should do more to protect themselves against a wide range of problems. Starting with Earthquakes and running the gammet of Hurricanes, Tornadoes, and Ice Storms, and everything in between that affects their local area of habitation.

I'm still wondering who or what is actually behind this show being broadcast.

#87072 - 03/01/07 10:36 PM Re: Soundoff: New Season "Jericho" Duh Moments [Re: wildman800]
Blackeagle Offline

Loc: Salt Lake City, UT
Originally Posted By: wildman800
I notice though, that for the first time ever, a Nuclear War is being shown as survivable.

This isn't really the first time nuclear war has been shown to be survivable. Take a look at The Day After or Threads for instance.

#87073 - 03/01/07 10:51 PM Re: Soundoff: New Season "Jericho" Duh Moments [Re: stealthedc]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
"They don't really hang people for stealing do they?"

No, they have a jail with three hots and a cot after a speedy trial by jury of your peers. laugh

The show's definitely not going to win any awards for realism, but I still find it fun to watch while I'm waiting for "Lost" to come on. LOL

#87088 - 03/02/07 01:35 AM Re: Soundoff: New Season "Jericho" Duh Moments [Re: Nicodemus]
91gdub Offline

Loc: South Jersey (the 51st state)
I've been watching it and will continue to.
As for actual survival skills being shown, some seem to be pretty sketchy and some others non-realistic. I'm more into the "Well, if that had happend to me I would have done _____" mode while I watch.
If at the end of the day it wakes up a few folks and gets them thinking about the what if them it's worthwhile.

#87096 - 03/02/07 02:33 AM Re: Soundoff: New Season "Jericho" Duh Moments [Re: Blackeagle]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I stand corrected! There is a difference though in how people are able to cope in the Jericho scenario.

#87133 - 03/02/07 03:07 PM Re: Soundoff: New Season "Jericho" Duh Moments
garland Offline

Loc: harrisburg, pa
That's the thing though. They're showing it's survivable but they're nowhere NEAR how bad it would be. You'd think they could spend a fraction of an actors salary on hiring AN EXPERT.

They say truth is stranger than fiction... that's because the people who sometimes write fiction usually don't know what the **** they are talking about!

I can just imagine the droves of sheople drinking iodine and getting sick or standing outside in radioactive fallout thinking "oh it's safe, it's been 24 hours"

Facebook: http://on.fb.me/foPFgx

#87142 - 03/02/07 04:58 PM Re: Soundoff: New Season "Jericho" Duh Moments [Re: wildman800]
infrared Offline

Small town,large city,rural location after collapse of central government(and the creation of six new ones-along with who knows how many other independents)water,uncontaminated water would be at a premium. You want a Duh moment-did you notice everyone looks clean and showered. I would think safe water to drink would be hard enough,let alone water to shower with and on top of that clean clothes.Then again I like the show and maybe they all smell and we just don't hear about it-like on 24 where no one goes to the restroom but you assume that they do during parts that you don't see.Good clean fun.

#87164 - 03/02/07 06:52 PM Re: Soundoff: New Season "Jericho" Duh Moments [Re: Blackeagle]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
I don't know about movies or TV shows. But Alas! Babylon was written about survivors of a full scale nuclear war between the US and the USSR. Good book.

#87309 - 03/04/07 03:09 PM Re: Soundoff: New Season "Jericho" Duh Moments [Re: AROTC]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Another very good informational book is: "Pulling Through" by Dean Ing.

#87513 - 03/06/07 03:14 PM Re: Soundoff: New Season "Jericho" Duh Moments [Re: stealthedc]
Micah513 Offline

Loc: Springfield, MO
I also am addicted & I think the show is doing a good job of bringing up subjects & problems, but agree that a lot of things seem out of whack, but it is TV.

He didn't grab enough toothpaste, but keep in mind that he knew how to make a homemade version. Survivalism is not just having a massive stockpile (though that is a great 1st step) - being able to adapt to your environment & making use of what you have to achieve your goals - that is true survivalism, IMO.

On the nuclear fallout the only conclusion I could come to would be that the radiation must have drifted north or south of them. Before the storm their radiation detectors weren't getting any readings. And right after the storm passed it also wasn't getting a reading. Even though they never addressed it properly (that I caught) in the show the conclusion I came to was that they didn't get any fallout. I agree that they did a poor job on this subject of fulling addressing it, but tried to make sense of it.

I like the fact that they are trying to solve the problem of electricty by getting the local existing windmills up & running, but they should have had crews of men cutting & hauling firewood two months earlier. All the elderly & families with young kids should have been moved to houses that were set up with wood burning stoves.

#87715 - 03/08/07 01:55 AM Re: Soundoff: New Season "Jericho" Duh Moments [Re: stealthedc]
Micah513 Offline

The episode isn't even over yet & I have been laughing the whole show. They keep bringing up great survival situtations, but just fail to deliver on what the correct response should be. However, it is how the unprepared & unknowledgeable would respond in real life.

#87716 - 03/08/07 02:14 AM Re: Soundoff: New Season "Jericho" Duh Moments [Re: stealthedc]
stealthedc Offline

Outlaw pirates only 5 miles outside of Jericho, with no other immediate cities around? How are they keeping that nice tricked out black truck running? And if The truck jake was in only had 1/2 a tank of gas, how did they have a gas can with them spilling gasoline? And why is everyone burning 50 million candles in their homes at once? and it is freezing cold yet a robe open half way down your chest after a "luke-cold" bath is enough to keep you cold (edit - read "warm") during a freezing snowstorm?

Oh yeah, did I say I really enjoy watching the show? That must be my "duh" moment...

Edited by stealthedc (03/08/07 02:16 AM)

#87748 - 03/08/07 02:22 PM Re: Soundoff: New Season "Jericho" Duh Moments [Re: stealthedc]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
Last night I got a laugh out of:

"The ground is sucking the heat right out of him..." (paraphrased)
and
"We need to start a fire, but can't because of the gasoline on the ground..." (paraphrased)

I'm looking at all the fine grass around them wondering why there's no attempt to put a mat of grass underneath Jake and then start piling more on top of him. I would have loved it if Mom and Dad showed up after being retrieved by Mimi and found a weird pile of hay next to the truck with Jake and Stanley's voices coming from within.

People immediately think "fire" when they need to get warm, and forget all about trying to trap the heat that's already there with insulation.

Granted, that was probably a more realistic portrayal of the way most people might react in such a situation, and so I was more frustrated with realism than the lack thereof for once. laugh

Quote:
And why is everyone burning 50 million candles in their homes at once?

I was laughing at this as well. Apparently, besides a salt mine, Jericho is also noted for its scented candle mine. LOL

Still, I was entertained... On many levels...

#87751 - 03/08/07 02:59 PM Re: Soundoff: New Season "Jericho" Duh Moments [Re: Nicodemus]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
Wel, when Jake was back at home, still freezing, & the woman stated "thats because you still have hypothermia". Now, that means, of course, you cannot generate your own body heat. So, why wasnt someone cuddled up next to him? And, for hypothermia, his speech seemed OK.
The grass, thats the first thing I thought of too. Put alot of it under him, then start stuff the clothes. I just started watching the show, so, I'm not familiar with the character names yet.

#87776 - 03/08/07 05:21 PM Re: Soundoff: New Season "Jericho" Duh Moments [Re: oldsoldier]
Micah513 Offline

You guys nailed it. Great points.

In the show the farmer dude did get some straw & put it under Jake, but then just stopped. At this point I was stunned & wanted to scream at the TV, then I thought - "yeah that is what a PHRASECENSOREDPOSTERSHOULDKNOWBETTER. would do"

Also - so were supposed to believe that people living in South Dakota would try to walk to TEXAS in the dead of winter? And that they would only have small thin blankets with them? maybe that would happen, but I gotta think people in that state are going to have some serious winter gear on themselves for at least a 1/3 of the year to begin with and would never need to abandon their homes. Maybe consolidate many people into one home with a woodstove, but never start hiking.

#87794 - 03/08/07 07:55 PM Re: Soundoff: New Season "Jericho" Duh Moments [Re: stealthedc]
stealthedc Offline

I live in the middle of North Carolina and we are known (I guess) for fairly short and mild winters. This year, for example, we have probably had a grand total of a "trace" amount of snow!

My point is this - When I was tight on money in college living in a trailer, I would run the heater 20 minutes in the morning when I got up and 20 minutes at night just before going to bed. And the whole time, I would have on like 3 layers of clothing inside the house as well as 2 wool hats. And this is a place whre there is generally no snow and If it is cold one day it could be sunny and warm the next.

And they are all just so comfy there in Jericho!

I too was immediately thinking of making insulation out of the tall dead grass all around, but that was not done...

Jake is trapped under the truck and had only minor injuries while the farmer guy (forgot his name) was knocked out for some time and broke his leg. Interesting...

#87986 - 03/11/07 12:56 AM Why oh why did they wreck the Jeep? [Re: stealthedc]
91gdub Offline

Loc: South Jersey (the 51st state)
OK, I like the show I'll admit it. Not so much for the survival information (or lack thereof) but the whole story seems to work for me. Most of the time my Darling Bride and I watch this together and I just sit there pointing out the dumb stuff that they do.
On a side note I'm kind of a Jeep nut, especially the old "Full Size" Jeeps. My log in name 91GDub refers to my favorite Jeep my 1991 Grand Wagoneer.
<rant on>As we were watching this week's show my Darling Bride sat quietly as I drooled over that Jeep pick-up truck. It was in excellent condition, I would LOVE to have that truck.
First they had the nerve to constantly crash into the tailgate (those things are harder to find than hen's teeth in very good condition) then they rolled it!!!!
I'm still spitting mad! <rant off>
But I'll keep watching anyway.

Edited by 91gdub (03/11/07 12:57 AM)

#88317 - 03/14/07 01:29 PM Re: Soundoff: New Season "Jericho" Duh Moments [Re: stealthedc]
el_diabl0 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: NE Ohio
I cant believe they let all the bad guys off with some kind of warning or agreement not to come into town. They would have been shot.

Also, when the mercenaries drove up to the townsfolk that were defending the bridge, they got within about 15 feet and jumped out of their humvees without taking cover or worrying about all the guns that were trained on them.

#88354 - 03/14/07 07:38 PM Re: Soundoff: New Season "Jericho" Duh Moments [Re: el_diabl0]
Micah513 Offline

Originally Posted By: el_diabl0
I cant believe they let all the bad guys off with some kind of warning or agreement not to come into town. They would have been shot.

If I had been making the call I would have blown the whole bridge up while the bad guys were parked on it.

The old mayor's argument was they are going to need the bridge in the future so he didn't want to blow the whole thing up. So if that is your reason then I think they should have hidden those explosives just on the other side of the bridge inside some old cars. When the bad guys went to try move it out of the way blow them to bits. In a real TEOTWAWKI those guys would just come back later when your guard is down. Plus by letting them go you just shoved your problem off onto other less armed towns.

#88366 - 03/14/07 11:21 PM Re: Soundoff: New Season "Jericho" Duh Moments [Re: stealthedc]
capsu78 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Chicagoland IL
They always seem to be burning a dozen candles, in addition to a couple of battery lamps.
Twoo weeks ago I see many now have oil lamps... guess the local Walmart is still open.

#88387 - 03/15/07 03:17 AM Re: Soundoff: New Season "Jericho" Duh Moments [Re: stealthedc]
stealthedc Offline

I liked today's show becaue of the very emotional "to not be seen" thread over on the other board. Not once on that thread does it talk about the capacity for law enforcement/military to be corrupt, impersonators or any other type wolf in sheeps clothing. At any rate, let's stay on track and not go there. Just seemed that that discussion over the past couple of days has made tonights show all the more interesting...

Tonight I have two minor complaints:

1. If pseudo marine gang had been going from town to town, how come they haven't been aquiring guns and ammo along the way?

2. It is now several weeks after TEOTWAWKI and not only do the people still appear to be in perfect hygene with nicely laundered and pressed clothes, but there is barely any trash on the streets. Public Works in Jericho must be the leanest, meanest and most dedicated group of people around!

#88456 - 03/15/07 06:05 PM Re: Soundoff: New Season "Jericho" Duh Moments [Re: stealthedc]
stealthedc Offline

I do have a couple more gripes about the show that I thought of driving to work today.

1. Why is it that there are only about 10 individuals in all of Jericho that are rational, freethinking, problemsolving and smart? Everybody else is just so stupid that nobody could figure out that they were not marines. Jericho is a small, gun-friendly, rural, farming town and I am sure a number of the residents would have been Marines at one point. It just strikes me funny how everyone but the main characters is so incredibly stupid.

2. They ex-mayor said that they gave the gang enough food to make it a few days down the road, yet the gang left walking with nothing but the clothes on their backs, and I am sure they do not have lifeboat rations stuffed in their BDUs.

3. Keep in mind that it is the middle of winter and on other episodes, couples have died of hypothermia in their houses under blankets in the fall, and the gang appeared to take no shelter/warmth with them as they happily left town at the wishes of the Jericho leadership.

4. They took a tank off of the military instead of a humvee?

5. Where did the caravan of people leaving Jericho in cars get all that fuel from more than 12 weeks after the bombs?

Well, thats all for now...

#88459 - 03/15/07 06:38 PM Re: Soundoff: New Season "Jericho" Duh Moments [Re: stealthedc]
gatormba Offline

Loc: Alabama
Originally Posted By: stealthedc

1. Why is it that there are only about 10 individuals in all of Jericho that are rational, freethinking, problemsolving and smart? Everybody else is just so stupid that nobody could figure out that they were not marines. Jericho is a small, gun-friendly, rural, farming town and I am sure a number of the residents would have been Marines at one point. It just strikes me funny how everyone but the main characters is so incredibly stupid.

I live in a small, gun-friendly, rural, mining town and as sad as it is to say this is one aspect of the show that they got right. In fact I think it holds true for just about any town/city, of any size, anywhere in the US. When you are in a natural disaster or SHTF situation the vast majority of the population are going to very quickly settle into the PHRASECENSOREDPOSTERSHOULDKNOWBETTER./follower mode and only a very small percentage of the total population in any given area are going to step up and rise to take on leadership roles. We can criticize the show all we want but I honestly think they got this aspect of it right.

#88460 - 03/15/07 06:51 PM Re: Soundoff: New Season "Jericho" Duh Moments [Re: gatormba]
Micah513 Offline

Plus being a TV show it is all written around the main characters. That's the formula that works. Look at LOST. There are 30 or 40 people, but everything revolves around 8 - 10.

I just re-watched the episode online from 2 weeks ago where people are freezing to death in there homes, but all the trees around the Trading post are GREEN. Some of the trees were evergreens, but some of them weren't. Pretty funny.

I will still keep watching the show though...

#88462 - 03/15/07 06:53 PM Re: Soundoff: New Season "Jericho" Duh Moments [Re: stealthedc]
Micah513 Offline

Originally Posted By: stealthedc
3. Keep in mind that it is the middle of winter and on other episodes, couples have died of hypothermia in their houses under blankets in the fall, and the gang appeared to take no shelter/warmth with them as they happily left town at the wishes of the Jericho leadership.

Maybe this week was an Indian summer? grin

#88526 - 03/16/07 11:27 AM Re: Soundoff: New Season "Jericho" Duh Moments [Re: Micah513]
NeighborBill Offline
Enthusiastic
Enthusiast

Loc: Oklahoma City
"You never know when you might need a tank."

smile

#88546 - 03/16/07 05:46 PM Re: Soundoff: New Season "Jericho" Duh Moments [Re: NeighborBill]
Johno Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Scotland
I sort of lost my way a bit in the last series when I started calculating how much ANFO they would have to make in order to blow up the bridge. They had 3 hours to make more than 500 gallons of the stuff, move it to site and rig the bridge for demolition. Not a hope in hell. Obviously this is my own personal opinion, only ever having to mix ANFO in 50 gallon batches before.

#88547 - 03/16/07 05:46 PM Re: Soundoff: New Season "Jericho" Duh Moments [Re: NeighborBill]
Johno Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Scotland
Originally Posted By: billy.guttery
"You never know when you might need a tank."

smile

You always neeed a tank

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 555 Guests and 34 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.