Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#87309 - 03/04/07 03:09 PM Re: Soundoff: New Season "Jericho" Duh Moments [Re: AROTC]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Another very good informational book is: "Pulling Through" by Dean Ing.

#87513 - 03/06/07 03:14 PM Re: Soundoff: New Season "Jericho" Duh Moments [Re: stealthedc]
Micah513 Offline

Loc: Springfield, MO
I also am addicted & I think the show is doing a good job of bringing up subjects & problems, but agree that a lot of things seem out of whack, but it is TV.

He didn't grab enough toothpaste, but keep in mind that he knew how to make a homemade version. Survivalism is not just having a massive stockpile (though that is a great 1st step) - being able to adapt to your environment & making use of what you have to achieve your goals - that is true survivalism, IMO.

On the nuclear fallout the only conclusion I could come to would be that the radiation must have drifted north or south of them. Before the storm their radiation detectors weren't getting any readings. And right after the storm passed it also wasn't getting a reading. Even though they never addressed it properly (that I caught) in the show the conclusion I came to was that they didn't get any fallout. I agree that they did a poor job on this subject of fulling addressing it, but tried to make sense of it.

I like the fact that they are trying to solve the problem of electricty by getting the local existing windmills up & running, but they should have had crews of men cutting & hauling firewood two months earlier. All the elderly & families with young kids should have been moved to houses that were set up with wood burning stoves.

#87715 - 03/08/07 01:55 AM Re: Soundoff: New Season "Jericho" Duh Moments [Re: stealthedc]
Micah513 Offline

The episode isn't even over yet & I have been laughing the whole show. They keep bringing up great survival situtations, but just fail to deliver on what the correct response should be. However, it is how the unprepared & unknowledgeable would respond in real life.

#87716 - 03/08/07 02:14 AM Re: Soundoff: New Season "Jericho" Duh Moments [Re: stealthedc]
stealthedc Offline

Loc: Durham NC
Outlaw pirates only 5 miles outside of Jericho, with no other immediate cities around? How are they keeping that nice tricked out black truck running? And if The truck jake was in only had 1/2 a tank of gas, how did they have a gas can with them spilling gasoline? And why is everyone burning 50 million candles in their homes at once? and it is freezing cold yet a robe open half way down your chest after a "luke-cold" bath is enough to keep you cold (edit - read "warm") during a freezing snowstorm?

Oh yeah, did I say I really enjoy watching the show? That must be my "duh" moment...

Edited by stealthedc (03/08/07 02:16 AM)

#87748 - 03/08/07 02:22 PM Re: Soundoff: New Season "Jericho" Duh Moments [Re: stealthedc]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
Last night I got a laugh out of:

"The ground is sucking the heat right out of him..." (paraphrased)
and
"We need to start a fire, but can't because of the gasoline on the ground..." (paraphrased)

I'm looking at all the fine grass around them wondering why there's no attempt to put a mat of grass underneath Jake and then start piling more on top of him. I would have loved it if Mom and Dad showed up after being retrieved by Mimi and found a weird pile of hay next to the truck with Jake and Stanley's voices coming from within.

People immediately think "fire" when they need to get warm, and forget all about trying to trap the heat that's already there with insulation.

Granted, that was probably a more realistic portrayal of the way most people might react in such a situation, and so I was more frustrated with realism than the lack thereof for once. laugh

Quote:
And why is everyone burning 50 million candles in their homes at once?

I was laughing at this as well. Apparently, besides a salt mine, Jericho is also noted for its scented candle mine. LOL

Still, I was entertained... On many levels...

#87751 - 03/08/07 02:59 PM Re: Soundoff: New Season "Jericho" Duh Moments [Re: Nicodemus]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
Wel, when Jake was back at home, still freezing, & the woman stated "thats because you still have hypothermia". Now, that means, of course, you cannot generate your own body heat. So, why wasnt someone cuddled up next to him? And, for hypothermia, his speech seemed OK.
The grass, thats the first thing I thought of too. Put alot of it under him, then start stuff the clothes. I just started watching the show, so, I'm not familiar with the character names yet.

#87776 - 03/08/07 05:21 PM Re: Soundoff: New Season "Jericho" Duh Moments [Re: oldsoldier]
Micah513 Offline

You guys nailed it. Great points.

In the show the farmer dude did get some straw & put it under Jake, but then just stopped. At this point I was stunned & wanted to scream at the TV, then I thought - "yeah that is what a PHRASECENSOREDPOSTERSHOULDKNOWBETTER. would do"

Also - so were supposed to believe that people living in South Dakota would try to walk to TEXAS in the dead of winter? And that they would only have small thin blankets with them? maybe that would happen, but I gotta think people in that state are going to have some serious winter gear on themselves for at least a 1/3 of the year to begin with and would never need to abandon their homes. Maybe consolidate many people into one home with a woodstove, but never start hiking.

#87794 - 03/08/07 07:55 PM Re: Soundoff: New Season "Jericho" Duh Moments [Re: stealthedc]
stealthedc Offline

Loc: Durham NC
I live in the middle of North Carolina and we are known (I guess) for fairly short and mild winters. This year, for example, we have probably had a grand total of a "trace" amount of snow!

My point is this - When I was tight on money in college living in a trailer, I would run the heater 20 minutes in the morning when I got up and 20 minutes at night just before going to bed. And the whole time, I would have on like 3 layers of clothing inside the house as well as 2 wool hats. And this is a place whre there is generally no snow and If it is cold one day it could be sunny and warm the next.

And they are all just so comfy there in Jericho!

I too was immediately thinking of making insulation out of the tall dead grass all around, but that was not done...

Jake is trapped under the truck and had only minor injuries while the farmer guy (forgot his name) was knocked out for some time and broke his leg. Interesting...

#87986 - 03/11/07 12:56 AM Why oh why did they wreck the Jeep? [Re: stealthedc]
91gdub Offline

Loc: South Jersey (the 51st state)
OK, I like the show I'll admit it. Not so much for the survival information (or lack thereof) but the whole story seems to work for me. Most of the time my Darling Bride and I watch this together and I just sit there pointing out the dumb stuff that they do.
On a side note I'm kind of a Jeep nut, especially the old "Full Size" Jeeps. My log in name 91GDub refers to my favorite Jeep my 1991 Grand Wagoneer.
<rant on>As we were watching this week's show my Darling Bride sat quietly as I drooled over that Jeep pick-up truck. It was in excellent condition, I would LOVE to have that truck.
First they had the nerve to constantly crash into the tailgate (those things are harder to find than hen's teeth in very good condition) then they rolled it!!!!
I'm still spitting mad! <rant off>
But I'll keep watching anyway.

Edited by 91gdub (03/11/07 12:57 AM)

#88317 - 03/14/07 01:29 PM Re: Soundoff: New Season "Jericho" Duh Moments [Re: stealthedc]
el_diabl0 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: NE Ohio
I cant believe they let all the bad guys off with some kind of warning or agreement not to come into town. They would have been shot.

Also, when the mercenaries drove up to the townsfolk that were defending the bridge, they got within about 15 feet and jumped out of their humvees without taking cover or worrying about all the guns that were trained on them.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 466 Guests and 32 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Today at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.