Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#87046 - 03/01/07 04:03 PM Soundoff: New Season "Jericho" Duh Moments
stealthedc Offline

Loc: Durham NC
Two episodes into the new season. I have to admit that I am addicted to the show but for the most part find it ridiculous.

Here goes mine:

Last episode:

1. Somewhre around 12 weeks after the bombs, Mr Prepper (ada Robert Hawkins) has used all of his toothpaste!

#87057 - 03/01/07 06:48 PM Re: Soundoff: New Season "Jericho" Duh Moments [Re: stealthedc]
garland Offline

Loc: harrisburg, pa
I was just talking about this in the break room. I can't stand the hollywood-ism of this show. From drinking iodine (poisonous) when he should be taking potassium iodide to the "1 day fallout" .. what a joke. Most fallout will stay at significant levels for at least 2 weeks.... to staying in a mine; which is hazardous as all get out considering their poor construction and the fact that a good blast wave would collapse the entire thing... or the 'oh there's a mushroom cloud' .. but where's the flashbulb of god? You'd see that first, for sure.

I can go on and on. Good story about a nuclear whodunit but really.... some of the stuff they present is so misleading it's not even funny.
Facebook: http://on.fb.me/foPFgx

#87069 - 03/01/07 10:05 PM Re: Soundoff: New Season "Jericho" Duh Moments [Re: stealthedc]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I agree with Garland about the "Hollywood-ism effects" being misleading. I notice though, that for the first time ever, a Nuclear War is being shown as survivable.
Judging from various things I've been overhearing, this and the Katrina/Rita debacle have awaken some souls that they can and should do more to protect themselves against a wide range of problems. Starting with Earthquakes and running the gammet of Hurricanes, Tornadoes, and Ice Storms, and everything in between that affects their local area of habitation.

I'm still wondering who or what is actually behind this show being broadcast.

#87072 - 03/01/07 10:36 PM Re: Soundoff: New Season "Jericho" Duh Moments [Re: wildman800]
Blackeagle Offline

Loc: Salt Lake City, UT
Originally Posted By: wildman800
I notice though, that for the first time ever, a Nuclear War is being shown as survivable.

This isn't really the first time nuclear war has been shown to be survivable. Take a look at The Day After or Threads for instance.

#87073 - 03/01/07 10:51 PM Re: Soundoff: New Season "Jericho" Duh Moments [Re: stealthedc]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
"They don't really hang people for stealing do they?"

No, they have a jail with three hots and a cot after a speedy trial by jury of your peers. laugh

The show's definitely not going to win any awards for realism, but I still find it fun to watch while I'm waiting for "Lost" to come on. LOL

#87088 - 03/02/07 01:35 AM Re: Soundoff: New Season "Jericho" Duh Moments [Re: Nicodemus]
91gdub Offline

Loc: South Jersey (the 51st state)
I've been watching it and will continue to.
As for actual survival skills being shown, some seem to be pretty sketchy and some others non-realistic. I'm more into the "Well, if that had happend to me I would have done _____" mode while I watch.
If at the end of the day it wakes up a few folks and gets them thinking about the what if them it's worthwhile.

#87096 - 03/02/07 02:33 AM Re: Soundoff: New Season "Jericho" Duh Moments [Re: Blackeagle]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I stand corrected! There is a difference though in how people are able to cope in the Jericho scenario.

#87133 - 03/02/07 03:07 PM Re: Soundoff: New Season "Jericho" Duh Moments
garland Offline

Loc: harrisburg, pa
That's the thing though. They're showing it's survivable but they're nowhere NEAR how bad it would be. You'd think they could spend a fraction of an actors salary on hiring AN EXPERT.

They say truth is stranger than fiction... that's because the people who sometimes write fiction usually don't know what the **** they are talking about!

I can just imagine the droves of sheople drinking iodine and getting sick or standing outside in radioactive fallout thinking "oh it's safe, it's been 24 hours"

Facebook: http://on.fb.me/foPFgx

#87142 - 03/02/07 04:58 PM Re: Soundoff: New Season "Jericho" Duh Moments [Re: wildman800]
infrared Offline

Small town,large city,rural location after collapse of central government(and the creation of six new ones-along with who knows how many other independents)water,uncontaminated water would be at a premium. You want a Duh moment-did you notice everyone looks clean and showered. I would think safe water to drink would be hard enough,let alone water to shower with and on top of that clean clothes.Then again I like the show and maybe they all smell and we just don't hear about it-like on 24 where no one goes to the restroom but you assume that they do during parts that you don't see.Good clean fun.

#87164 - 03/02/07 06:52 PM Re: Soundoff: New Season "Jericho" Duh Moments [Re: Blackeagle]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
I don't know about movies or TV shows. But Alas! Babylon was written about survivors of a full scale nuclear war between the US and the USSR. Good book.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Phaedrus), 500 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Today at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.