The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#86889 - 02/28/07 02:46 AM swedish Mess Kit
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego
I just recived my Swedish mess kit and loaded it with alcohol,and put 9 oz. of water on to boil. In 41/2 min. I was drinking coffee. The temp. was 58 with a light wind. This unit will go in the back of my truck, and my gas rig will come out.
Quick easy and no gas fumes to worry about. It also has the ability to hang over the fire, if need be.

#86891 - 02/28/07 02:51 AM Re: swedish Mess Kit [Re: big_al]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Every time I decide not to get one of those things to replace my Pepsi can stove and greast pot, someone like you comes along and changes my mind. Guess I might as well get around to doing it. Glad you like it...

#86899 - 02/28/07 03:12 AM Re: swedish Mess Kit [Re: OldBaldGuy]
big_al Offline
Addict

OBG Take a look at e-bay#270092554670 This is the same stove I bought, and from the same guy. The one I recived I don't think has ever been used.

#86905 - 02/28/07 04:00 AM Re: swedish Mess Kit [Re: big_al]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Hokay, thanks...

#86906 - 02/28/07 04:06 AM Re: swedish Mess Kit [Re: big_al]
smitty Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Missouri
I've got 2 of these kits and thinking about getting another. They work great.
Big al... what did you use as your fuel? Denatured alcohol or Heat?

smitty

#86910 - 02/28/07 04:45 AM Re: swedish Mess Kit [Re: smitty]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
Denat & heet are essentially the same. I bought a can of denatured alcohol from wally world, and it runs fine out of mine.

#86923 - 02/28/07 01:15 PM Re: swedish Mess Kit [Re: oldsoldier]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Point- the yellow Heet is good stove fuel. But it isn't the same as denatured, denatured is mostly ethanol with enough methanol so that it isn't drinkable and thus tax exempt. Yellow Heet is mostly just methanol.

Red Heet is pointless as stove fuel, it's high grade isopropyl, too much water to burn well.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#86925 - 02/28/07 01:20 PM Re: swedish Mess Kit [Re: ironraven]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Hey, I found this link, for TWO of them, cheap! You cant go wrong with this deal! http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=288323

#86936 - 02/28/07 02:29 PM Re: swedish Mess Kit [Re: big_al]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I like mine so much that I bought a second one for my nephew's backpack. I've been using regular de-natured alcohol and have had no problems (with the stove).

I have learned that cooking scrambled eggs or mixing instant grits creates quite a job cleaning the residue out afterwards. I do carry a U.S. Army messkit with me for frying food (eggs, etc.) and for the plate. I use U.S. Army canteens/cups to mix up the grits, oatmeal, & other sticky foods since they are easier to clean afterwards. A side note for those who use the U.S. Army system, I can fit a small ziplock bag/2 SOS pads, a small pill bottle of "strike anywhere" matches, and 4 Triox tablets in the U.S. Army messkit.

The best thing about this Swedish messkit is that there remains sufficient room inside for a ziplock bag/4 SOS pads, a large pill bottle of "strike anywhere" matches, and a Hobo knife. Placing these extra items in the messkits also reduce the "rattle factor" significantly. Less "rattle factor" means increased opportunities to observe wildlife while on the march.

I am a Military History Buff and I have noticed that the German Army has used this kit from at least WW1 up to the recent past. (I don't know if they are still using it today) I have noticed in the old war footage, you will quite often see this messkit hung on the outside of the Field Pack. I would like to know how the German Wehrmacht personnel are hanging these without losing them during the "fog of battle". I would rather hang it on the outside than take up that space inside of my pack.

#86944 - 02/28/07 04:01 PM Re: swedish Mess Kit [Re: oldsoldier]
dchinell Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: FL
Oldsoldier and all:

A word of caution. I've tried twice to buy them from Sportsman's Guide, and both times they arrived with so much damage to the windscreen that they were either unusable, or something I just didn't want to use.

All the units I've gotten from them are clearly heavily used, showing damage to the rubber o-rings that seal the alcohol burner lid, and evidence of wood fires having been used inside the windscreen.

I've bought these kits from other sources and had them arrive in near-perfect condition, and suggest you hold out for that.

Bear

Edited by dchinell (02/28/07 04:02 PM)

#86948 - 02/28/07 04:19 PM Re: swedish Mess Kit [Re: wildman800]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

I always saw this hanging on German soldiers. I assumed for a long time that it was a mess kit, stove, something like that. Later discovered that it is a gas mask container...

#86950 - 02/28/07 04:24 PM Re: swedish Mess Kit [Re: dchinell]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I ordered the 1st messkit from cheaperthandirt.com and it was in almost new condition. The 2nd messkit was gotten through my local army-navy surplus store (new condition). Both purchases were around $5 and of course, I paid S&H for the 1st messkit.

#86958 - 02/28/07 05:24 PM Re: swedish Mess Kit [Re: wildman800]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
mixing instant grits creates quite a job cleaning the residue out afterwards.

If you make a lot of oatmeal, grits, or other "just boil" foods look into Freezer Bag Cooking. Simply put the oatmeal and water in a heavy duty freezer bag then set this bag in boiling water. It'll cook up fine and not leave your cookware a mess. I've started doing this with eggs, canned chili, curry, etc... It saves me a lot of cleaning hassles in the woods.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#86960 - 02/28/07 05:27 PM Re: swedish Mess Kit [Re: Blast]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Thanks for the tip, I'll try it out!

#86962 - 02/28/07 05:31 PM Re: swedish Mess Kit [Re: OldBaldGuy]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I liked that idea so I made some versions from PVC piping and I use them to carry electronics gear (antennas, small parts), emergency rations (which can also be used as a water carrier).

My imagination is the limit.

#86987 - 02/28/07 11:53 PM Re: swedish Mess Kit [Re: wildman800]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Ok, responses & stuff:
dchinnell; thanks, I didnt order mine from them (got one off a guy in maine), but, good word of caution. They use a standard picture for it, so, I guess you cant guess from that. Good call, thanks for the word of caution.
OBG: I used to think the same thing! There is a guy local to me who has the worlds largest & most expensive collection of Nazi memorabilia. I asked him the same thing, years ago. He told me that, after a couple of years, the soldiers dumped the masks & used it to store stuff. This guy also has the only shirt in existence worn by Hitler. I touched it. what a bond with history....
Blast: I too am gonna try that out! Any time saved cleaning up is time spent, well, doing other things I guess smile

#87003 - 03/01/07 02:42 AM Re: swedish Mess Kit [Re: wildman800]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Keep an eye on it, last time I did eggs in a bag the bag tipped to the side and melted into the side of the pot above the waterline. Really made a mess of my gormet omlet...

#87012 - 03/01/07 03:20 AM Re: swedish Mess Kit [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
Keep an eye on it, last time I did eggs in a bag the bag tipped to the side and melted into the side of the pot above the waterline. Really made a mess of my gormet omlet...

Try folding the excess material togehter and holding it in place with a small binder clip then attaching the binder clip to something up away from the pot/fire.

Like so:

Three eggs, 1/2 onion, salt, pepper, and 1/3 of a summer sausage cooking to perfection.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#87022 - 03/01/07 04:29 AM Re: swedish Mess Kit [Re: Blast]
big_al Offline
Addict

smitty:
I use Denatured alcohol from wally world. Works outstanding. I had to pay $14.95 + shipping for my unit, but after using it, it's worth it. The unit I recived was like new, and I realy don't think it had ever been used.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 545 Guests and 36 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by chaosmagnet
Today at 07:18 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Today at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.