Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#86689 - 02/25/07 08:25 PM Realistic scenarios when day hiking.
teacher Offline
Old Hand

Ok, another thread got me thinking -- What is really likely to happen when I go day hinking? (And what I shoud plan for in my kit)

Things that are going to happen:

I'll get thirsty and sunburned.

Things that sometimes happen:

I get hungry or turned around.

Things that might happen:

It might rain, I might get a blister

Things not to worry about:

Bears, EMP's, needing to direct a helicopter to a safe landing zone...

Therefore, I carry water, a hat sunscreen, snacks, band-aids and a map. Sometimes a raincoat or an umbrella. (There's more stuff, my EDC & hiking kit), but my point is that I am only going to worry about the likely scenarios -- not cool, sexy scenarios that are very unlikely. My .02 for the day

Teacher

#86691 - 02/25/07 08:54 PM Re: Realistic scenarios when day hiking. [Re: teacher]
tfisher Offline

Loc: Illinois, USA
Toss in some ideas:

Are you allergic to bee stings etc.

injury like broken leg/ankle

attacked by wild dogs.

medical emergency(diabetic, etc.)

#86693 - 02/25/07 09:13 PM Re: Realistic scenarios when day hiking.
ponder Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: American Redoubt
GUARANTEED -

You will meet aggressive dogs.
The will meet the dogs owner.
The weather will change.
You will have car trouble.
You will experience anxiety.

American Redoubt
N43.9668 W116.1888

#86706 - 02/25/07 10:28 PM Re: Realistic scenarios when day hiking. [Re: ponder]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
Things to consider:
Bathroom-my nephew is famous for this.
One thing happened a while back while out geocaching; my nephew came down with (what we thought was) acute appendicitis. In the middle of nowhere. Odd scenario...one not really planned for. Needless to say, we made it home in time, to find out is WASNT appendicitis. Who knows what it really was...

#86708 - 02/25/07 10:42 PM Re: Realistic scenarios when day hiking. [Re: teacher]
Coastie09 Offline
I didn't float test my chipping hammer, honest Chief!

Loc: Connecticut
Agreed, I've given up on the idea that I should always hike with enough gear to see me through a year of unassisted living because of some apoloclyptic disaster. Now, my daypack and PSK are geared towards the things I consider much more likely, namely something happens that warrants me spending an unexpected night in the boonies until I can figure out what to do in the morning - i.e. I get disorientated exploring something cool off trail, or I fall and get a nasty cut.

My priorities:
First aid - AMK Ultralight .9
Navigation - 7.5 or 15 minute quadrangle map, compass, Garmin GPS
Water procurement - Kataydhn Hiker, 4 qt carrying capacity
Fire - bic lighter, NATO matches, flint
Shelter - AMK Heatsheet bivy and a poncho

#86711 - 02/26/07 01:11 AM Re: Realistic scenarios when day hiking. [Re: teacher]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...needing to direct a helicopter to a safe landing zone..."

You might want to rethink that one. I was once on a day hike (eight miles round trip) with three friends. Before the day was out we needed a helicopter to lift one of them out. Luckily, in this case, we were at a very prominent location (the top of Half Dome in Yosemite), and had a ranger on scene with a radio, but change a few things and we might have needed to direct that bird in ourselves. On other occasions I have directed choppers in with a mirror, and even though I had radio contact with them, the mirror made it easier for them to locate me. A mirror is small and lightweight, why not stick one in your kit???

#86717 - 02/26/07 03:29 AM Re: Realistic scenarios when day hiking. [Re: teacher]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
It's all well and good to prepare for the likely things. But a little bit of thought about the unlikely things might save your butt.

I'd at least prepare for the unlikely with these minimal items:

whistle
signal mirror
knife
firemaking (mini-BIC and ferro rod)
adequate clothing/shelter to make it through the night

#86720 - 02/26/07 04:44 AM Re: Realistic scenarios when day hiking. [Re: teacher]
ratbert42 Offline

Loc: Florida
That pack with the 48 "essentials", 5 days of food, 6 knives, 4 flashlights, etc. will weigh a lot more that it did when you packed it.
The clear blue skies will disappear and it will pour down rain.
That hotspot will blister by the time you check it even though you "don't get blisters".
You'll hit a confusing junction with a cross-trail.
You will twist an ankle.
Something will come lose: a pack strap, a boot sole, etc.
It will turn out to be some bug's annual activity peak.
You'll have to poop when you didn't plan to.
Someone on an ATV or mountain bike will almost hit you.
The trail will be flooded.
You'll pick up a tick and not notice it until you're scratching yourself in bed that night.
Someone will break into your car at the trailhead.

Every one of these has happened to me at least once except the car break-in.

#86721 - 02/26/07 05:27 AM Re: Realistic scenarios when day hiking. [Re: ratbert42]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Remind me to NEVER go hiking with you... smile

#86740 - 02/26/07 04:07 PM Re: Realistic scenarios when day hiking. [Re: teacher]
sicily02 Offline

teacher for me anyway you hit the nail on the head. I am in an area that does not have any bears but we do have cougers and wild dogs might be a problems but that would be in such a rare case to have happen and I always have my kit with me. in south east Ne. where I hike I can listen to the news and prepare my day that way and be gone just a few hours the bigggest thing I think that would happen to me is a twisted ankle and that has happen before but I did make it back before it got dark. Back packs and what some people carry just for a hike is unreal. My kits are the same except the for the knife that is with the kit. one has the Doug Ritter MK3 fixed blade and on the other kit it has a Chris Reeves Project II. Even if I was hurt I think spending the night out would be pretty easy with just the small kit I carry. I have made shelters with them before and having a fire is really about I would need for where I am at. I hike almost every day in the same areas some are somewhat remote but with in a day I could be at some farmers house or town and I always tell someone where I am going to be at. Here is a couple of pics of the kits that I carry. I carry a staff and leather gloves always and a filson hat.

What do you think?
In Doug Ritter psp there is a infomation guide that says every one in your party should have the psp a shelter of some type, water, a first iad kit, and KNIFE. proper clothing for the next couple of days and that is about all I feel I need for where I am at. comments welcome.
Take care,
Bryan

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 418 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.