Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#86453 - 02/23/07 02:37 AM Re: Fire Extinguisher question [Re: Be_Prepared]
Blacktop Offline

Loc: Cypress, TX
Practice is right! In our CERT fire suppression training, it was amazing how hard it was to get the fire out at times. Sometimes the fire flared UP big time when we thought we were giving good coverage with the PASS technique. Then there was the time someone attacked the fire too low to the ground and managed to blow the flaming liquid right out of the pan and onto the ground. Even if you aren't practicing with a real fire, it's good to know what the powder is going to do when you squeeze the lever. IMO it is worth the $10 for the practice extinguisher.

#86481 - 02/23/07 06:14 AM Re: Fire Extinguisher question [Re: GameOver]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
From what a fireman told me, ALL fire extinguishers are one-use.

If the head is metal, it's probably refillable, and it should be refilled by a professional after any discharge (the fire dept can recommend one). If any part of it is rusty or corroded, they probably won't refill it.

The ones with the plastic heads aren't refillable; if the tank is aluminum, take it to a recycling facility. If it's made from anything else, send it to the dump.

Sue

#86520 - 02/23/07 06:01 PM Re: Fire Extinguisher question [Re: Susan]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Susan
From what a fireman told me, ALL fire extinguishers are one-use.

If the head is metal, it's probably refillable, and it should be refilled by a professional after any discharge (the fire dept can recommend one). If any part of it is rusty or corroded, they probably won't refill it.

The ones with the plastic heads aren't refillable; if the tank is aluminum, take it to a recycling facility. If it's made from anything else, send it to the dump.

Sue

Well no, commercial extinguishers for home use generally are one-use, but the heavy duty industrial once's can be refilled, many many times and will last for many years.

Fire extinguishers are checked every year and every some years they will be empyted and hydro tested (to check it's pressure risistance). Than dryed and refilled. There have been 2 cases where a extinguisher tank failed and killed the user, because of hidden rust. I think it was hidden behind the rubber protective foot on the bases of those extinguishers, where water would collect...

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 279 Guests and 114 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.