Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#87613 - 03/07/07 04:22 AM Re: AM/FM Radio with Solar or Crank [Re: acropolis5]
Jess Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
I bought my Eton FR400s via the National Public Radio (NPR) website at http://shop.npr.org/webapp/wcs/stores/se...4&langId=-1 for $60.00.

They also have them for the same price ($59.99) at Amazon.com, but I went ahead with NPR.org because the profits from their online store go towards funding their respective radio stations and programming. I am an avid NPR listener. smile

Jess

Edited by Jess (03/07/07 04:25 AM)
Edit Reason: typo

#87737 - 03/08/07 07:44 AM Re: AM/FM Radio with Solar or Crank [Re: Jess]
hurley52 Offline

Which would be better for emergency situations: VHF and NOAA or shortwave? i ask because Eton makes the FR350 and FR400 which are both the same except the FR350 has short wave along with FM/AM, but doesnt have the NOAA channels or VHF (TV), however the FR400 (seen above) has NOAA and VHF along with AM/FM but no shortwave frequencies. i am curious because i want to get one or the other and i am not sure which would be more useful.

#88048 - 03/11/07 10:05 PM Re: AM/FM Radio with Solar or Crank [Re: hurley52]
yeti Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: somewhere out there...
Truthfully, I'd prefer a unit made with all of the avaiulable bands. As it is, you would have to buy two models to get them. Additionally, I think someone at Eton was impressed by style over content whn theuy were pitched a website. If you go to:

http://www.etoncorp.com/grundig

one might expect to see tech specs, a comparison table with all of their products, etc. Unfortunatley, one doesn't get that. For you dialup folks, expect an inordinantly long load-time.

Then if you go to the FAQ for the 200:

http://www.etoncorp.com/faqsection/?p_sectionid=2099

you'll see that the marketing hype of a one-min crank for an hour of play should actually be two...oh....and you really should only use the crank in an emergency.

wanna use the light? you'll need to continuously crank the unit.

"When the emergency use factor is understood, this product is excellent for that purpose." --not exactly making me swell with confidence.

Now that that is all said...I'm waiting on mine to arrive. But I'm thinking it won't be as broadly used as I thought when I ordered it.

#88624 - 03/17/07 10:59 PM Re: AM/FM Radio with Solar or Crank [Re: Blackeagle]
amper Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: US
As one of the resident hams here, let me attempt to cajole you into obtaining an Amateur Radio license. You can get a Technician Class license by passing a 35 question multiple-choice test. If you wish to access the "shortwave" bands (what we hams call "High Frequency" or HF), you no longer have to learn Morse Code.

The main reason I suggest this is because if you are serious about including communications equipment in your emergency supplies that is any more sophisticated than your basic transistor AM/FM radio (and actually, that little Sony cranker looks cool, I haven't seen that yet), you're probably going to want to think about something with better performance, and possibly two-way radio capability. You will also find the hams as a whole tend to be very interested in disaster preparedness.

Since I got my license, I've replaced all my el-cheapo gear with "real" radios. I would recommend any of the Icom, Yaesu, or Kenwood handheld receivers that can be run from AA battery packs in addition to rechargeable batteries. These things will generally receive from "DC to daylight", as we say, and often are at least somewhat ruggedized against water infiltration.

My own gear includes an Icom IC-W32A handheld (now discontinued), and a Yaesu FT-817ND 5-watt portable. The Icom isn't a wide-band receiver, but it does get NOAA Weather Radio (which is much more important than VHF TV reception, especially since analog TV is going away in two years or so). The Yaesu can get just about anything, *except* NOAA. I've made a readable voice contact using a marginal antenna with my 817 of about 600 miles running 5 watts of transmit power.

My Jeep also includes a 100 watt Yaesu FT-100 HF/VHF/UHF transceiver and a 50 watt Kenwood TM-D700A VHF/UHF unit with APRS capability (GPS mapping hookup).

Even if you don't go for an Amateur license, you should be aware of the various units from at least Icom, Yaesu/Vertex Standard, and Kenwood. They are much better than anything you will find at a regular consumer level. They also generally have external antennae that can be replaced with a much higher-performance antenna if you have the need. If you *do* go for a license, you will learn a lot about maximizing the performance of your radio gear.

As far as solar or crank power goes, AA batteries don't weigh much (especially the lithiu varieties), and you can get solar chargers for them. You can probably get crank chargers for them, as well.

Edited by amper (03/17/07 11:01 PM)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 226 Guests and 50 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.