Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#86109 - 02/20/07 12:44 PM Re: Has anyone used a solar still? [Re: NeighborBill]
NeighborBill Offline
Enthusiastic
Enthusiast

Loc: Oklahoma City
Oh, and humidity in and outside the hole.

Sheesh, I'm going to have to buy a datalogger--I wonder what else the wife is going to use against me in a divorce?

#86161 - 02/20/07 08:36 PM Re: Has anyone used a solar still? [Re: teacher]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

In the book "Adrift" by Steven Callahan the author's solar stills got him through times of otherwise no water. He was in perfect conditions, though: very moist source (seawater) in very hot & sunny weather. IIRC he netted about 2 pints/day from each still. His stills were small and purpose-made for use at sea although they fell apart after a while.

When I read the book, I remembered all the nay-saying about solar stills & the sweat equity they demand. While they certainly won't produce bountiful springs of water, I think they should be among your options IF:

1 - you do the work to set them up at night, not out in the broiling sun

2 - you utilize a moisture source other than the ground itself: cut up vegetation, seawater, etc.

3 - take advantage of natural depressions (or available containers) rather than digging big holes from scratch

I think solar stills are best considered adjunct water sources that are nice if they work out, but are not to be depended upon as a primary source. I wouldn't throw out the entire concept, though, as seems to be common. I think Callahan's real-world experience with the stills is not to be dismissed lightly.

#86176 - 02/20/07 10:18 PM Re: Has anyone used a solar still? [Re: NightHiker]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
Just a small point, but Steven Callahan used inflatable solar stills rather than one that is dug into the ground. They required constant attention and eventually began to fail, be he wouldn't have survived without them. Great book, by the way, talk about a guy who just wouldn't give up!

Hmmmm... I have an idea! If I was traveling by vehicle through the desert, it might be a good idea to carry an inflatable wading pool. Inverted, it would make an instant above-ground solar still.

Note to self: Tomorrow, incorporate desert survival equipment company and start selling kiddie pools as solar stills at a 500% markup.

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#86180 - 02/20/07 11:00 PM Re: Has anyone used a solar still? [Re: thseng]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Home depot sells clear 55 gallon trash bags that would make excellent transpiration bags AND are large enough to fit over most branches and also be used as shelter.

Besides, you could also put it over your head, tie it off at the waist, and have an excellent see-through rain shelter ... for a few minutes anyway. sick

Ken K.

#86219 - 02/21/07 03:28 AM Re: Has anyone used a solar still? [Re: NeighborBill]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
8)How wet/damp/dry was the soil?
9)What time of year, and when was last measurable rainfall?
10)How much water or other liquids did you tank up on before or during the construction?
11)Keep track of #10 and compare that to what you gained from the still.

The last time I read about one of these things, I think they recommended a hole about three feet deep and almost as wide. The last time I had a hole that deep dug in my yard here in WA, it was a grave for my 50# dog. I hired three 15-yr-old boys to dig it on an April day that was about 50 degrees, in shade. They took turns loosening the soil with a 5-ft steel breaker bar, scooping with a pointy type of shovel, and removing many large rocks by hand. It took them two solid hours, they worked pretty steadily and they were sweating like pigs.

I dug a hole in my open field that was two feet deep and one foot across in the summer, and the soil was almost totally dry all the way to the bottom. And if I had added all of the above-mentioned ingredients to the hole to increase the possibility of producing water, how much would the dry soil have absorbed in the process?

I just can't see that kind of effort being worth the amount of water that most solar stills would produce.

Sue

#86242 - 02/21/07 12:49 PM Re: Has anyone used a solar still? [Re: Susan]
NeighborBill Offline
Enthusiastic
Enthusiast

Good points. My purpose in the grand "experiment" is to find out what factors contribute to water production and what factors detract.

If a solar still, once dug, continues to produce a half pint of water daily with no intervention...it may be worth it. If you have no means of purification and can transpose dirty water into clean with it, it may be worth it. I just want to find out, rather than relying on (not necessarily useless) the consenting majority.

#86278 - 02/21/07 07:40 PM Re: Has anyone used a solar still? [Re: NightHiker]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
In a true desert, I would be.

On a coast line or in a moist grassland or woodland, I could see it. But in the later two, you can usually find a surface water source easier than you can dig the pit.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#86309 - 02/22/07 12:28 AM Re: Has anyone used a solar still? [Re: NightHiker]
NeighborBill Offline
Enthusiastic
Enthusiast

Generic parameters from this experiment: the water table is 250 below ground on average; soil is clay. Summers are hot and humid.

What I expect to find is some type of curve where temperature, humidity, etc correlate to an increase/decrease of water production.

Call me overly curious, but I'd just like to know what a solar still is capable of and what to expect from one if I build it smile

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle, chaosmagnet), 253 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hoover Stew
by brandtb
Yesterday at 03:45 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.