The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#86043 - 02/19/07 10:04 PM Re: Combined FAK/PSK
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Like many others on this forum, I EDC stuff that is used daily and would also be in a PSK. I guess you could say I carry two PSKs: the stuff in my Mission Wallet and my Ritter PSK. The knife and light in the Mission Wallet are used daily; other stuff in the MW not so much. The DR PSK is never opened. As for an FAK, I went with an Ultralight .3 and added a set of tweezers. Works for me.

#86044 - 02/19/07 11:35 PM Re: Combined FAK/PSK
samhain Offline
Addict

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I carry them separate only because that is what works for me.

I use my Fatboy daily as my "man purse" so I have a little more room to play with.

In my Fatboy, I have my PSK and a small FAK, in addition to my little red "bag of tricks" (tape, backup matches, twist ties, etc.) for minor emergencies/improvisation.

Having them separate allows me to carry more stuff and be a little more flexible in it's use (for example; I can hand over my FAK to my wife and still have the rest of my gear).

It's fun to play with different configurations of stuff and see how it carries/works/doesn't work depending on real life experience.

My only advice is to stay flexible, play with what works for you, and have a backup for your backup.

One never really solve problems; just trade off consequences.

#86045 - 02/20/07 12:06 AM Re: Combined FAK/PSK
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
For smaller kits, I like to have them seperate. In my PSK/PMK combo, the medical kit is as big as the PSK! Why? Because you can die from blood loss just as fast and easy as hypothermia, and from an infected wound well as you can from dehydration.

At the next step up, my ditch kit's medical component is just as large as the "core" part of the survival kit. Never mind that I've got about twice as much "accessory" stuff as there is core kit.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#86046 - 02/20/07 03:50 AM Re: Combined FAK/PSK
Coastie09 Offline
I didn't float test my chipping hammer, honest Chief!

Loc: Connecticut
To a certain extent, I like combining some PSK/FAK items. In my med/large PSK (an Otterbox 1000) I had enough room for 3 triple antibiotic packets, 2 alcohal wipes, 2 2x2 gauze pads, 4 bandaids, and 10 steri strips. The idea being that if I were to suffer a large gash from a fall or something I could patch myself up if all I had my my PSK. I could also use the 26" of duct tape in the kit, and my EDC cotton bandanna for additional wound dressing. But again, those supplies are in there just in case all I had was my PSK. Additionally, I carry the AMK Ultralight .9 in my pack, so I can deal with just about any medical emergency I encounter.

Sometimes, when I am going a little lighter, I do like to break up my PSK and FAK. I have found the Otterbox a tad too uncomfortable (hard, and 12.3 oz) to sit in my pocket all day, though I have managed that before. So like many others, I break my supplies up and carry the Ritter PSP in one pocket, and my personally assembled FAK that I call my Ultralight ".4" - it is about halfway between the .3 and .5. This way I can carry more medical stuff, though slightly less "survival" stuff, than what is in my Otterbox in a more comfortable setup. I love my Otterbox and AMK .9 but sometimes they are awkward to carry on person and thus I usually toss them in my pack, but the nature of my environment (urban at the moment) makes a pack feel like overkill. Can't wait to go hiking...

Matt

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 259 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
Today at 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.