Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#85843 - 02/19/07 06:19 PM Re: Maps: Underappreciated Survival Tool?
DesertFox Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York, NY
USGS.gov is a good source for topo maps. They also have a dealer loacator that lists outlets where you can go buy them.

#86606 - 02/24/07 09:28 PM Re: Maps: Underappreciated Survival Tool? [Re: DesertFox]
Chuck Offline
Stranger

Loc: Summerville South Carolina
Another fan of Mytopo.com here. I have used several of their maps and have been very happy with them. I also use DeLorme Topo. I have some real issues with this software but it seems to be the best product available at this time. I also carry the Delorme state atlas in my truck.
I live along the South Carolina coast I have a bug out kit for the family and another for myself (I have to stay during storms). Included in both kits is a family emergency book that includes maps. Mine has detailed waterproof maps to aid me in getting home after the storm.
I grew up in the Sierra Nevada mountians and learned quickly that you always take a map, compass, GPS and the knowlage to use them when you go into the woods. Take a little common sense with you as well, it just might save your life.

#87015 - 03/01/07 03:29 AM Re: Maps: Underappreciated Survival Tool? [Re: Blackeagle]
Jess Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Originally Posted By: wildman800
I still like the VFR charts. They have decent topographics, gravel to paved super highways, RR right-of-ways, Lat/Long ticks, terrain features, elevations, etc. They are on a good scale and can be gotten at virtually any airport. It's been a long time since I had to buy one but the price had always been reasonable.
Check them out!!!

If there is a military base with a runway near you give them a call and see if you can have any visual flight rules (VFR) charts that are going to be thrown away. These charts/maps are unclassified and get tossed in the garbage every time a new version is printed.

The changes would most likely be insignificant to anyone who needs the chart for bugging out purposes. The pilots toss them because often times the change is due to the addition of a new radio tower in the area, change to one of the airways/jetways, etc. These changes do not really impact folks using the charts on the ground.

Local Fixed Based Operators (FBOs), the small local airports that usually support recreational flying and corporate jets, will also give away the old VFR charts if you ask.

#87027 - 03/01/07 05:33 AM Re: Maps: Underappreciated Survival Tool? [Re: DesertFox]
kharrell Offline
Typical Survival Victim

Originally Posted By: DesertFox
USGS.gov is a good source for topo maps. They also have a dealer loacator that lists outlets where you can go buy them.

Link to viewer:
http://nmviewogc.cr.usgs.gov/viewer.htm

I use this site to plan trips. Topo as well as arial photos. (plus lots more).

#87054 - 03/01/07 06:13 PM Re: Maps: Underappreciated Survival Tool? [Re: kharrell]
notsofast Offline

My first post…

Hallo everybody!
There are a few more things to do with a topo map then orienteering yourself in the outdoors.
On vacation or in case of an emergency you can:
- Use the map on top of a not so warm sleeping bag as a heat shield / windchill protector.
- Same use if you have only your clothes to sleep in or to cover other less equipped people.
-Use it as a windscreen if you are building a fire in windy conditions or for an alcohol- / gas stove.
-Use it as a splint or part to construct a splint.
- Use it to chase and kill bugs.
- Use it for fanning air in your face or in a fire.
- Use it as wrap / cushion for fragile items you found on your way.
- Use it as warming layer and windchill protector under clothing.

If it has a white backside you can also:
-Reflect light and heat from your campfire into a shelter.
-Reflect light in shady spots while taking photos.
-Use the backside as a high contrast background (good if you have do delicate work in lowlight conditions with older eyes or having lost your seeing aid).
-As white and rectangular stands out in most natural environments, you can use it as a signal and message pad for SAR personal. (Only if it is a map of another place and you don’t need it for other purposes).
-Write your log/journal/last will on the backside.
-Cut off the unimprinted rims and/or parts of the map you do not need in the field for various uses you need paper for.

So we see a map is one of the two most useful paper items one can have while travelling, the other is a Newspaper in my opinion. But that will be another thread...

#87085 - 03/02/07 01:21 AM Re: Maps: Underappreciated Survival Tool? [Re: notsofast]
Jess Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Originally Posted By: notsofast

There are a few more things to do with a topo map then orienteering yourself in the outdoors.
On vacation or in case of an emergency you can:
- Use the map on top of a not so warm sleeping bag as a heat shield / windchill protector.
- Same use if you have only your clothes to sleep in or to cover other less equipped people.
-Use it as a windscreen if you are building a fire in windy conditions or for an alcohol- / gas stove.
-Use it as a splint or part to construct a splint.
- Use it to chase and kill bugs.
- Use it for fanning air in your face or in a fire.
- Use it as wrap / cushion for fragile items you found on your way.
- Use it as warming layer and windchill protector under clothing.

If it has a white backside you can also:
-Reflect light in shady spots while taking photos.
-Use the backside as a high contrast background (good if you have do delicate work in lowlight conditions with older eyes or having lost your seeing aid).
-As white and rectangular stands out in most natural environments, you can use it as a signal and message pad for SAR personal. (Only if it is a map of another place and you don?t need it for other purposes).
-Write your log/journal/last will on the backside.
-Cut off the unimprinted rims and/or parts of the map you do not need in the field for various uses you need paper for.

Does it do the dishes too?
I'm sold.
wink

Edited by Jess (03/02/07 01:23 AM)

#87087 - 03/02/07 01:24 AM Re: Maps: Underappreciated Survival Tool? [Re: notsofast]
Blackeagle Offline

Loc: Salt Lake City, UT
Originally Posted By: notsofast

-Use it for fanning air in your face or in a fire.

Careful, topo maps do burn, you know. grin

#87094 - 03/02/07 02:21 AM Re: Maps: Underappreciated Survival Tool? [Re: notsofast]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Welcome.

And after the newpaper post will come the one on TP, right? It's a pretty useful piece of paper also...

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Phaedrus, dougwalkabout), 542 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
22 minutes 40 seconds ago
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.