Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#8573 - 08/23/02 10:19 PM Alice pack modifications
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello<br> I am new to this forum and have been reading the post with great interest for the past few weeks. I have gained a lot of information on various topics and was interested in the recent subject of alice packs. I understand most of the pros and cons of using alice packs and have read some of the modifications people have done to them and was wondering if there were any other suggestions to improving the alice pack system?<br>The reason for my request is that i just picked up 2 medium alice bags for 7 dollars each, just the bags no shoulder straps or waist belt. I wanted to use them for 72 hour bug out bags (if i need to evacuate my apartment). I already have another medium alice with the military shoulder straps, waist belt and military frame but am interested in any ideas that could be used to better it.<br>On the web there is a site that suggest using the synthetic plastic frames made by coleman called ramflex. I think they are the same design as the enduroflex frames put out by outdoor products. I also have read on this forum that the frieghtliner frame can be used with the large bag. Has anyone tried the synthetic frames with alice bags? Any other suggestions or modifications?

#8574 - 08/23/02 10:30 PM Re: Alice pack modifications
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
<< Has anyone tried the synthetic frames with alice bags >><br><br>Good idea - I've got a couple of those frames here and I'll take a look at that. Won't have time to tinker with it until Sunday, so drop me a PM if you don't see a post from me by Monday.

#8575 - 08/23/02 10:43 PM Re: Alice pack modifications
Anonymous
Unregistered

wow! Thanks for the quick response I meant to post the site were i saw that information. I am not to computer savy but here it is:<br><br>www. geocities.com/Pentagon/Quarters/2116/rucksack.htm<br>It looks like the frame needs to be cut down a little though.<br><br>Another interesting site<br>www.highspeedgearinc.com/rucksack.htm<br>But i would rather save money and try to make my own modifications.

#8576 - 08/24/02 04:51 AM Re: Alice pack modifications
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
Heck, I don't need to look into this any farther - it certainly will work. See this link from the first page you sent for a description of the mods.<br><br>Not sure I would like the hipbelt, though - same belt, probably in the same location. It needs to be contoured to prevent interference with hips when walking. Unfortunately, readily available off-the-shelf components like a Tech-5 run the cost up quite a bit - OK for "professional use", but on a budget... may as well get a commercial system when you add up all the costs.<br><br>Anyway, if you can pick up a frame inexpensively (yard sale?) this looks like the simplest solution to the frame ergonomics that I have seen. I'm not going to sacrifice one of our frames (the kits have a dedicated purpose), but I'm going to put the word out to keep an eye peeled for a good deal on used ones. I'd like to try this out just for the heck of it.<br><br>Please post if you make this improvement and tell us all about it.<br><br>Regards,<br><br>Tom

#8577 - 08/24/02 06:55 AM Re: Alice pack modifications
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks Tom for the input. I was thinking the same thing. I would like to try this set up but am hesitating because the cost might equal a new pack. I made a few calls and coleman sells the frame for around 30 dollars. I could probably find a decent shoulder and waist belt but again the cost might run just as much as a new pack. I guess I have to go garage hunting.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 295 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.