Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#85636 - 02/15/07 04:01 AM Re: I'd never heard this one before
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Back when I was a kid in Explorer Scouts Search and Rescue, we all cut off a
different bit of the vibram "stars" on one boot sole, so when other searchers came across our tracks they could be reasonably sure it wasn't the person being searched for.

My father in law often leaves a note in the car at trailheads saying something to the effect
"Bob, out sighting in the new rifle, back in a few hours."

#85637 - 02/15/07 05:43 AM Re: I'd never heard this one before
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
If you find their car, slim jim the door and give the dog a few seconds of sniffing the drivers seat. Most cars are really only driven by one person.

And I know, there is a potential 4th Amendment issue, but that only applies to the police. Not to firefighters, EMTs and SAR volunteers. Anyone who is whiny enough to try to make a civil case, all I can suggest is put them back where you found them.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#85638 - 02/15/07 05:45 AM Re: "Honey, I'm ..."
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I suggest that you contact the local USCG Sector Office and request, under the Freedom of Information Act, a copy of the standard SAR Questionnaire that has to be completed as much as possible at the beginning of a new case.

#85639 - 02/15/07 05:52 AM Re: "Honey, I'm ..."
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Unless I am having another senior moment, some time in the past year or so someone posted a pretty good looking sample form on this forum. I would search for it, but I am on an aircard, but that is slower than a dialup connection, and I just can't stand the waiting. Maybe someone with a high speed connection can do it...

#85640 - 02/15/07 06:00 AM SAR Questionaire
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
That was in a book on SAR my brother lent me years ago, IIRC. Can't remember the name, but about 3-3.5" wide, black spine with white lettering, hard cover. I think one of the covers had someone being lowered in a Stokes on an inclined rock face. The authors helped set up a team in the Rockies back in the 70s, it's supposed to be one of the standard/classic texts on the topic. Is the book ringing any bells with anyone?

I wouldn't be at all surprised if someone here knows of a place where it is available online. BASARC.org used to have them, but their migration to PDF has become hung up and that form is "under construction", if it is the one I'm thinking of.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#85641 - 02/15/07 06:28 AM Re: I'd never heard this one before
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
If you're going to leave a deliberate scent article, don't use something that was in the laundry hamper mixed with other people's clothes. And if possible, use something that isn't loaded with perfumes from the detergent and softener. Just take a clean cotton handkerchief and tuck it inside your waistband, next to your skin for half an hour or so, the drop it in a ziplock bag. Leave it on the seat of your car, labeled 'Joe Smith, scent article'.

Sue

#85642 - 02/15/07 12:45 PM Re: SAR Questionaire
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
FEMA runs most SAR teams now, and sets guidelines for searchers. States arent required to abide by them yet, but, I see it happening in the future, where ever SAR volunteer is "standardized". You can check out the FEMA website, they may have something there too.

#85643 - 02/15/07 02:09 PM Re: I'd never heard this one before
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
That'll work, but I think dog handlers will sometimes give the dog another sniff along the way to refresh the memory. And while, I wouldn't mind them slim jimming my car open, I would mind them ripping all the wiring out of my car door. Modern cars are getting close to impossible to slim jim, even if they don't have a lot of security measures they're chocky full of wiring. I'd just as soon they didn't have to try.

#85645 - 02/15/07 07:48 PM Re: SAR Questionaire
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
Here are a few responses to some of the various posts on this subject.

Actually, FEAM does not run most SAR teams. They do have FEMA funded and supported Urban Search and Rescue Teams (USAR Teams), but most wilderness and non-structural urban search (lost person) teams are either local fire department (east coast) or associated with a Sheriff’s Department (mid- and western regions). All lost person searches are Law Enforcement (LE) events, until proven otherwise. Generally, LE is the entity/agency in charge of the search with fire/rescue in support for the rescue portion of the operation.

Yes, a national credentialing program for wilderness search and rescue, along with swiftwater and a few other rescue specialties that have not historically been covered by the Professional Qualifications Board for the Fire Service. The PBQ, uses NFPA standards for establishing criteria for which to evaluate and certify the level of training of an individual in particular areas of firefighting and rescue. The SAR criteria, while purposed is still under review, but as you point out, is eventually coming.

As to leaving an article of clothing for search purposes, just realize that search dogs, like people are specialized. Air scent dogs, do not or will not use an article of your clothing to perform search operations. They detect any human scent, so it is important not to contaminate the search area with unnecessary personal/visitors. A tracking dog will use an article of clothing to perform their search function. Cadaver dogs detect the byproducts of human remains decay. While there are dogs that cross detect, most are highly specialized.

Pete

#92286 - 04/24/07 04:45 PM Re: "Honey, I'm ..." [Re: teacher]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

...I'll try and find a draft of this form...

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Ren, chaosmagnet), 499 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Today at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.