Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#85370 - 02/11/07 09:53 PM Re: Preventing dehydration in a 1-year old?
REDDOG79 Offline

Loc: ENGLEWOOD ,TN
The only way that i have been able to give my son medicine, before he now (thankfully) drinks out of the measuring cup, was to hold him on the floor and give it to him. The method is as follows:

place him on his back and straddle his chest so i am on my knees over him and put both of his hands above his head and hold his hands together with one of my hands. His arms prevented him from moving his head side to side.

use a syringe type measuring applicator to get it past his lips and give him very small amounts so he would swallow it. If i gave him too much he would spit it all out.

when the medecine is all in him, pick him up, wipe off any medecine that missed, and give him hugs to calm him down as he was usually upset by this time.

Believe me i know it is not real nice to force a child to take medicine like this but i find it much worse for his stubbbornness to keep him from getting better. they also learn what you are doing so by the second time it comes to give them a dose be prepared for the fit throwing and crying to start as soon as you try to give them any medecine.

#85371 - 02/12/07 01:20 AM Re: Preventing dehydration in a 1-year old?
marduk Offline

Loc: Mid-Missouri
Half-strength Gatorade is a good oral rehydration solution. Too much sugar in full-strength, it interefers with absoption of the water. Cheap. A flavor for almost everyone.

#85372 - 02/14/07 09:44 AM Re: Preventing dehydration in a 1-year old?
Raspy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Centre Hall Pa
Here is another rehydration formula. It is better because it includes potassium.

Dr. Orient's Recipe

One teaspoon of "Lite Salt"(by Morton, 1/2 iodized potassium chloride, 1/2 sodium chloride in a blue cylinder),
1/3 teaspoon of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate),
10 teaspoons of table sugar (sucrose),
and one quart of water.

And always remember TANSTAAFL

#85373 - 02/15/07 02:51 AM Re: Preventing dehydration in a 1-year old?
ratbert42 Offline

Loc: Florida
Another vote for the Pedilyte freezer pops. Anything frozen worked (and still works) for our kids, even just an ice cube. Ginger ale with a straw is another sick-time "treat" that gets them to drink, but not warm and flat like some people mentioned.

#85374 - 02/16/07 10:35 AM Re: Preventing dehydration in a 1-year old?
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
My wife & my daughter got severely dehydrated after a bout with the flu. On the same day. At the same time. I found my wife nearly unconcious on the floor early in the morning, called 911. As they were loading her into the ambulance, she was able to mumble that "the baby is sick too..." and sure enough, she was also severely dehydrated. The process of getting an IV into the baby took 10 tries, and I had to hold her while she screamed and begged them to stop. You don't want your kids to dehydrate.
But I found that forcing liquids does not work. Small, frozen bits of stuff, but on a constant basis, works well, Tiny amounts of liquid, given with a shot glass or dropper works too. Avoid over-sweet stuff, and don't give plain water. It never happened again.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 285 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
0 seconds ago
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
Yesterday at 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.