Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#84872 - 02/05/07 12:12 AM Gerber LMF II ASEK Knife
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

I see that Gerber has came out with a new knife called Gerber LMF II ASEK Knife. Suppose ally it's suppose to cut through an aircrafts fuselage and smash through the Plexiglases windows as well as glass and be used as a survival knife to cut through logs by using the log on back of the spine method. All for under a $100. What do you think of this thing, it's definitely not a chopper but the videos are pretty amusing on there website as this guy cuts his way through a metal skin and breaks Plexiglases with it. I wonder what that knife looked like after that. They didn't show that.

LMFII

#84873 - 02/05/07 02:04 AM Re: Gerber LMF II ASEK Knife
Buckshot13 Offline
Stranger

Loc: CA
A couple months ago I was interested in this knife too, although I didn't really care for the partially serrated blade. As far as I know they don't make a non-serrated version. After getting some opinions about it here I decided not to get it. I wanted a good outdoor knife that I could use for camping, hunting, and fishing. I ended up getting the Benchmade 151 Fixed Griptilian. If you're looking for something under $100 this would be something to consider. I got mine for about $60. I'm very glad I got it!

http://www.benchmade.com/products/product_detail.aspx?model=151

#84874 - 02/05/07 02:18 AM Re: Gerber LMF II ASEK Knife
Malpaso Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
Not that new, came out at the 2005 Shot. Reviewed here

#84875 - 02/05/07 02:23 AM Re: Gerber LMF II ASEK Knife
smitty Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Missouri
falcon....
Look at LAPoliceGear.com for a great price on the LMF. They have the black handled one as well.
Like most knives, I've heard good and bad about the LMF. For the price I think it would be a pretty good purchase, though I wouldn't give much more than the price at LA.

smitty

#84876 - 02/05/07 03:32 AM Re: Gerber LMF II ASEK Knife
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

Thanks Smitty for the link, that is a awesome price.

#84877 - 02/05/07 03:35 AM Re: Gerber LMF II ASEK Knife
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

Buckshot and Smitty, what all negatives have you heard about this knife. Not sure about the steel either, haven't did too much research on it yet. I read the link Malpaso showed me, thanks Malpaso. Another one I had looked at was scrap yard knives, part of the Bussie knive kin, but as with all Bussie knives you wait forever to get a knive. But scrap yard had some really cheep prices on some good knives, but they take forever to do anything there and I didn't feel like paying a arm and a leg at the blade forum.

scrapyardknives Blade Forum

#84878 - 02/05/07 04:13 AM Re: Gerber LMF II ASEK Knife
Buckshot13 Offline
Stranger

Loc: CA
Here is my original post on the LMF. I would like the knife much better if they made one without the serrated edge...

http://www.equipped.org/ubbthreads/showf...=true#Post80977

(Is this the correct way to show a link to another post?)

#84879 - 02/05/07 04:13 PM Re: Gerber LMF II ASEK Knife
Meline Offline

Where to start? Frst off, yes I do own one of these.

What I like about it (compared to other knives I've owned)
Blade lenght- at just under 5" the blade is just right to be practicle.

Handle- Full sized and provides good traction even when wet.

Blade material- 12C27 Stainless which is equvilent to Buck's 425M and 440A Stainless hardened to 58 Rc. What does that mean? It won't hold an edge as well as 440C but then it won't chip or be as hard to resharpen either. Its harded to teh same hardness as the legendary Ka-bar but because its made from 12C27 instead of 1025 it won't corrode as easy.

Sheath- Composit, with more securing features than any other knife I have owned. The knife is secured by the sheath itself, then it has two handle securing straps on top of that. So you are going to loose this knife by having it fall out of teh sheath, but you're not going to be able to draw it fast for self defence either.

Blade design- Spear point (AKA modified drop point). For a general purpose knife I like this as its harder to break or bend than other designs.

Sharpener- I love its sharpener. IIt looks like Gerber's ceramic V sticks built in to the sheath. So you have a reliable sharpener that you're not going to loose with you. The only down side is it really won't do much for teh serations on the blade.

Why I bought one? I was looking at multi-purpose knife for both military field work and camping/backpacking. I wanted a fixed blade, 4-6" (my Kabar at 7" blade lenght was great fo military field work but just to big for camping uses), hard sheath (after having a knife 'poke' through its leather sheath), metal butt cap (had a Cold Steel SRK handle "bend over" on me), had to be SS (I didn't want any maint problems with corrosion), and under $100 (as its only a knife, my opinion is if you're betting your life on your knife alone you are one hurting camper. A good $60-90 knife and $50-80 worth of gear is better than GREAT $140 knife).

What sold te LMF on me?
Blade design and blade material. It meets ASEK specs (I only know of two other knives that do). The sharpener. The shaeth design with both a belt loop and MOLLE straps. Finally the handle itself.

Knife gimicks- The whole "lash it to a pole and make a spear". Yeah right. But the holes do make for good "Dummy cord" attachment points. Handle isulated from electric shock, in an ASEK knife I could see where that would be Extremely handy but I would hate to put that one to the test.

Overall I really like this knife, butI felt it was a little pricely to be honest.

#84880 - 02/05/07 05:52 PM Re: Gerber LMF II ASEK Knife
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
12C27 is the steel most commonly used for Puukko's by Frosts, EKA et al. Its a good steel that gives an acceptable compromise between edge retention and ease of sharpening.
It's a much better knife than the POS issued at present. By several orders of magnitude.

#84881 - 02/06/07 04:13 AM Re: Gerber LMF II ASEK Knife
smitty Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Missouri
falcon....
Most of the negative comments were about the steel being too mild and easily dulled. But as Meline pointed out above, it's the same hardness as the Ka-bar and many people swear by them.
The other issue is a lot of people do not like serrated knives. On one hand the serrations are good if you need to hack through something in a hurry. On the other hand if you need to do any controlled cutting, the dang serrations are in the way.
It really boils down to personal preference on the serrations.
Go to this page,The Knife Edge FAQ by Joe Talmadge, for some good reading on plain edge verses serrated edge blades.

smitty

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (jds), 540 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Today at 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.